Jersey

Jersey fire service issue chip pan warning

Damage caused by kitchen fire in St Saviour, Jersey
Image caption The whole of the St Saviour flat suffered severe smoke damage

Fire chiefs have warned people about using chip pans following a blaze in Jersey on Sunday.

Two fire engines were called to the kitchen fire in a flat in St Saviour just before 1800 GMT.

The fire service said an unattended chip pan was thought to be cause, but investigations were ongoing.

It said having smoke alarms to warn householders and replacing oil pans with deep-fat fryers could help avoid similar incidents.

The alarm was raised by neighbours, who said they could see thick black smoke coming through the ground-floor windows.

The whole of the flat suffered severe smoke damage.

A spokesperson for the service said: "This fire came about for a set of relatively common occurrences, yet the damage, smell and terrible disruption to the family is shocking to view.

"We all need to take note to try and prevent an event like this happening to us."

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites