Tim Howard: 10 tweets about new US hero
The American World Cup party is over, after a dramatic and gallant defeat to Belgium. But a new US hero was born.
Everton and USA goalkeeper Tim Howard needs no introduction to many football fans but his 15 saves on Tuesday, the most since World Cup records began, has suddenly made him a national hero.
American fans (and others) were quick to laud Howard's one-man defensive display.
Here's a selection of tweeted expressions of admiration.
1. @_camwba tweets: "Someone changed the US Secretary of Defence on Wikipedia to Tim Howard. Fantastic. "
2. Belgium team captain @VincentKompany tweets after the match: "Two words.. TIM HOWARD #Respect #BelUSA"
3. @BryanDFischer tweets: "So are we going to build Tim Howard's statue through Kickstarter or do we have a booster lined up and ready to go?"
4. @EdgeOfSports tweets: "Other than walk on water, I'm not sure what else Tim Howard can do."
5. @VP [Vice-President Joe Biden] tweets: "Proud that our guys, just like our country, never gave up. Tim Howard - most valuable player in the World Cup. #USMNT"
6. ABC's morning programme @GMA tweets a photo and adds: #Howard2016 #Howard2020 #Howard2024 #Howard2028 #Howard2032
7. @PatrickOsgood tweets: "Difference between Tim Howard and Jesus - Jesus had 11 guys he could trust"
8. @MichaelLHayes tweets: "I'll work every Fourth of July if it means I get July 1 off (now known as National Tim Howard Day)."
Who is Tim Howard?
- born in New Jersey 35 years ago
- began career playing for the New York/New Jersey Metrostars
- moved to Man Utd in 2003, and three years later to Everton
- has spoken about the muscle twitches he suffers due to Tourette's Syndrome, but says it never affects his performance
- Daily Mail said his Belgium performance was "the best from an American goalkeeper since Sylvester Stallone's exploits in the 1981 film Escape to Victory"
9. @Kati_Ver tweets: "OH [overheard] in the metro: "I wish Tim Howard could advance by himself."
10. @ElaheIzadi tweets: "TIM HOWARD SOLVES OUR NATIONAL DEBT CRISIS"