Phone-hacking scandal: Specsavers suspends advertising
Specsavers has announced it is to stop advertising in the News of the World in light of the phone-hacking scandal.
The Guernsey-based company announced the decision on Thursday.
Richard Holmes, its group marketing director, said: "I have decided that... we will not place any more advertising with them until further notice."
It follows allegations that the paper may have hacked into the mobile phones of bereaved military families and the relatives of murder victims.
The optical group joins a number of large companies such as Boots, Sainsbury's and Dixons in suspending its advertising with the publication.
The Met police has promised to contact all 4,000 people whose names appear in 11,000 pages of notes made by an investigator working for the paper.
Deputy Assistant Commissioner Sue Akers, who is in charge of the police investigation into phone hacking, said many people had already been contacted and others, whose details appear in the documents, would be contacted "as quickly as possible".
On Wednesday, UK Prime Minister David Cameron announced he would be consulting MPs about the nature of a public inquiry into the phone-hacking claims, amid support by the deputy prime minister and the Labour leader for a judge-led hearing, with powers to call evidence and examine witnesses under oath.