Man City 3 - 2 QPR
Manchester City scored twice in stoppage time to be crowned champions for the first time in 44 years as they beat Queen's Park Rangers to win the Premier League on goal difference from Manchester United.
In scenes of near bedlam, City looked to be suffering a dramatic collapse as QPR - safe after Stoke City drew with Bolton - held on to an unlikely advantage with United leading at Sunderland.
How a dramatic final day unfolded in the title race
20 mins: Wayne Rooney sends Man Utd two points clear at the top by giving his side a 1-0 lead at Sunderland.
39 mins: Silence turns to bedlam at Etihad Stadium as Pablo Zabaleta puts Man City ahead against QPR back on top on goal difference.
48 mins: Advantage United. Djibril Cisse stuns City with an equaliser and it is all change at the top again. Sir Alex Ferguson's side are two points clear with 42 minutes of normal time to go in the season.
66 mins: City are capitulating. After Joey Barton is sent off for QPR, Jamie Mackie puts the Londoners ahead against all the odds. United, now three points clear with 24 minutes of normal time remaining, dare to dream.
90 + 2 mins: Lifeline for City. Edin Dzeko levels for City but United are still leading and remain two points clear with just moments left.
90 + 5 mins: Man Utd win at Sunderland but City are still playing. And City despair turns to delirium as Sergio Aguero scores a last-gasp winner. It is utter heartbreak for Man Utd's fans at the Stadium of Light, though, as news filters through of the late drama. Game over. City win title.
With some City fans already leaving the stadium in tears, Edin Dzeko equalised in the second of five minutes of stoppage time before Sergio Aguero scored the goal that won the title.
City's players and supporters travelled from one end of the emotional scale to the other in those vital seconds, providing a truly remarkable piece of football theatre and the most dramatic conclusion to a season in Premier League history.
Roberto Mancini's side needed victory to clinch the prize that has eluded them since 1968 and took the lead through Pablo Zabaleta shortly before the interval.
Djibril Cisse levelled for QPR soon after the restart before the visitors lost Joey Barton when he was shown a red card against his former club following a clash with Carlos Tevez.
QPR shrugged off their numerical disadvantage to reduce the Etihad to stunned silence when Jamie Mackie gave them the lead with a far-post header in the 66th minute.
City set up permanent camp in QPR territory but appeared condemned to their worst nightmare of losing the title to arch rivals United in the most painful circumstances as keeper Paddy Kenny rode his luck to produce a string of saves to ensure they held firm in the face of an onslaught.
Then, as the clock started to tick into those added minutes and United were in sight of a 20th title, City and their supporters were transported from the depths of despondency to the highest high in the space of two minutes.
Dzeko rose to head the equaliser before Argentine Aguero showed great clarity of thought and composure amid the mayhem to drive into the area and beat Kenny with a powerful low finish.
The Etihad was a sky-blue explosion of joy and relief in an outpouring of 44 years of frustration as Aguero wheeled his shirt above his head in celebration and Mancini, who cut an increasingly frantic figure as time ran out, raced on to the pitch - accompanied by backroom staff including Brian Kidd and David Platt - in ecstasy.
As Mike Dean's final whistle blew, the reality dawned on City as they capped a run of form that has seen them overturn United's eight-point advantage in the space of five weeks.
The closest of finishes
- Man City are the first team to win the league title on goal difference since Arsenal pipped Liverpool in 1989.
- With 89 points, Man Utd have set a new record for most points in a 38-game Premier League season without winning the title
And for supporters who have suffered watching the successes of neighbours United under Sir Alex Ferguson, this was the perfect moment of redemption.
The atmosphere was a mixture of the tense and triumphal as the teams came out to a torrent of golden ticker tape raining down from the stands.
QPR's intentions soon became clear as City ran into massed ranks of resistance and the early celebratory mood became tense as Mancini's side struggled to fashion clear-cut chances.
The breakthrough finally came six minutes before half-time. Yaya Toure had been struggling for some time with a hamstring injury, but he was able to play in Zabaleta and his shot squirmed through the hands of QPR keeper Kenny and in off the far post.
QPR were level shortly after the restart when Cisse took advantage of Joleon Lescott's poor header to beat Hart - but they were then plunged even further into a rearguard action when Barton was sent off.
He will claim he was provoked by Tevez, but he can have no complaints as he raised his arm to the Argentine and then kicked his fellow countryman Aguero after he received the red card.
QPR lifted the siege in stunning fashion when Mackie stole in at the far post to head them in front and all City's efforts were thwarted as Kenny saved well from David Silva, Aguero and Dzeko among others.
It looked like the day that had started for City with such anticipation and expectation was going to end in despair - then came the finale and the goals from Dzeko and Aguero that will live forever in the memories of every City fan who witnessed them.
Live text and stats
Sunday, 13 May 2012
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
|(HT 1-0)Man City are Champions|
- 25 Hart
- 04 Kompany
- 05 Zabaleta
- 06 Lescott
- 22 Clichy
- 18 Barry (Dzeko 69)
- 19 Nasri
- 21 Silva
- 42 Y Toure (De Jong 44)
- 16 Aguero yellow card
- 32 Tevez (Balotelli 75)
- 01 Kenny
- 03 Hill
- 34 Taiwo
- 35 Ferdinand
- 42 Onuoha
- 04 Derry
- 17 Barton red card
- 32 Wright-Phillips
- 12 Mackie
- 23 Cisse (Traore 59)
- 52 Zamora (Bothroyd 76 yellow card)
- Man City 62%
- QPR 38%
Attempts on target
- Man City 24
- QPR 3
Attempts off target
- Man City 11
- QPR 0
- Man City 19
- QPR 0
- Man City 4
- QPR 6
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+7:47 The referee blows for the end of the match.
- 90:00+4:55 Booking Booking for Sergio Aguero.
- 90:00+3:20 Assist on the goal came from Mario Balotelli.
- 90:00+3:20 GOAL - Sergio Aguero:Man City 3 - 2 QPR A goal is scored by Sergio Aguero from deep inside the penalty area to the bottom right corner of the goal. Man City 3-2 QPR.
- 90:00+1:15 Assist on the goal came from David Silva.
- 90:00+1:15 GOAL - Edin Dzeko:Man City 2 - 2 QPR Edin Dzeko grabs a headed goal from deep inside the penalty area. Man City 2-2 QPR.
- 90:00+1:00 Corner taken by David Silva from the right by-line,
- 90:00+0:33 Corner taken right-footed by Samir Nasri from the left by-line, save by Patrick Kenny.
- 89:56 Corner taken by David Silva, Mario Balotelli takes a shot. Save by Patrick Kenny.
- 89:30 Inswinging corner taken by Samir Nasri from the left by-line, Taye Taiwo makes a clearance.
- 89:08 Mario Balotelli takes a shot. Short corner taken by David Silva.
- 86:32 Corner taken by David Silva.
- 84:06 Edin Dzeko takes a shot. Save made by Patrick Kenny.
- 83:50 Mario Balotelli takes a shot.
- 83:06 Foul by Shaun Wright-Phillips on Gael Clichy, free kick awarded. Direct effort from the free kick comes in from Mario Balotelli, blocked by Shaun Wright-Phillips.
- 82:50 Corner taken left-footed by David Silva, clearance made by Taye Taiwo.
- 82:31 Edin Dzeko produces a right-footed shot from deep inside the six-yard box which goes wide of the right-hand post.
- 79:20 Mario Balotelli takes a shot. Patrick Kenny gets a block in.
- 77:49 Edin Dzeko takes a shot. Patrick Kenny makes a save.
- 77:31 Corner taken left-footed by David Silva from the left by-line, Armand Traore manages to make a clearance.
- 77:00 Free kick crossed left-footed by David Silva, Clint Hill makes a clearance.
- 77:00 Booking Jay Bothroyd is cautioned by the ref for unsporting behaviour.
- 76:40 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Mario Balotelli by Jay Bothroyd.
- 74:50 Substitution Bobby Zamora leaves the field to be replaced by Jay Bothroyd.
- 74:50 Substitution Mario Balotelli joins the action as a substitute, replacing Carlos Tevez.
- 74:50 Samir Nasri produces a right-footed shot from just outside the box that misses to the right of the target.
- 73:06 Carlos Tevez has an effort at goal from just inside the box that misses to the right of the target.
- 72:02 Pablo Zabaleta takes a shot. Nedum Onuoha gets a block in.
- 71:58 Inswinging corner taken by David Silva.
- 71:42 Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Carlos Tevez from the left by-line, save by Patrick Kenny.
- 71:10 Inswinging corner taken by David Silva from the right by-line, Carlos Tevez takes a shot. Save made by Patrick Kenny.
- 69:05 Samir Nasri takes a shot. Blocked by Anton Ferdinand. Corner taken by Samir Nasri, clearance by Anton Ferdinand.
- 68:21 Samir Nasri takes a shot. Blocked by Anton Ferdinand.
- 68:17 Substitution Gareth Barry goes off and Edin Dzeko comes on.
- 67:12 David Silva has an effort at goal from just outside the area which goes wide of the left-hand post.
- 66:54 Nigel De Jong takes a shot. Anton Ferdinand gets a block in.
- 65:08 Armand Traore provided the assist for the goal.
- 65:08 GOAL - Jamie Mackie:Man City 1 - 2 QPR Jamie Mackie finds the back of the net with a headed goal from inside the six-yard box. Man City 1-2 QPR.
- 60:18 The assistant referee signals for offside against Sergio Aguero. Patrick Kenny restarts play with the free kick.
- 59:42 Carlos Tevez takes a shot. Save by Patrick Kenny. Sergio Aguero takes a shot. Save by Patrick Kenny.
- 58:56 Corner taken left-footed by David Silva. Inswinging corner taken from the left by-line by Carlos Tevez, clearance made by Bobby Zamora. Short corner taken by Carlos Tevez.
- 58:27 Substitution Armand Traore is brought on as a substitute for Djibril Cisse.
- 58:17 Carlos Tevez takes a shot.
- 57:45 Samir Nasri takes a shot. Save by Patrick Kenny.
- 54:42 Direct effort from the free kick comes in from Carlos Tevez.
- 54:42 Sent off Joey Barton is sent off by the referee.
- 53:47 Foul by Joey Barton on Carlos Tevez, free kick awarded.
- 51:10 Nigel De Jong takes a shot.
- 50:29 Corner taken left-footed by David Silva, Sergio Aguero produces a right-footed shot from close range which goes wide of the right-hand post.
- 49:32 Carlos Tevez takes a shot. Patrick Kenny makes a save.
- 47:33 Shaun Wright-Phillips provided the assist for the goal.
- 47:33 GOAL - Djibril Cisse:Man City 1 - 1 QPR Goal scored by Djibril Cisse from just outside the penalty box to the bottom right corner of the goal. Man City 1-1 QPR.
- 46:26 Free kick awarded for a foul by Joey Barton on Nigel De Jong. Shot comes in from Samir Nasri from the free kick.
- Correction - 45:33 Sergio Aguero takes a shot. Save by Patrick Kenny. Corner taken by Samir Nasri from the left by-line played to the near post, Bobby Zamora makes a clearance.
- 45:33 Sergio Aguero takes a shot. Save by Patrick Kenny. Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Samir Nasri played to the near post, clearance made by Bobby Zamora.
- 45:01 The referee gets the second half underway.
- Half Time
- 45:00+3:05 The half-time whistle blows.
- Correction - 43:19 Substitution Gnegneri Toure Yaya goes off and Nigel De Jong comes on.
- 43:19 Substitution (Man City) makes a substitution, with Nigel De Jong coming on for Gnegneri Toure Yaya.
- 43:19 Sergio Aguero takes a shot. Save by Patrick Kenny.
- 38:39 Gnegneri Toure Yaya provided the assist for the goal.
- 38:39 GOAL - Pablo Zabaleta:Man City 1 - 0 QPR A goal is scored by Pablo Zabaleta from inside the box to the top left corner of the goal. Man City 1-0 QPR.
- 38:06 Foul by Bobby Zamora on David Silva, free kick awarded. Free kick taken by Vincent Kompany.
- 32:43 David Silva has shot on goal from just outside the area which goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 24:47 Shaun Wright-Phillips is penalised for a handball. David Silva has an effort direct from the free kick.
- 23:46 Djibril Cisse takes a shot. Save by Joe Hart.
- 22:36 Gareth Barry gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Djibril Cisse. Free kick taken by Taye Taiwo.
- 21:58 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Shaun Wright-Phillips by Gareth Barry. Patrick Kenny restarts play with the free kick.
- 18:21 Foul by Gareth Barry on Joey Barton, free kick awarded. Patrick Kenny takes the free kick.
- 16:23 The official flags Jamie Mackie offside. Joe Hart restarts play with the free kick.
- 15:26 David Silva takes a shot. Save made by Patrick Kenny.
- 10:45 Samir Nasri produces a left-footed shot from just outside the box that goes wide right of the goal.
- 8:55 Jamie Mackie gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Gnegneri Toure Yaya. Indirect free kick taken by Gareth Barry.
- 6:27 Samir Nasri takes a short corner.
- 5:11 Shot from just outside the area by Gnegneri Toure Yaya misses to the right of the target.
- 3:43 Pablo Zabaleta gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Shaun Wright-Phillips. Indirect free kick taken by Patrick Kenny.
- 2:48 Corner taken by David Silva, Bobby Zamora makes a clearance.
- 0:00 The game gets underway.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.