Europe

Istanbul airport attack: 30 charged including foreigners

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan (left) praying at Ataturk airport, 2 July 16 Image copyright EPA
Image caption Turkey's President Erdogan (left of front row, no tie) joined in prayers for the victims at the airport

Turkey has charged 17 more suspects - 11 of them allegedly foreigners - over the bombings which caused carnage at Istanbul's Ataturk airport last month.

The arrests bring to 30 the total number held over the suicide assault, which killed 44 people and injured 240.

The suspects are accused of involvement in terrorism, Dogan news agency says.

Turkey believes so-called Islamic State (IS) was behind the attack. A Russian from the North Caucasus, an Uzbek and a Kyrgyz were identified as the bombers.

Thirteen, including three foreigners, were charged on Sunday.

The organiser of the attack has been named by Turkish media as Akhmed Chatayev, a Chechen believed to have acted as an IS recruiter.

It is not clear where he is now. The Russian news website Kommersant says he has Austrian refugee status and that he lost an arm during fighting in Russia's troubled North Caucasus.

Related Topics

More on this story