In pictures: MTV European Music Awards 2013 ceremony
Page last updated at 09:01 GMT, Monday, 11 November 2013
- Katy Perry picked up the award for best female at the MTV EMAs in Amsterdam, beating Taylor Swift, Miley Cyrus, Lady Gaga and Selena Gomez to the prize. "This is so cool. I was sitting backstage drinking champagne, looking at all those people, thinking, 'I'm not going to win'. I love what I do and I'm glad you see that," she said.
- Kings Of Leon, who were nominated for the best rock award, were upstaged on the red carpet by star of Anchorman, Ron Burgundy (played by Will Ferrell). The newsreader presented Eminem with the global icon award.
- Miley Cyrus stole the show, smoking what appeared to be a cannabis joint on stage during while accepting her award for best video for Wrecking Ball. The 20-year-old performed twice during the ceremony, opening the show with We Can't Stop and later singing Wrecking Ball.
- Bruno Mars also performed at the ceremony in Amsterdam. The Hawaiian singer played his most recent single Gorilla, having picked up the best song prize for Locked Out of Heaven.
- Robin Thicke, who was up for four awards, played his hit single Blurred Lines. He was joined on stage by Australian rapper Iggy Azalea. Last week, University College London's student union (UCLU) became the latest institution to ban the track. Edinburgh, Leeds, Kingston, Derby and West Scotland Universities have also stopped playing the song.
- 30 Seconds To Mars picked up the award for best alternative act. The American band, fronted by Jared Leto (right), beat the likes of Arctic Monkeys and Fall Out Boy to pick up the prize.
- Ellie Goulding was nominated for best UK and Ireland act, which was won by One Direction. The singer, who has just released this year's official Children In Need single, How Long Will I Love You, recently announced UK tour dates for early 2014.
- Norwegian TV presenters Bard and Vegard Ylvisaker, better known as Ylvis, also attended the ceremony. The duo behind online video The Fox say they never intended for their song to go viral. In September they told Newsbeat: "Immediately when we put it up, the first comments on YouTube said, 'This is the new Gangnam (Style), this is the new viral.' It was like people sensed it right away and we didn't."
- The Killers also performed at this year's show. The band were nominated for the best rock act but lost out to fellow Americans Green Day. The band's greatest hits album, Direct Hits, was released on 11 November.
- Icona Pop, who recently performed at Radio 1's teen Awards, took to the stage at Amsterdam's Ziggo Dome. The Swedish duo were also nominated for the best new act alongside Bastille, Imagine Dragons and Rudimental. The award was won by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis.
- Former X Factor group Jedward were also at the ceremony. Next year's MTV EMAs will take place in Glasgow, where they will be held at the brand new SSE Hydro venue.