Guatemala profile - Media
Press freedom is enshrined in the constitution and newspapers freely criticise the government.
Nonetheless, many journalists face intimidation because of their reporting. It is dangerous for them to "take too much interest" in organised crime, corruption or human rights violations during the civil war, Reporters Without Borders said in 2011.
Private operators dominate the media. Four national TV channels share the same owner and have a virtual monopoly in TV broadcasting. They have been criticised for being pro-government. Press ownership is "concentrated in the hands of business elites", reports US-based Freedom House.
There were 2.7 million internet users in 2014 (via Internetlivestats). Facebook is the leading social network.
- Prensa Libre - private daily
- La Hora - private daily
- elPeriodico - private daily
- Siglo Veintiuno - private, business-oriented daily
- Canal 3 - commercial
- Teleonce (Canal 11) - commercial
- Televisiete (Canal 7) Televisiete (Canal 7) - commercial
- Trecevision (Canal 13) - commercial