Strauss-Kahn lawyers deny $6m deal with hotel maid

Dominique Strauss-Kahn in Kiev, 4 April 2012 Dominique Strauss-Kahn admitted to a moral failing

Related Stories

Lawyers for former International Monetary Fund chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn have denied reports he has settled a lawsuit with a hotel maid who accused him of sexual assault.

They denied reports that a deal of $6m (£3.7m; 4.6m euros) had been agreed and said negotiations were still under way.

Mr Strauss-Kahn was held in New York in May 2011 after Nafissatou Diallo said he assaulted her in his hotel suite.

Prosecutors later dropped charges amid concerns about her credibility.

Lawyers William Taylor III and Amit Mehta said in a statement on Friday that reports of a settlement were "flatly false".

"The parties have discussed a resolution but there has been no settlement. Mr Strauss-Kahn will continue to defend the charges if no resolution can be reached," their statement said.

'Moral failing'

It was reported on Thursday that a deal was said to have been struck in recent days at the Bronx Supreme Court.

Details of the deal were not reported at the time and correspondents said they were likely to be subject to a confidentiality agreement.

But unnamed sources close to Mr Strauss-Kahn, quoted by France's Le Monde newspaper, said he had planned to pay Ms Diallo $6m.

The sources also said half would have been paid by Mr Strauss-Kahn and half would have been loaned to him by his wife Anne Sinclair, from whom he formally separated last month.

After charges were dropped Ms Diallo, 33, opened a civil suit for undisclosed damages against the former French politician. Mr Strauss-Kahn, 63, called the lawsuit defamatory and countersued.

Sex cases against Strauss-Kahn

  • Civil case on sexual assault charge in New York - settlement apparently reached
  • Criminal case on sexual assault charge in New York - dropped August 2011
  • Police investigation linking him to suspected vice ring at luxury hotel in Lille, France - ongoing
  • Criminal case on attempted rape claims in Paris - dropped October 2011
  • Investigation on "gang rape" claims in Washington - dropped October 2012

Her case opened the floodgates to a slew of others sexual allegations against Mr Strauss-Kahn, leading him to resign from his IMF post.

It was widely seen as having ruined his chance of becoming the socialist presidential candidate in his native France.

A court date between Mr Strauss-Kahn and Ms Diallo's lawyers is expected next week, although a day has not been set, reports the New York Times.

She told police that when she arrived to clean his luxury Manhattan hotel room, he forced her to perform oral sex on him.

He admitted to a "moral failing", but said it was consensual.

More on This Story

Related Stories

More US & Canada stories

RSS

Features & Analysis

Elsewhere on the BBC

  • FutureThe future is now

    Get the latest updates and biggest ideas from BBC Future’s World-Changing Ideas Summit

Programmes

  • St John's, CanadaThe Travel Show Watch

    It’s a ships’ symphony – listen to these freighters in Canada play music with their horns

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.