US & Canada

Michael Jackson doctor 'did not tell about propofol'

Media playback is unsupported on your device
Media captionDoctor Murray's response to a question by Richard Senneff "did not add up", the paramedic said as he gave evidence

A jury has heard that Michael Jackson's doctor Conrad Murray failed to tell paramedics he had been giving the star propofol as they tried to revive him.

Dr Murray said only that he gave Jackson the sedative lorazepam and the singer had no medical conditions, paramedic Richard Senneff testified.

Prosecutors allege Dr Murray lied to paramedics about Jackson's health, and covered up his use of propofol.

Dr Murray pleads not guilty to the charge of involuntary manslaughter.

Mr Senneff, who was the first member of his paramedic team to enter Jackson's bedroom, said Dr Murray appeared to be agitated and was sweating profusely.

"I knew that we got there very, very quickly. It meant we'd have a good chance of restarting the heart if that was the issue," Mr Senneff said.

But Jackson's skin was cool to the touch and his eyes were open, suggesting his heart had been stopped for more than five minutes, the paramedic said.

"That did not add up to me," he said to the jury.

The paramedic said he made other observations in the 42 minutes he spent trying to revive Jackson, which did not seem consistent with the information Dr Murray was telling him.

He told the court he saw Dr Murray collecting items near Jackson's bed, after the body was taken down to the ambulance.

The doctor also spent some moments alone in the star's bedroom before travelling with the paramedics to the hospital, he added.

'Gross negligence'

In the first week of the trial the jury has heard from Jackson's concert promoter, choreographer, personal assistant and security guards.

Prosecutors have scrutinised events during the moments after Jackson stopped breathing, in an attempt to show that the doctor was trying to hide Jackson's use of propofol.

They claim Dr Murray's "gross negligence" of the star while administering the powerful sedative caused Jackson's death.

Dr Murray's lawyers argue that Jackson self-administered the fatal dose of propofol while Dr Murray was out of the room.

Also giving evidence on Friday was Dr Richelle Cooper, the medic in charge of the emergency room at the Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center where Michael Jackson was taken.

"When the paramedics arrived, the patient had no signs of life, was clinically dead," she said.

"I made a determination based on that... to pronounce the patient dead."

If convicted, Dr Murray could face up to four years in prison and lose his licence to practise medicine. The trial resumes on Monday and is expected to last about five weeks.

More on this story