Trinidad's Jack Warner resigns amid fraud inquiry
- 22 April 2013
- From the section Latin America & Caribbean
A former top figure in international football, Jack Warner, has resigned as Trinidad and Tobago's minister of security amid an inquiry into fraud.
Investigators at the Caribbean, North and Central American international football body, Concacaf, accuse Mr Warner of embezzlement.
He stepped down as Concacaf's president in 2011.
Mr Warner, a former vice-president of the international football federation Fifa, denies any wrongdoing.
But he has been under pressure at home since the investigation's findings were revealed on Friday.
Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar said in a short statement on Sunday that Mr Warner had offered to resign from her cabinet and she had accepted his decision.
"I wish to thank Mr Warner for his service to the government and people of Trinidad and Tobago,'' she said.
A Concacaf ethics panel accused Mr Warner and former secretary general Chuck Blazer of enriching themselves through fraud during their time with the football body.
They are accused of failing to disclose that a $25.9m (£17m) centre of excellence was built on Mr Warner's land and that Mr Blazer received $20m from Concacaf.
Neither Mr Warner nor Mr Blazer co-operated with the investigation, which was based on documents and 38 interviews, and Mr Blazer has also denied any wrongdoing.
Mr Warner stood down from his role with Fifa in 2011 after being accused of paying bribes to Caribbean associations.
He had already been suspended by Fifa but his decision to resign meant that all investigations into him were closed.