Isle Of Man / Ellan Vannin

Elderly woman hurt in fire caused by electric blanket

A elderly woman has been taken to Noble's Hospital suffering from smoke inhalation after a fire thought to be caused by an electric blanket.

Fire crews were called to a bedroom fire at Ridgeway Road in Onchan on Wednesday at around 17:45 BST.

The elderly occupant was rescued from the ground floor.

Isle of Man Fire and Rescue Service said people needed to have electric blankets regularly checked and ensure smoke alarms are in good working order.

Four firefighters brought the fire under control and contained it to the bedroom.

Station Officer Carl Kinvig said: "We would urge everyone to make sure all smoke detectors are in good working order.

"Test them once a week, and change the battery every year. Never remove the battery to use in other electrical items."

Electric blankets should be tested every two years and disposed of after 10, the fire service added.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites