Woman and child saved from fire in Jersey by smoke alarm

Conservatory destroyed by fire Jersey Fire and Rescue Service said the most likely cause of the blaze was a faulty heater in the conservatory

A smoke alarm saved the lives of a woman and a child when a fire broke out at their home in Jersey.

The blaze in St John's started in the conservatory and spread to rest of the building.

Paramedics treated an eight-year-old boy and his mother for smoke inhalation. The boy's father was also treated after he returned to the property while it was on fire.

Emergency services were called to the house at about 00:50 GMT.

A spokesman from Jersey Fire and Rescue Service said the building was extensively damaged by smoke and the conservatory was completely destroyed by the fire.

He said the most likely cause of the fire was a faulty heater in the conservatory.

Martin Alex, the director of emergency response, said: "Mum and the boy made their way out of the house… they were met by dad who was returning from a night out with friends just outside the house."

Dave Dingle, watch commander, said: "This was a serious incident but it could have very easily been a tragedy."

More on This Story

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Jersey

Weather

St Helier

Min. Night 15 °C

Features & Analysis

Elsewhere on the BBC

  • FutureThe future is now

    Get the latest updates and biggest ideas from BBC Future’s World-Changing Ideas Summit

Programmes

  • A virtual girlfriendClick Watch

    Using the latest tech to find friends on a night out and meet a virtual girlfriend

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.