In pictures: Stars attend MTV Video Music Awards 2013
Page last updated at 07:41 GMT, Tuesday, 27 August 2013 08:41 UK
- Miley Cyrus stripped down to a nude-coloured latex bikini and wore a giant foam finger to dance with R&B singer Robin Thicke as he sang Blurred Lines at the MTV VMAs. She also performed surrounded by giant bears as she sang her number one hit single We Can't Stop.
- Lady Gaga wore a variety of outfits during the ceremony, including a shell bikini. She performed her latest single, Applause, for the first time at the event in New York.
- Justin Timberlake and his team picked up four awards on the night, including best editing for Mirrors and best direction for the video Suit and Tie. He also received the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard award, which is essentially a lifetime achievement award for his contribution to MTV culture.
- Rihanna and Harry Styles pose together in the audience at the Video Music Awards. One Direction also won an award on the night for song of the summer, for their latest single, Best Song Ever.
- Taylor Swift appeared on stage with Daft Punk, Pharrell Williams and Nile Rodgers. She won the award for best female video for I Knew You Were Trouble. Collecting her prize, the country singer said: "I want to thank the person who inspired this song, who knows exactly who he is, because now I've got one of these." The MTV cameras then focused on her ex-boyfriend Harry Styles of One Direction fame.
- Katy Perry closed Sunday night's show with a performance of her new single Roar. She turned the stage into a boxing ring.
- Will Smith attended the awards with his children Jaden and Willow. He later congratulated Justin Timberlake, who won four awards on the night, an achievement matched only by Macklemore & Ryan Lewis.
- One Direction presented Selena Gomez with her award for best pop video for Come and Get It.
- Austin Mahone was give the award for artist to watch by Emeli Sande and Adam Lambert.