"По новостям": Zimbabwean diamonds "still bloody"
В разделе Learning English мы публикуем учебные материалы, интерактивные проекты, истории о культуре и традициях англоязычных стран.
В рубрике "По новостям" представлены радиорепортажи корреспондентов Би-би-си о серьезных и курьезных мировых событиях.
Global Witness, the human rights watchdog, has warned that the Kimberley Process, the scheme that is meant to certify diamonds, could be funding political violence in Zimbabwe.
The Marange diamond fields are among the richest in the world. They've been widely linked to human rights abuses and have reportedly been a source of revenue to win support for President Robert Mugabe's Zanu PF party. But despite this the Kimberly Process has stopped short of expelling Zimbabwe from its certification scheme.
Now a report by Global Witness claims that by turning a blind eye to alleged abuses, the Kimberley Process has effectively condoned a system that has swapped military control of the diamond fields to the establishment of joint venture companies. Companies which allegedly break Zimbabwean law and which reinforce a system of patronage which Global Witness claims "facilitates state looting".
An investigation into the joint venture companies revealed a lack of transparency and also the presence of dubious individuals who've been arrested in the past for diamond smuggling.
The report concludes that given Zimbabwe's fragile coalition government, and history of political violence, the Zimbabwean authorities are simply "exchanging one form of criminality for another".
- has stopped short of expelling - не решился исключить
- by turning a blind eye to - игнорируя
- has effectively condoned - зд. по сути потворствует
- joint venture companies - совместных предприятий
- allegedly - якобы
- reinforce - укрепляют
- facilitates state looting - cодействует хищениям, происходящим при участии государства
- a lack of transparency - недостаточную прозрачность (их деятельности)
- smuggling - контрабанду
- fragile coalition government - слабое коалиционное правительство