Jersey

Jersey restaurant diners evacuated after kitchen blaze

St Aubin fire
Image caption It took more than 20 firefighters to tackle the blaze at the Boat House

Up to 170 people were forced to leave a busy restaurant on Friday after a blaze broke out.

Fire crews were called to The Boat House in St Aubin at 20:30 BST after receiving several 999 calls.

The service believes the fire began in the kitchen before spreading to the roof.

More than 20 firefighters tackled the blaze and were at the scene for several hours.

Watch Commander Richard Ryan praised restaurant staff for getting everyone out of the building to safety.

Chief fire officer Mark James, said the fire was understood to have started in the kitchen in a flue from the cooking range.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites