Italian cultural attractions go on strike over cuts

A hall inside Rome's Maxxi museum of contemporary art (archive image) Rome's Maxxi art museum is on strike

Related Stories

Most of Italy's major cultural attractions are closed because of a one-day strike over government plans to cut their funding.

Hundreds of museums, art galleries and heritage sites are affected.

The Italian government wants to cut 280 million euros (£237m, $380m) from the culture budget over the next three years as part of an austerity drive.

Italy has more World Heritage Sites than any other country, a fact that has put even greater strain on funding.

The collapse of a house at Pompeii last weekend raised new questions over the country's ability to maintain its heritage.

Culture Minister Sandro Bondi came under pressure to resign after the "House of the Gladiators" fell down at the 2,000-year-old site.

Critics blamed a lack of money for maintenance and say it is an example of why Italy's culture investment should rise, not fall, the BBC's Duncan Kennedy reports.

The government says it is trying to attract private investment to safeguard the country's rich cultural portfolio and help ease the strain on the over-extended public purse. But it argues that it cannot avoid making painful economies.

Closed or restricted

Tourists will have a hard time finding a cultural institution that is open in Italy on Friday, our correspondent says.

Around 800 museums, art galleries, libraries and heritage sites will be affected by the strike.

Those that are not fully closed will have restricted hours.

The strikes will affect 11 museums in Venice and others in Turin, Florence and also Rome, where its newly opened Maxxi museum of modern art will be among the sites shut.

Italian heritage experts warn that many other monuments, including Bologna's twin towers, Florence's Cathedral and Nero's Golden House in Rome, are vulnerable to collapse.

"With no maintenance and non-existent funds, the whole of Italy is at risk of collapsing," Alessandra Mottola Molfino, head of the heritage charity Our Italy, told the AFP news agency earlier this week.

More on This Story

Related Stories

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

More Europe stories

RSS

Features & Analysis

  • California reservoirTapped out

    Is California about to run out of water?


  • Man on planeKnee jerks

    When is it acceptable to recline your seat on flights?


  • Romo in Washington DCDoggie in the window

    Why are strangers photographing this pet?


  • A protestor in Ferguson, Missouri is confronted by a police officer weilding a shotgun.Fatal flaw

    Why no one knows how many Americans are killed by police


Elsewhere on the BBC

  • Child museumChild's play

    Should children be allowed to run wild in museums? BBC Culture investigates

Programmes

  • Going through ice across the Northwest PassageThe Travel Show Watch

    Navigating the treacherous Northwest Passage through ice and Arctic storms

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.