US & Canada

Casey Anthony freed after toddler murder acquittal

Media playback is unsupported on your device
Media captionRajesh Mirchandani says the case made a lot of headlines in the US

US single mother Casey Anthony has been released from jail after being acquitted earlier this month of her two-year-old daughter's murder in 2008.

However, she was sentenced to four years in prison for lying to police investigating the death.

She was given credit for time already served before the trial, and was released from a Florida jail in the early hours of Sunday morning.

The case has gripped the US since Caylee Anthony's disappearance.

The girl's skeletal remains were discovered in a wooded area about a quarter of a mile (400m) from the family home, in the south-eastern city of Orlando, in December 2008, six months after she was last seen.

At first, Anthony, 25, said Caylee was kidnapped by a nanny, then at trial said she had drowned in a swimming pool.

After a six-week trial covered extensively by the news media, a jury cleared her of murder and child-abuse charges.

But she was convicted of lying to investigators after she reported Caylee missing in the summer of 2008 - more than a month after the girl actually disappeared.

Some people holding placards gathered outside Orange County Jail to protest against her release on Sunday.

Anthony's lawyers have said she has received numerous threats, the Associated Press news agency reports.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites