8 July 2013
Last updated at 11:02 ET
Tensions and emotions are running high in Egypt after a shooting at a military barracks in the capital, Cairo, on Monday morning that left more than 50 people dead.
Violence broke out in the early hours outside the Presidential Guard Club in eastern Cairo, where supporters of ousted President Mohammed Morsi believe he is being held.
Pro-Morsi demonstrators had been staging a sit-in there demanding his release and reinstatement as president. They said soldiers opened fire on them in an unprovoked attack.
Many of them are members of the Muslim Brotherhood, the movement to which Mr Morsi belongs. They said they had been preparing for pre-dawn prayers at the time of the attack.
The army had a different account, saying a "terrorist group" had tried to storm the barracks. It said it had arrested some 200 people and seized weapons, ammunition and petrol bombs.
Many of the wounded were taken to overwhelmed local hospitals or treated at makeshift field clinics.
The Brotherhood has called for Egyptian people to stage an uprising against "those trying to steal their revolution".
The army stepped in last week to remove Mohammed Morsi from power - a move it said was aimed at ending weeks of unrest.
It followed massive protests, focusing on Cairo's Tahrir Square, by Egyptians who accused Mr Mohammed Morsi of failing to address Egypt's worsening economic and social problems.
But his supporters say the army's actions amounted to a coup against Mr Morsi, elected in the country's first democratic elections after Hosni Mubarak was driven from power in 2011.
The area around the Presidential Guard barracks remains tense - the army has blocked access but Morsi supporters are continuing their protests.
Egypt's newly-installed interim leader, Adly Mansour, has expressed sorrow over the deaths, but urged self-restraint to uphold national interests and the country's security.