Global media giants have a stake in Bulgaria's lively broadcasting market. TV is the most popular platform for news.
International media group CME runs bTV, Bulgaria's first national commercial channel. Scandinavian company MTG operates national station Nova TV.
There are several private regional TVs and many private radio stations. Cable and satellite are the main distribution platforms. Two rival publishers dominate the print media scene.
Reporters Without Borders ranked Bulgaria last among EU countries in its 2012 Press Freedom Index. "Respecting the business interests of media owners and silencing any information that may be interpreted as harmful is widely accepted by most reporters as a way of doing journalism," concluded a 2012 report by the Vienna-based South-East Europe Media Organisation.
Some 3.6 million Bulgarians were online by June 2012 (Internetworldstats.com). International social media platforms - Facebook in particular - are popular.
- Dnevnik - daily
- 24 Chasa - daily
- Telegraf - daily
- Trud - daily
- Novinar - daily
- Monitor - daily
- Standart - daily
- Kapital - political, economic weekly
- The Sofia Echo - English-language
- BNT (Bulgarian National Television) - public, operates Kanal 1 and satellite channel TV Bulgaria
- bTV - private, national
- Nova TV - private, national
- BNR (Bulgarian National Radio) - public, operates flagship network Horizont, cultural network Hristo Botev
- Darik Radio - private, national