Latin America & Caribbean

Mexico mine rescuers recover last of 14 bodies

People carry the coffin of miner Juan Carlos Escobedo Chavez at his funeral at a cemetery in Sabinas, 7 May 2011
Image caption The local community has been turning out for the men's funerals

Rescue workers have recovered the final bodies from a coal mine which caved in after a gas explosion last Tuesday in northern Mexico.

Fourteen miners were killed underground when the blast shook the vertical-shaft mine in Coahuila state.

Mexican Labour Minister Javier Lozano Alarcon has said the men's deaths will prompt reforms in the mining sector.

Mr Lozano said heavy fines would be imposed on those who flout safety regulations.

The pit is situated near the site of one of the country's worst mining disasters, in San Juan de Sabinas, where 65 men were killed in 2006.

The methane blast on 3 May was so powerful that it seriously injured a teenager who was working outside the mine.

The small mine had been operating for less than a month.

More on this story