Knife crime has increased by nine percent across England and Wales. In London it's risen by sixteen per cent over the last two years. Several years ago it was predominantly a gang problem. Now the police think seventy-five per cent of those who carry have no associations with gangs – they're just doing it because everyone else is.
Highly recognisable – but while Chester Zoo's giraffes are loved by the visitors, in their natural African habitat, the animals are suffering what has been called a devastating decline. Illegal hunting, expanding agriculture and civil unrest have all been cited as factors pushing the long-necked mammals towards extinction.
Twenty-five-year-old Conchi Rios is one of only four female matadors in the world of Spanish bullfighting. She said it took a few years to get a job as a bullfighter in Spain, but that it was worth fighting to do the job she loves. Bullfighting is controversial in Spain, but Conchi says those who are against it don't necessarily understand it.
Transcrição para o português:
Crimes com facas aumentaram 9% na Inglaterra e País de Gales. Em Londres, o aumento foi de 16% nos últimos dois anos. Há vários anos era um problema ligado predominantemente a gangues. Agora a polícia acredita que 75% dos que portam facas não têm associação com gangues – apenas o fazem porque todos estão fazendo.
Altamente reconhecíveis – mas enquanto as girafas do zoo de Chester são queridas pelo público, em seu habitat natural na África os animais estão sofrendo o que foi chamado de declínio devastador. Caça ilegal, expansão agrícola e conflitos civis foram citados como fatores forçando os mamíferos pescoçudos rumo à extinção.
Conchi Ríos, de 25 anos, é uma das apenas quatro toureiras no universo das touradas na Espanha. Ela disse que levou alguns anos para conseguir emprego como toureira na Espanha, mas que valeu a pena lutar pelo emprego que ama. As corridas de touros são polêmicas na Espanha, mas Conchi diz que os que são contra a atividade não necessariamente a entendem.
Words and phrases and definitions:
predominantly mainly; mostly
devastating very harmful; damaging
cited mentioned as evidence or proof
controversial something people disagree about
Watch the video online: http://bbc.in/2j8vKRY Lingohack ©British Broadcasting Corporation 2017 bbclearningenglish.com Page 2 of 2
Use one of the words or phrases from Lingohack to complete each of these sentences. Note that you may have to change the form of a word or phrase to complete the sentence correctly.
predominately / devastating / cited / controversial
1. A __________ plan to demolish a Reading nightclub and replace it with luxury flats has been turned down.
2. Thousands of people have been made homeless after __________ floods caused by the heaviest rainfall the city has seen in a century.
3. The pop star __________ personal reasons for deciding to cancel his world tour. Naturally, his fans are very upset.
4. The rise in global sea levels since the 1970s has been __________ driven by greenhouse gas emissions and not natural climate variability, a study suggests.
1. A controversial plan to demolish a Reading nightclub and replace it with luxury flats has been turned down.
2. Thousands of people have been made homeless after devastating floods caused by the heaviest rainfall the city has seen in a century.
3. The pop star cited personal reasons for deciding to cancel his world tour. Naturally, his fans are very upset.
4. The rise in global sea levels since the 1970s has been predominantly driven by greenhouse gas emissions and not natural climate variability, a study suggests.