US & Canada

Trump's Mar-a-Lago kitchen cited for food safety violations

The two leaders dined at Mar-a-Lago days after inspectors found poor sanitation at the club's restaurant Image copyright Getty Images
Image caption The two leaders dined at Mar-a-Lago days after inspectors found poor sanitation at the club's restaurant

Health and safety inspectors have found more than a dozen violations in the kitchen of the Florida resort, Mar-a-Lago, owned by President Donald Trump.

The 13 issues included broken fridges which meant that meat and fish were kept at temperatures deemed unsafe.

Tap water was not warm enough to properly sanitise employees' hands, and a shelf in a walk-in freezer was covered in rust.

The initiation fee at the private club is $200,000 (£159,000).

The 13 violations were discovered days before the Japanese Prime Minister's visit to Mar-a-Lago.

The price of Trump's 'Winter White House'

Inside Donald Trump's Palm Beach retreat

Media playback is unsupported on your device
Media captionWhat Trump's neighbours in Palm Beach, Florida, think of his visits

Two fridges were not in working order, and had to be emptied and repaired.

According to the report filed after a 26 January visit by state inspectors, fish that was "raw or undercooked has not undergone proper parasite destruction".

In addition to three "high priority violations" (which can cause illness), 10 other, lesser violations were found.

Image copyright Getty Images
Image caption The price in admission rose by $100,000 after he was elected

According to the Miami Herald, Mr Trump was known in the past to have personally checked the Mar-a-Lago kitchens himself, as well as conducting staff inspections.

The newspaper reports that inspectors last year found 11 violations, and two were discovered in 2015.

Related Topics

More on this story