Reports from the United States say the Justice Department has launched a criminal probe into Volkswagen's rigging of its emission tests. Volkswagen has admitted that 11m of its diesel vehicles contained software to evade emissions tests.
Central European states have reacted angrily to plans to use compulsory quotas to relocate 120,000 refugees across the continent. The idea was voted through despite objections from several countries including Hungary and the Czech Republic.
The renowned pop artist Andy Warhol predicted that one day everyone would be famous for 15 minutes but it would be Pele whose fame would last for 15 centuries. Immortalised in room after room of artwork, it's easy to believe that he may always be the gold standard against which all footballers are judged.
Transcrição em português
Notícias vindas dos Estados Unidos relatam que o Departamento de Justiça lançou uma investigação sobre fraude cometida pela Volkswagen com testes de emissão. A empresa admitiu que 11 milhões de carros tinham sido equipados com software para 'enganar' testes de emissão.
Países da Europa Central reagiram com indignação a planos de impor cotas compulsórias para realocar 120 mil refugiados pelo continente. A ideia foi aprovada apesar das fortes objeções de vários países, entre eles Hungria e República Tcheca.
O renomado artista pop Andy Warhol previu um dia que todo mundo seria famoso por 15 minutos mas que Pelé seria famoso por 15 séculos. Imortalizado em várias salas com obras de arte, é fácil de acreditar que ele sempre será aquele com quem todos os jogadores de futebol serão comparados.
Words, phrases and definitions
probe (here) attempt to discover the real facts about a problem or issue
rigging acting in a dishonest way to achieve a certain result
compulsory quotas fixed quantities required by law (here, the number of refugees that each country is required to accept)
immortalised made famous for a very long time
Use one of the words or phrases from Lingohack to complete each of these sentences. Note that you may have to change the form of a word or phrase to complete the sentence correctly.
probe / rigging / compulsory quotas / immortalised
1. The views of Yosemite National Park were _______ through the work of photographer, Ansel Adams.
2. The police launched a full-scale _______ into the claims that the businessman had stolen all the money.
3. The election had to be held again after it was found the result was _______.
4. The Paris radio station had to play a _______ of music sung in the French language.
1. The views of Yosemite National Park were immortalised through the work of photographer, Ansel Adams.
2. The police launched a full-scale probe into the claims that the businessman had stolen all the money.
3. The election had to be held again after it was found the result was rigged.
4. The Paris radio station had to play a compulsory quota of music sung in the French language.