Palestinian territories profile - Media
- 31 August 2011
- From the section Middle East
Television is the key source for news and information in the Palestinian areas.
The Palestinian media environment reflects the struggle between Fatah, which controls the West Bank, and Hamas, which controls the Gaza Strip.
The key broadcasting outlets are the Palestinian Authority's PBC and Hamas's Al-Aqsa Media Network, each of which has its own satellite TV, terrestrial TV and radio station. There are 30 private terrestrial TV channels and at least 35 radio stations. Newspapers include pro-Palestinian Authority titles and a pro-Hamas daily. Pan-Arab satellite TVs, including Qatar's Al-Jazeera, are popular.
The Fatah-Hamas conflict has complicated an already-difficult environment for journalists, making the Palestinian territories among the most dangerous places to work. Attacks on journalists are commonplace. Journalists are subject to intimidation by the Israeli military, though to a lesser degree than by Fatah and Hamas. Self-censorship is widespread. Reporters Without Borders ranked the Palestinian Territories 163 out of 173 countries in its 2008 Press Freedom Index.
In 2008, internet penetration stood at 14.8%. The web has largely been spared the harassment suffered by other media outlets. Tests by the OpenNet Initiative (ONI) showed no evidence of technical filtering.
- Al-Quds - private, Jerusalem-based, largest-circulation Palestinian daily
- Al-Ayyam - private, Ramallah-based daily
- Al-Hayat Al-Jadidah - Palestinian National Authority daily
- Filastin - Hamas-affiliated daily
- Palestinian Broadcasting Corporation (PBC) - controlled by Palestinian leadership in Ramallah, operates Voice of Palestine
- Al Aqsa radio - Hamas-run station in Gaza
- Palestinian Broadcasting Corporation (PBC) - controlled by Palestinian leadership in Ramallah, operates Palestine TV and Palestine Satellite Channel
- Al-Aqsa TV - Hamas-run station in Gaza, terrestrial and via satellite
- Private stations include Al-Quds Educational TV, Al-Mahd TV, Al-Majd TV, Al-Nawras TV, Watan TV