Yemen violence: Deadly bomb blast hits air force bus
- 25 August 2013
- From the section Middle East
A bomb blast has struck a bus transporting air force personnel to their base in the Yemeni capital, Sanaa, killing at least one person, officials say.
More than 20 are reported to have been wounded.
The bus was travelling on the road leading to Sanaa international airport, near the base, an official said.
The government is battling al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula militants who often target the military.
Earlier, officials and witnesses said six people were killed in the attack.
Air force spokesman Col Mahdi al-Aidarous said about 24 officers and soldiers were on the bus, the Associated Press news agency reports.
Earlier this month, suspected al-Qaeda militants killed five soldiers in an attack on a gas terminal in southern Yemen.
And in early August, the US closed 19 diplomatic missions in the Middle East and Africa in response to what it said was a threat of a terrorist attack.
Other missions reopened earlier, but the US embassy in Sanaa remained closed until Tuesday "because of ongoing concerns".
At the same time, the UK withdrew diplomatic staff from Yemen, closing its embassy in Sanaa and urging its citizens to leave. The embassy reopened a week ago.