Portugal profile - Media
Portugal's commercial TVs have a lion's share of the viewing audience, and provide tough competition for the public broadcaster.
Public TV is operated by RTP. The main private networks are TVI and SIC. Multichannel TV is available via cable, satellite, digital terrestrial and internet protocol TV (IPTV). Cable is the dominant platform.
The switchover to digital TV was completed in 2012.
The public radio, RDP, competes with national commercial networks, Roman Catholic station Radio Renascenca and some 300 local and regional outlets.
Press freedom is guaranteed under the constitution and laws against insulting the government or armed forces are rarely enforced, says Freedom House.
There were 5.9 million internet users by June 2012 (Internetworldstats).
- Diario de Noticias - daily
- Publico - daily
- Correio da Manha - daily
- Jornal de Noticias - daily
- Expresso - weekly
- The Portugal News - English-language weekly
- Algarve Resident - English-language weekly
- Algarve Daily News - English-language
- RTP - public, operates RTP1, RTP2 and external services RTP Africa, RTP Internacional
- SIC - commercial, channels include cable news station SIC Noticias
- TVI - commercial
- Zon - main pay-TV operator
- RDP - public, operates national networks, regional and external services
- Radio Comercial - national, commercial
- TSF - national, commercial
- Radio Renascenca - church-run