Carlisle 1 - 0 Accrington Stanley
A first-half Matty Robson strike helped Carlisle defeat Accrington Stanley in the Capital One Cup first round.
The Cumbrians dictated the opening stages, and were denied an early goal when Stanley keeper Ian Dunbavin kept out James Berrett's effort.
But the hosts scored when Berrett and Lee Miller combined to find Robson, who blasted in from inside the box.
Stanley debutant Aidan Chippendale was then twice denied by Adam Collin's fingertips as the hosts hung on to win.
VIEWS FROM THE DRESSING ROOM
Carlisle United manager Greg Abbott told BBC Radio Cumbria:
"There is a lot of things to be pleased about with the game today and there is an awful lot there that give me plenty food for thought on issues we need to work on over the next week before the Stevenage game.
"It's a mixed bag today - certainly pleased and delighted to be in the next round, delighted to keep the clean sheet, delighted we've got some young players playing and making debuts - they're real positives in where this football club is going to go.
"I don't think we passed the ball and retained possession as fluently as we have done and I thought it's a big learning curve for the younger players."
Live text and stats
Saturday, 11 August 2012
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Collin
- 05 Livesey
- 15 Edwards
- 31 Bugno
- 04 McGovern (Symington 78)
- 08 Noble
- 16 Potts
- 21 Berrett
- 24 Chantler (Thirlwell 90+1)
- 03 Robson
- 14 Miller yellow card (Beck 83)
- 20 Gillespie,
- 02 Simek,
- 06 Murphy,
- 07 Welsh,
- 12 Thirlwell,
- 19 Symington,
- 17 Beck
- 25 Dunbavin
- 02 Murphy
- 03 Liddle yellow card
- 05 Nsiala yellow card (Eckersley 77)
- 04 Joyce
- 08 Barnett (Hatfield 56)
- 11 Chippandale
- 12 Miller
- 14 Clark (Dawson 70)
- 07 Lindfield
- 09 Sheppard
- 22 Dawber,
- 18 Eckersley,
- 24 Molyneux,
- 10 Hatfield,
- 15 Dixon,
- 30 Dawson,
- 17 Gray
- Carlisle 45%
- Accrington 55%
Attempts on target
- Carlisle 5
- Accrington 2
Attempts off target
- Carlisle 4
- Accrington 3
- Carlisle 4
- Accrington 3
- Carlisle 8
- Accrington 9
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+3:26 The referee blows his whistle to end the game.
- 90:00+2:36 Matt Robson decides to take a short corner.
- 90:00+1:13 Outswinging corner taken by Aiden Chippandale, free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Danny Livesey by Peter Murphy. Adam Collin restarts play with the free kick.
- 89:48 Substitution Paul Thirlwell comes on in place of Chris Chantler.
- 89:48 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Adam Dawson by Alessio Bugno. Aiden Chippandale takes the free kick.
- 87:55 Will Hatfield is ruled offside. Free kick taken by Adam Collin.
- 85:17 Michael Liddle produces a cross, save made by Adam Collin.
- 84:36 David Symington has an effort at goal from just inside the box that misses to the left of the goal.
- 83:30 Shot from just outside the area by Peter Murphy goes over the bar.
- Correction - 82:34 Substitution Lee Miller goes off and Mark Beck comes on.
- 82:34 Substitution (Carlisle) makes a substitution, with Mark Beck coming on for Lee Miller.
- 82:34 Matt Robson takes a shot. Save made by Ian Dunbavin.
- 80:35 Shot from outside the area by Liam Noble misses to the left of the target.
- 77:01 Substitution David Symington joins the action as a substitute, replacing Jon-Paul McGovern.
- 76:22 Substitution Thomas Eckersley is brought on as a substitute for Aristote Nsiala.
- 76:22 Liam Noble takes a shot. Blocked by Luke Joyce.
- 74:16 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Matt Robson by Aristote Nsiala. Free kick taken by Jon-Paul McGovern.
- 71:21 Liam Noble gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Will Hatfield. Direct free kick taken by Craig Lindfield.
- 68:48 Substitution Adam Dawson is brought on as a substitute for Luke Clark.
- 68:48 The official flags Michael Liddle offside. Adam Collin takes the free kick.
- 68:24 Centre by Aiden Chippandale, clearance by Danny Livesey.
- 66:38 Booking Michael Liddle shown a yellow card.
- 66:22 Free kick awarded for a foul by Michael Liddle on James Berrett. Free kick taken by Brad Potts.
- 65:38 Matt Robson takes a shot. Save by Ian Dunbavin.
- 64:49 Unfair challenge on Will Hatfield by Liam Noble results in a free kick. Aristote Nsiala takes the free kick.
- 60:55 Aristote Nsiala gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Lee Miller. Free kick taken by Adam Collin.
- 60:29 Booking Aristote Nsiala booked for unsporting behaviour.
- 60:14 Booking The referee books Lee Miller for unsporting behaviour.
- 59:43 Aristote Nsiala fouled by Lee Miller, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick taken by Luke Joyce.
- 57:03 Mike Edwards concedes a free kick for a foul on Karl Sheppard. Direct free kick taken by Aiden Chippandale.
- 54:42 Substitution Will Hatfield comes on in place of Charlie Barnett.
- 54:42 Aiden Chippandale takes a shot. Save by Adam Collin. Charlie Barnett takes a inswinging corner from the right by-line played to the near post, Close range strike by Luke Clark goes over the bar.
- 53:08 The ball is sent over by Matt Robson, Peter Murphy makes a clearance.
- 51:12 Effort from the edge of the box by Aiden Chippandale goes wide of the left-hand post.
- 47:48 Effort from just outside the area by Liam Noble goes over the bar.
- 46:44 Shot from outside the box by Lee Miller misses to the left of the target.
- 45:01 The second half begins.
- Half Time
- 45:00+1:18 The players leave the pitch at half time.
- 45:00+0:36 Corner taken by Jon-Paul McGovern from the left by-line.
- 41:15 Mike Edwards fouled by Aiden Chippandale, the ref awards a free kick. Adam Collin restarts play with the free kick.
- 38:08 The assist for the goal came from James Berrett.
- 38:08 GOAL - Matt Robson:Carlisle 1 - 0 Accrington Stanley Matt Robson grabs a goal from deep inside the penalty box to the top left corner of the goal. Carlisle 1-0 Accrington Stanley.
- 33:48 James Berrett takes a shot. Save by Ian Dunbavin. Jon-Paul McGovern takes the outswinging corner, clearance by Aristote Nsiala.
- 30:32 Free kick awarded for a foul by Aiden Chippandale on James Berrett. Adam Collin restarts play with the free kick.
- 29:08 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Luke Clark by James Berrett. Charlie Barnett takes the free kick.
- 28:20 Matt Robson crosses the ball, Peter Murphy makes a clearance.
- 27:05 Luke Joyce takes a shot. Adam Collin makes a save.
- 26:22 Foul by Brad Potts on Michael Liddle, free kick awarded. Michael Liddle takes the free kick.
- 20:58 Free kick awarded for a foul by Aristote Nsiala on Matt Robson. Free kick taken by Jon-Paul McGovern.
- 16:19 Matt Robson produces a cross.
- 14:47 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Alessio Bugno by Luke Clark. Alessio Bugno restarts play with the free kick.
- 12:05 Aristote Nsiala challenges Lee Miller unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Liam Noble.
- 8:38 Jon-Paul McGovern crosses the ball, Craig Lindfield makes a clearance.
- 6:09 A cross is delivered by Matt Robson, Ian Dunbavin makes a save.
- 5:40 Corner from left by-line taken by Jon-Paul McGovern.
- 4:46 The referee blows for offside against Luke Clark. Free kick taken by Adam Collin.
- 3:26 Lee Miller gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Aristote Nsiala. Direct free kick taken by Ian Dunbavin.
- 2:09 Corner taken by Charlie Barnett from the right by-line to the near post, Brad Potts manages to make a clearance.
- 0:00 The game begins.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.