Bulgaria profile - Media
- 13 July 2015
- From the section Europe
Global media giants have a stake in Bulgaria's lively broadcasting market. TV is the most popular medium.
International media group CME runs bTV, Bulgaria's most-watched channel. Scandinavian company MTG operates national station Nova TV.
There are several private regional TVs and many private radio stations. Cable and satellite are the main distribution platforms. Media ownership is concentrated among a handful of individuals.
Bulgaria is the lowest-ranked EU state in the Reporters Without Borders (RSF) 2015 Press Freedom Index. Journalists "routinely shape their reporting to suit the political and economic interests of owners or major advertisers" says US-based Freedom House.
Some 4.1 million Bulgarians were online by 2014 (InternetLiveStats.com). International social media platforms - Facebook in particular - are popular.
- Dnevnik - daily
- 24 Chasa - daily
- Telegraf - daily
- Trud - daily
- Presa - daily
- Monitor - daily
- Standart - daily
- Sega - daily
- Kapital - political, economic weekly
- BNT (Bulgarian National Television) - public, runs two national and four regional channels and satellite TV for diaspora
- bTV - private, national
- Nova TV - private, national
- BNR (Bulgarian National Radio) - public, operates flagship network Horizont, cultural network Hristo Botev, regional stations
- Darik Radio - private, national
- BG Radio - private, national