Things to do in Jersey
A few suggestions to help get the best out of island life.
The proceeds of a concert by the Band of the Island of Jersey will go to the Red Cross Japan Tsunami Appeal.
Musical Director Nick Manning said all the members of the band were shocked to see the terrible devastation.
The band is playing at the Town Hall on Monday 28 March from 1930 BST. Entry is free with a retiring collection.
Like this, try these...
- The Arts Centre Theatre present 8 by 8 at the Jersey Arts Centre from Wednesday 23 to Saturday 26 March. It contains strong language and is suitable for 14 years + (Tickets: Adults £9 and students £7)
- The Jersey Film Society are showing the 1955 film The Ladykillers at the Arts Centre on Monday 28 March. (Tickets are £5 for adults and £3 for students and are only available on the door)
- Foursight Theatre and Teatro do Montemuro presents Pertencia at the Arts Centre on Tuesday 29 and Wednesday 30 March at 8pm. (Tickets: Adult: £16 and Student: £10)
Escola das Artes, Madeira in partnership with the Jersey Academy of Music will perform in a concert at the Town Hall on Sunday 27 March at 0315 BST.
The organisers said all are welcome and refreshments will be served.
Tickets cost £5 for adults and £3 for concessions and will be available at the door.
Like this, try these...
- There's a Spring winds concert by La Ronde Concert Band at the Town Hall at 2000GMT on Wednesday 23 March. Entry will be free, but there is a retiring collection in aid of the Christchurch Earthquake Appeal.
- Also on Wednesday 23 March - at 1930GMT the Park Life choir are holding a concert at All Saints Church on behalf of the Jersey Overseas Aid Ghana 2011 project.
- 1970s punk band, Sham 69 will be performing at the Drift on Thursday 24 March from 2100 GMT. Entry to the event is free but is strictly 18+
- At the Drift from 2100GMT on Friday 25 March is local band Inside Job. Mixing a blend of rock, pop, blues, soul and jazz spanning five decades of music.
- Beaulieu Convent School have their Grand Diamond Jubilee Concert on Saturday 26 March at 1930GMT at the Jersey Opera House. (Tickets: £12 adults, £10 for students and seniors citizens)
The Jersey Army Cadets is holding an open day for new recruits this Sunday 27 March.
It will be a chance for potential recruits to see what the Cadets get up to on Thursday evenings and Sunday mornings.
The Open Day is at the Jersey Army Cadet's headquarters at the TA Barracks on Mount Bingham between 1030 and 1300 BST.
Visitors will get the chance to take part in training activities with the Cadets, including - Skill at Arms with the Cadet Rifle, a Rope/Engineering Exercise, Basha building, Fieldcraft and First Aid.
Like this, try these...
- The Spring Flower show begins at 1030GMT on Saturday 26 March at the Royal Jersey Showground in Trinity. The Royal Jersey Agricultural and Horticultural Society invite islanders to their springtime show, featuring displays, demonstrations, workshops and competitions. (Admission is £3 for adults, and under 16s and members go free)
- The Kennel Club of Jersey have their first Championship Show of the year also at the Royal Jersey Showground, in Trinity on Saturday 26 March. Three judges will be coming over from the UK, and dogs are coming over from Guernsey and the UK for the show.
- The Jersey Farm and Craft Market is on in the square outside the parish hall from 1000 - 1400 GMT on Saturday 26 March. Lots of stalls selling scallops and fish, sausages, organically grown vegetables and eggs, charcuterie, cakes, crepes, ceramics, home accessories, textiles, photography, jewellery and cards. There will also be music from Kevin Pallot and the Pinnacles.
- There is also a Walk on the Wild Side every Saturday in March - guided by Kazz Padidar of Jersey Adventures. It introduces Jersey's wildlife and which plants are edible and medicinal. It teaches non-compass navigation and cordage making, together with knife demonstrations and fire-lighting techniques. Meeting point is advised when you book.
- Every Sunday until September the Jersey Kart and Motor Club will be racing on the North Coast Track at Sorel Point in St John. (Free entry)
Art and Culture
The Jersey Craft Workers Spring fayre will have over 40 stalls at the Living Legend on Saturday 26 and Sunday 27 March.
Islanders will be selling hand made crafts including jewellery, knitted goods and handmade cards.
Like this? try these...
- Spring Specials - half of Jersey's restaurants are taking part in the culinary event - showing off the best of the seasons produce in special menus. It runs until 14 April.
- Societe Jersiaise lunchtime talks continue on Thursday 24 March at 1315 - 1345GMT, in the Members' Room, at 7 Pier Road. The speaker will be Graeme Harris on "Jersey Hotels that have Ceased Trading in recent years" part two.