Isle Of Man / Ellan Vannin

Isle of Man brings in English tests for non-EU spouses

Non-European migrant spouses of British citizens on the Isle of Man must now take an English test if they apply to live temporarily on the island.

The Immigration Office has introduced tests to ensure that spouses can speak and understand English.

It must be taken by new applicants born outside Europe who have a relationship with a Manx national and who are not from an English-speaking country.

The only exemption is for candidates who have a degree taught in English.

An Immigration Office spokesman said: "Anyone who is in the Isle of Man and thinks they may need to meet the English language requirement for an application to stay here as the partner of a settled person should contact the Isle of Man College for information about the availability of English courses and tests."

He added: "The new requirement applies to applications for entry clearance, leave to enter, leave to remain and further leave to remain.

"It does not apply to indefinite leave to remain or citizenship applications where the existing Knowledge of Life test requirement continues to apply, which includes an English test.

"Any spouse who has already officially settled here and who does not speak English does not need to take the test. This new English test is only for new applicants."

Applicants requesting leave to remain and extended leave to remain typically request to live and work on the Isle of Man for periods of two years, the spokesman said.

Non-Europeans who do not have a spouse who is a British citizen living on the Isle of Man are not eligible to apply to live and work on the island.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites