"По новостям": More church attacks in Malaysia
В разделе Learning English мы публикуем учебные материалы, интерактивные проекты, истории о культуре и традициях англоязычных стран.
В рубрике "По новостям" представлены радиорепортажи корреспондентов Би-би-си о заметных мировых событиях.
Another Christian church has been attacked in Malaysia, the ninth such incident since Friday. Nobody has been hurt, but the issue has exposed deep religious and ethnic problems in Malaysia.
The latest attack, on an Evangelical Christian church, caused limited physical damage - just a burned door and a charred entranceway. But the political implications may be more serious.
Tensions have flared after Malaysia's High Court ruled that a Roman Catholic newspaper, the Herald, was permitted to use the word 'Allah' to describe God in its Malay language editions. Muslim groups argue that Christians using a word so closely associated with Islam could be a ploy to win converts.
Christians make up around 9% of the population in the majority Muslim state. Most non-Muslims are ethnically Indian or Chinese. The row over the use of the word 'Allah' has exposed deep resentments over the treatment of minorities and freedom of religion in Malaysia.
A government minister told foreign diplomats on Monday the church attacks were the work of extremists. 'These were not just attacks on houses of worship' he said, 'these were attacks on the values and freedoms all Malaysians share.' Under the slogan 'One Malaysia', the government has made racial harmony a central policy. Its commitment to that policy is now being severely tested.
- charred - обугленный
- political implications - политические последствия
- tensions have flared - страсти накалились
- was permitted - было разрешено
- closely associated with - тесно связанное с
- a ploy to win converts - планом убедить людей поменять религиозные убеждения
- in the majority Muslim state - в стране, населенной преимущественно мусульманами
- has exposed deep resentments - выявил или обнажил давние обиды, недовольство или возмущение
- racial harmony - расовую гармонию