Harrison Ford breaks ankle on Star Wars film set at Pinewood studios
- 13 June 2014
- From the section Entertainment & Arts
Harrison Ford is being treated in hospital after being injured on the set of the latest Star Wars film.
The BBC understands that Ford, 71, broke his ankle in an incident involving a door at Pinewood Studios.
The Hollywood actor, who starred as Han Solo in the original three Star Wars films and is currently filming the new Episode VII sequel, was airlifted to John Radcliffe Hospital, in Oxford.
A spokesman for Lucasfilm said filming would continue while he recuperates.
"Harrison Ford sustained an ankle injury during filming today on the set of Star Wars: Episode VII. He was taken to a local hospital and is receiving care.
"Shooting will continue as planned while he recuperates," a statement from the production company Lucasfilm said on Thursday night.
A spokesman for Thames Valley Police confirmed officers had been called to the studio, near London, just after 17:00 BST to reports a 71-year-old man had been injured in an incident involving a garage door.
"The man was airlifted to John Radcliffe Hospital with injuries which are not believed to be life threatening. The Health and Safety Executive is investigating," the force said.
A spokeswoman for South Central Ambulance Service said they were called to an incident involving "a door that had fallen."
Ford is set to be joined in the film by fellow original Star Wars series cast mates Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher and Peter Mayhew.
Academy Award-winning actress Lupita Nyong'o, John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac, Andy Serkis, Domhnall Gleeson, and Max von Sydow are also starring.
Star Wars: Episode VII will be the first in a new trilogy of films.
Chancellor George Osborne earlier said the decision to shoot Episode VII in the UK was "testament to the incredible talent in Britain" and meant "more jobs and more investment".