Iran dismisses US nuclear talks New York Times report

Iranian Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi. Photo: October 2012 Iranian FM Ali Akbar Salehi: "No discussions with the US."

Iran has denied a report in the New York Times saying that it had agreed to one-on-one talks over its controversial nuclear programme with the US.

"We don't have any discussions or negotiations with America," Iranian Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi said.

The New York Times' report was also described as inaccurate by the US.

The report, quoting unnamed officials, said Iran had agreed to the talks for the first time but would not hold them until after US elections on 6 November.

Western states think Iran is seeking nuclear weapons - a claim denied by Tehran.

Iran has been a key foreign policy topic in the US election campaign.

No breakthrough

"The (nuclear) talks are ongoing with the P5+1 group of nations. Other than that, we have no discussions with the United States," Mr Salehi told reporters on Sunday.

Satellite image provided by GeoEye in September 2009 showing facility under construction inside a mountain some 20 miles (32km) north-east of Qom, Iran Iran maintains that its nuclear programme is solely for civilian purposes

He was referring to the negotiations with the five permanent UN Security Council members - Britain, China, France, Russia and the US - and also Germany.

Several rounds of talks this year have failed to yield any breakthrough.

Earlier on Sunday, US National Security Council spokesman Tommy Vietor said that it was untrue that Washington and Tehran had "agreed to one-on-one talks or any meeting after the American elections".

"We continue to work... on a diplomatic solution and have said from the outset that we would be prepared to meet bilaterally," the spokesman added.

In its report, the New York Times said the US and Iran had agreed to one-on-one negotiations "in principle".

Western nations have used increasingly harsh sanctions in an effort to pressure Iran over its nuclear programme.

President Barack Obama and Republican challenger Mitt Romney will hold their third and final campaign debate on Monday, on the subject of foreign policy.

Mr Romney has accused Mr Obama of being too soft on Iran.

Mr Obama opposes a near-term military strike by the US or Israel on Iran's nuclear facilities, but says he is determined to stop Iran from building a nuclear bomb.

"The president has made clear that he will prevent Iran from getting a nuclear weapon, and we will do what we must to achieve that," Mr Vietor said.

"The onus is on the Iranians to do so, otherwise they will continue to face crippling sanctions and increased pressure."

More on This Story

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

More US & Canada stories

RSS

Features & Analysis

  • Stained glass of man with swordFrance 1 England 0

    The most important battle you have probably never heard of


  • Golden retriever10 things

    Dogs get jealous, and nine more nuggets from the week's news


  • Pro-Israel demonstrators shout slogans while protesting in Berlin - 25 July 2014Holocaust guilt

    Gaza conflict leaves Germans confused over who to support


  • The emir of Kuwait Sheikh Sabah al-Ahmad al-Jaber al-SabahFreedoms fear

    Growing concern for rights as Kuwait revokes citizenships


Elsewhere on the BBC

  • CastleRoyal real estate

    No longer reserved for kings and queens, some find living in a castle simply divine

Programmes

  • Leader of Hamas Khaled MeshaalHARDtalk Watch

    BBC exclusive: Hamas leader on the eagerness to end bloodshed in Gaza

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.