NFL and players reach '$765m concussion settlement'

October 2007 file photo of New England Patriots linebacker Junior Seau The family of linebacker Junior Seau, who committed suicide last year, joined the lawsuit

Related Stories

The National Football League and former players who say it hid the dangers of concussion have reached a $765m (£490m) settlement, a judge says.

The NFL would pay the sum to fund concussion-related compensation, medical exams and research.

Federal Judge Anita Brody in Philadelphia announced the deal after months of court-ordered mediation.

More than 4,500 former players had sued the league, alleging it concealed the risks of long-term brain damage.

Specific NFL payments

  • Baseline medical exams costs capped at $75m
  • A total of $675m for injury compensation, with individual awards caps at $4m for deaths from chronic traumatic encephalopathy, $3m for players suffering from dementia and $5m for players with Alzheimer's disease.
  • $10m towards medical research
  • 50% of payment for injuries in the next three years with the remaining payout over 17 years

The class action accused the NFL of hiding research that had shown the harmful effects of concussions, while glorifying and promoting violent play.

Many former players with neurological conditions believe their problems stem from knocks to the head.

Helmet-to-helmet impacts are common in American football as strong, heavy and fast-moving players collide on the field of play.

Studies have linked repeated concussions with chronic traumatic encephalopathy, a disease with symptoms including memory loss and mood swings.

As part of the settlement, the NFL will neither admit liability nor that the players' injuries were caused by football and will likely not have to disclose internal files that could show what it knew about concussion-linked brain problems and when.

"This agreement lets us help those who need it most and continue our work to make the game safer for current and future players," NFL Executive Vice-President Jeffrey Pash said in statement.

"We thought it was critical to get more help to players and families who deserve it rather than spend many years and millions of dollars on litigation."

The deal is still subject to Judge Brody's approval, as well as that of the retired players who brought the lawsuit.

The plaintiffs in the case include at least 10 members of the Pro Football Hall of Fame, the family of linebacker Junior Seau, who took his own life last year, and former Atlanta Falcons safety Ray Easterling, who filed the first lawsuit in 2011 but later killed himself.

The settlement comes immediately before the start of the new season for the league.

More on This Story

Related Stories

More US & Canada stories

RSS

Features & Analysis

Elsewhere on the BBC

  • ITChild's play

    It's never been easier for small businesses to get their message out to the world

Programmes

  • An aerial shot shows the Olympic Stadium, which is closed for repair works on its roof, in Rio de Janeiro March 28, 2014.Extra Time Watch

    Will Rio be ready in time to host the Olympics in 2016? The IOC president gives his verdict

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.