Colombia flats collapse: Body found in Medellin block
- 14 October 2013
- From the section Latin America & Caribbean
Rescue workers searching the rubble of a collapsed block of flats in north-west Colombia for at least 11 missing people say they have found one body.
The 24-storey tower in the city of Medellin collapsed on Saturday night having been evacuated on Friday after cracks were found in its structure.
A team of construction workers and at least one resident were in the block when it came down.
Neighbouring towers could be at risk and have been cleared, officials say.
The collapse of tower six in The Space condominium happened shortly before 20:30 local time (01:30 GMT) on Saturday, officials say.
Residents of the neighbouring building told local media it sounded as if bombs had exploded.
Most of the missing are workers who had been sent by construction company CDO Constructora to assess and repair the structural damage.
A resident believed to have been in the building's car park when the accident happened was also reported missing.
Medellin Mayor Claudia Restrepo said on Sunday that a body had been located on the third floor of the building.
The body has not yet been identified or removed, she added.
Around 60 people with sniffer dogs have been searching the rubble but heavy rain and fears of another collapse have hampered the rescue effort.
Earlier, emergency officials said that one of two people rescued early on Sunday could be paralysed.
The Space flats were completed earlier this year and cost between $100,000 (£67,000) and $265,000 (£166,000).
The Medellin authorities have launched an inquiry into the cause of the collapse.
CDO Constructora said a flaw had been found in a concrete column.