BBC Sport app includes widget and expanded push alert offering
The BBC Sport app has been enhanced so that it can now show top stories right on your phone or tablet's home screen without needing to enter the app.
Users can add this feature, known as a widget, on either iOS or Android. For Apple devices it will pull through the day's top stories, while the Android option is customisable allowing users to choose top stories, and any combination of top stories from individual major sports.
For example you could set it to just pull through the biggest football stories.
The BBC Sport app also allows users to customise by adding alerts for football, cricket and formula 1.
How to add the BBC Sport top stories widget
1. Install the latest version of the BBC Sport app
2. Swipe down from the top of the device. Select the "Today" tab
3. Click "Edit" at the bottom of the page
4. Add "BBC Sport Headlines"
5. Click "Done"
You will then see the top 3 stories from BBC Sport. When you swipe down to see the widget - the list of stories will automatically update.
To add the widget to the homescreen: find an available space on the screen and then press to bring up a list of widgets. Choose from BBC Sport Headlines (4x1) or BBC Sport Headlines (2x2), then choose which category to follow from top stories, football, cricket, formula 1 or four other major sports.
You can add multiple widgets - you can have a widget for each sport that you are interested in.
With the BBC Sport app you can set push alerts for any English or Scottish Football League team, any county cricket side and also the home nations for their international matches in either sport. You can also receive alerts for Formula 1 and choose whether you want these just for races or also the practice and qualifying sessions.
The alerts are small pop ups which tell you the latest development, for example if you receive Everton alerts a pop-up might tell you they are now leading Arsenal 1-0, or if you have added Kent cricket an alert might let you know that a key wicket has fallen.
On opening the alert you will go straight to the right section to get the latest results and news.
How to add alerts:
To add the alerts, you might need to install the latest update of the app. Once installed, follow these steps.
- Visit the MyAlerts section of the app from within the menu
- Select the sport - cricket, football or Formula 1
- If you want cricket alerts, select the county or nation you want updates from. For football, you can select any English and Scottish league sides, along with international sides. To set alerts for the Formula 1 season, simply set the sessions you want to receive updates for. You can add alerts for as many teams and sessions as you want.
- Wait for the alerts to arrive - hopefully they're good news!
You can of course easily turn alerts off - if, for example, you do not want to know the results of a match you're planning to watch highlights of on Match of the Day.
The app also now fully supports Chromecast , so you can cast any live action of highlights straight to the biggest screen in the house. Been watching while out and about? Simply cast the action to the TV as you get in.
Key features of the app include:
- Top stories widget: The BBC Sport widget allows you to view the top BBC Sport headlines, right on your iOS or Android homescreen. On Android, you can customise the widget to see headlines for your favourite sports.
- Push alerts for domestic and international football teams - get line-ups, goals, full-time and more
- Push alerts for Formula 1 - get results for every session in a race weekend
- Push alerts for County and international cricket sides
- Watch live and on-demand video - and cast it to TV through Chromecast
- Home screen displaying the top stories across the world of sport
- Follow all the football live scores, results and news - plus access your club's fixtures for the 2014/15 season
- Customise the app to select your favourite sports and football teams
- Watch major sporting events live or on catch up with on-demand highlights and interviews
- Listen to BBC Radio 5 live and sports extra
- Sections for Football, Formula 1, Cricket, Rugby Union, Rugby League, Tennis, Golf and all the other main sports
- Indexes for UK nations, plus major events
- Daily live text commentaries
- Dedicated pages for every English and Scottish football league club, plus pages for cricket counties, rugby teams and more
- Share stories and results by email and on social networks