BBC Sport app includes widget and expanded push alert offering
Whether it's the Women's World Cup, the Ashes, the FA Cup final or your football team or cricket county, the BBC Sport app is the one place where you can get alerts for all the sport that matters to you.
Football fans can get alerts letting them know the team line-ups, when goals go in and half-time and full-time scores. This service is now available for every nation competing in the 2015 Women's World Cup.
If you are out and about and unable to watch the FA Cup final, you can use alerts to know the second a goal goes in.
And for both tournaments, UK users can see all the goals and key action both live in the app and as post-match highlights.
Cricket fans can also set alerts for both their country and domestic team - for the first time in the BBC Sport app you can get push alerts to know when a key wicket has fallen in the Ashes. Wherever you are, you will get the key score updates as they happen.
The BBC Sport App now offers a wide range of alerts covering all major UK Football Leagues, international and domestic cricket plus formula 1. We will continue to expand our range of alerts for these sports and also extend them to further sports in the near future.
In a further enhancement, the Sport app now also includes a homescreen widget - this means you can get all the top stories and live events right on your phone's homescreen without even having to go into a sport app or website.
What are alerts?
Alerts are notifications which pop up on to your phone's homescreen with key information. For example, if you set alerts for the England Women's team for the World Cup, you can receive an alert every time a goal is scored in one of their matches, as well as alerts with the half-time and full-time score.
Similarly, cricket fans might like to add England cricket alerts - these will provide notifications every time a wicket falls (with the batsman's score and team score), as well as alerts for end of innings scores and results.
The level of detail can be set for each type of alert, for example you might not want to know every time a wicket falls, you might just want the result. Similarly you might want formula 1 alerts for qualifying but not the race itself fi you're planning to watch the highlights later.
How do I add them?
To add the alerts, you might need to install the latest update of the app. Once installed, follow these steps.
- Visit the MyAlerts section of the app from within the menu
- Select the sport - cricket, football or Formula 1
- If you want cricket alerts, select the county or nation you want updates from. For football, you can select any English and Scottish league sides, along with international sides including all the nations in the Women's World Cup. To set alerts for the Formula 1 season, simply set the sessions you want to receive updates for. You can add alerts for as many teams and sessions as you want.
- Wait for the alerts to arrive - hopefully they're good news!
You can of course easily turn alerts off - if, for example, you do not want to know the results of a match you're planning to watch highlights of on Match of the Day.
How to add the BBC Sport top stories widget
1. Install the latest version of the BBC Sport app
2. Swipe down from the top of the device. Select the "Today" tab
3. Click "Edit" at the bottom of the page
4. Add "BBC Sport Headlines"
5. Click "Done"
You will then see the top 3 stories from BBC Sport. When you swipe down to see the widget - the list of stories will automatically update.
To add the widget to the homescreen: find an available space on the screen and then press to bring up a list of widgets. Choose from BBC Sport Headlines (4x1) or BBC Sport Headlines (2x2), then choose which category to follow from top stories, football, cricket, formula 1 or four other major sports.
You can add multiple widgets - you can have a widget for each sport that you are interested in.
Key features of the app include:
- Top stories widget: The BBC Sport widget allows you to view the top BBC Sport headlines, right on your iOS or Android homescreen. On Android, you can customise the widget to see headlines for your favourite sports.
- Push alerts for domestic and international football teams including the Women's World Cup - get line-ups, goals, full-time and more
- Push alerts for Formula 1 - get results for every session in a race weekend
- Push alerts for county and international cricket sides
- Watch live and on-demand video - and cast it to TV through Chromecast
- Home screen displaying the top stories across the world of sport
- Follow all the football live scores, results and news
- Customise the app to select your favourite sports and football teams
- Watch major sporting events live or on catch up with on-demand highlights and interviews
- Listen to BBC Radio 5 live and sports extra
- Sections for Football, Formula 1, Cricket, Rugby Union, Rugby League, Tennis, Golf and all the other main sports
- Indexes for UK nations, plus major events
- Daily live text commentaries
- Dedicated pages for every English and Scottish football league club, plus pages for cricket counties, rugby teams and more
- Share stories and results by email and on social networks