Newcastle 2 - 1 Tottenham
Hatem Ben Arfa's penalty gave Newcastle an opening-day victory and ensured Andre Villas-Boas began his tenure as Tottenham manager with defeat.
Spurs hit the woodwork twice before Demba Ba put Newcastle ahead with a wonderful curling strike.
Jermain Defoe levelled from close range after Magpies boss Alan Pardew was sent to the stands for shoving a linesman.
But Ben Arfa won it from the spot after he was fouled by Aaron Lennon, picking himself up to slot past Brad Friedel.
A trip to the north east always looked a tricky start for Villas-Boas, against a Newcastle side aiming to build on their fifth-place finish last time out.
The Magpies were last season's surprise package but this time it is Spurs who are the unknown quantity, beginning life under a new manager who is rebuilding his reputation after his ill-fated stint at Chelsea and still constructing his squad.
That process will continue if and when Luka Modric leaves for Real Madrid before the end of the month and, on this evidence, Villas-Boas will surely intensify his efforts to sign Manchester City striker Emmanuel Adebayor to bolster his attacking options.
Spurs had the better of the first half, new signing Gylfi Sigurdsson denied by Tim Krul - although the £8m Iceland midfielder did not know he had already been wrongly ruled offside.
"It's a winning start for Newcastle United. No points on the board for Spurs boss Andre Villas-Boas, who might feel a little unlucky. They were the best team in the first half but Newcastle took their chances in the second half."
More opportunities followed before the break, with Defoe cutting into the area to prod a shot against the post, before Bale met Lennon's enticing cross with a header that looped back off the bar.
But Spurs could not make their chances count while, in contrast, Newcastle put away their first opening of note nine minutes after the break.
Kyle Walker failed to deal with Danny Simpson's cross and his header fell at the feet of Ba, who turned to curl home an unstoppable shot and end his run of 14 games without a goal.
The Magpies had Pardew sent off soon afterwards, the Newcastle boss pushing linesman Peter Kirkup after claiming the ball had gone out of play in the build-up to a Sigurdsson shot that flew wide.
And Pardew soon had more to get angry about from his vantage point high in the stands.
Defoe saw his header from a Lennon cross hit Davide Santon before being scrambled on to the post by Krul, but, with the Newcastle defence static, he reacted quickest to fire home the loose ball.
Spurs were level for less than five minutes, however, as Ben Arfa delivered a timely reminder of what he is capable of when given space in the final third.
He burst into the area and, after being brought down by a combination of mis-timed challenges by Rafael van der Vaart and Lennon, sent Friedel the wrong way from the spot.
There was no way back from there for Tottenham, who only had teenager Harry Kane in the way of strikers to bring on from the bench and did not come close to salvaging a point in the final 10 minutes.
Live text and stats
Saturday, 18 August 2012
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Krul
- 03 Santon
- 05 Simpson yellow card
- 14 Perch
- 27 S Taylor
- 04 Cabaye yellow card (Anita 71)
- 10 Ben Arfa
- 18 Gutierrez
- 24 Tiote
- 09 Cisse
- 19 Ba (Obertan 85)
- 24 Friedel
- 04 Kaboul
- 13 Gallas
- 28 Walker
- 32 Assou-Ekotto
- 07 Lennon
- 11 Bale
- 22 Sigurdsson (Van der Vaart 68)
- 29 Livermore yellow card
- 30 Sandro yellow card (Kane 85)
- 18 Defoe
- Newcastle 60%
- Tottenham 40%
Attempts on target
- Newcastle 4
- Tottenham 6
Attempts off target
- Newcastle 2
- Tottenham 6
- Newcastle 3
- Tottenham 5
- Newcastle 12
- Tottenham 8
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+3:29 The final whistle is blown by the referee.
- 90:00+3:07 Free kick awarded for a foul by Vurnon Anita on William Gallas. Direct free kick taken by Kyle Walker.
- 90:00+1:53 Harry Kane is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Free kick taken by Tim Krul.
- 90:00+0:51 Unfair challenge on Kyle Walker by Hatem Ben Arfa results in a free kick. Rafael Van der Vaart crosses the ball from the free kick left-footed from right wing, save made by Tim Krul.
- 89:53 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Rafael Van der Vaart by Cheick Tiote. Benoit Assou-Ekotto takes the free kick.
- 87:00 The referee blows for offside. Indirect free kick taken by Rafael Van der Vaart.
- 86:26 Jermain Defoe crosses the ball.
- Correction - 84:45 Substitution (Tottenham) makes a substitution, with Harry Kane coming on for Raniere Sandro.
- 84:45 Substitution Jake Livermore leaves the field to be replaced by Harry Kane.
- 84:22 Substitution Gabriel Obertan joins the action as a substitute, replacing Demba Ba.
- 83:53 Hatem Ben Arfa decides to take a short corner.
- 83:40 Drilled right-footed shot by Jonas Gutierrez. Brilliant save by Brad Friedel.
- 82:19 Danny Simpson gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Jermain Defoe. The free kick is delivered left-footed by Rafael Van der Vaart from left channel, save by Tim Krul.
- 81:58 Free kick awarded for a foul by Hatem Ben Arfa on Gareth Bale. Rafael Van der Vaart takes the free kick.
- 79:20 GOAL - Hatem Ben Arfa:Newcastle 2 - 1 Tottenham Penalty taken left-footed by Hatem Ben Arfa and scored. Newcastle 2-1 Tottenham.
- 78:31 Rafael Van der Vaart gives away a Penalty for an unfair challenge on Hatem Ben Arfa.
- 77:47 Hatem Ben Arfa takes a short corner.
- 77:13 Shot from 25 yards from Cheick Tiote. Blocked by Raniere Sandro.
- 75:16 Aaron Lennon provided the assist for the goal.
- 75:16 GOAL - Jermain Defoe:Newcastle 1 - 1 Tottenham Jermain Defoe finds the back of the net with a goal from inside the six-yard box low into the middle of the goal. Newcastle 1-1 Tottenham.
- 74:30 Inswinging corner taken by Rafael Van der Vaart from the right by-line.
- 74:15 Jermain Defoe produces a drilled right-footed shot from 25 yards. Blocked by James Perch.
- 71:50 Effort from 12 yards by Jermain Defoe. Tim Krul makes a brilliant save.
- 70:18 Substitution Vurnon Anita is brought on as a substitute for Yohan Cabaye.
- 69:48 Corner taken by Rafael Van der Vaart from the left by-line.
- 69:42 The ball is swung over by Rafael Van der Vaart, clearance by Danny Simpson.
- 69:04 The ball is swung over by Benoit Assou-Ekotto, blocked by Danny Simpson.
- 67:22 Substitution Gylfi Sigurdsson leaves the field to be replaced by Rafael Van der Vaart.
- Correction - 61:41 Papiss Cisse is ruled offside. William Gallas restarts play with the free kick.
- 61:41 The assistant referee flags for offside against Papiss Cisse. Indirect free kick taken by Brad Friedel.
- 60:57 Free kick awarded for a foul by Jake Livermore on Jonas Gutierrez. Direct free kick taken by Tim Krul.
- 60:33 Benoit Assou-Ekotto has an effort at goal from 35 yards. Brilliant save by Tim Krul.
- 58:20 Foul by Kyle Walker on Demba Ba, free kick awarded. Yohan Cabaye crosses the ball from the free kick right-footed from left wing, Younes Kaboul manages to make a clearance.
- 57:13 Shot from just outside the box by Gylfi Sigurdsson misses to the right of the goal.
- 55:25 Foul by Yohan Cabaye on Gylfi Sigurdsson, free kick awarded. Strike on goal comes in from Younes Kaboul from the free kick, Jonas Gutierrez gets a block in.
- 54:00 Danny Simpson provided the assist for the goal.
- 54:00 GOAL - Demba Ba:Newcastle 1 - 0 Tottenham Demba Ba scores a goal from just inside the area to the bottom right corner of the goal. Newcastle 1-0 Tottenham.
- 53:54 Danny Simpson delivers the ball, clearance made by Kyle Walker.
- 47:34 Aaron Lennon sends in a cross, Yohan Cabaye makes a clearance.
- 46:40 The ball is delivered by Hatem Ben Arfa, Younes Kaboul manages to make a clearance.
- 45:01 The referee gets the second half underway.
- Half Time
- 45:00+2:19 The ref blows to signal half-time.
- 45:00+1:52 Benoit Assou-Ekotto restarts play with the free kick.
- 45:00+1:52 Booking Yohan Cabaye receives a caution for unsporting behaviour.
- 45:00+1:47 Yohan Cabaye challenges Gareth Bale unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 45:00+0:41 Inswinging corner taken by Yohan Cabaye from the left by-line, Kyle Walker manages to make a clearance.
- 45:00+0:33 The ball is crossed by Danny Simpson, William Gallas makes a clearance.
- 39:12 Jermain Defoe takes a shot from just outside the penalty area which clears the crossbar.
- 36:12 Raniere Sandro challenges Demba Ba unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Cheick Tiote.
- 35:57 A cross is delivered by Aaron Lennon, Gareth Bale takes a shot.
- 34:19 Foul by Cheick Tiote on Raniere Sandro, free kick awarded. William Gallas restarts play with the free kick.
- 31:22 Shot by Jermain Defoe from deep inside the penalty box bounces off the post.
- 30:41 Long range shot by Cheick Tiote goes over the bar.
- 28:32 Effort from outside the penalty box by Gylfi Sigurdsson goes wide left of the goal.
- 28:06 Gylfi Sigurdsson delivers the ball, Danny Simpson makes a clearance.
- 26:15 Gylfi Sigurdsson is adjudged to have handled the ball. Tim Krul takes the free kick.
- 25:53 Inswinging corner taken from the left by-line by Gylfi Sigurdsson.
- 24:34 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Gareth Bale by Danny Simpson. Shot comes in from Gylfi Sigurdsson from the free kick, Tim Krul makes a save.
- 22:56 Hatem Ben Arfa challenges Gylfi Sigurdsson unfairly and gives away a free kick. The free kick is delivered left-footed by Gareth Bale from left channel, clearance by Steven Taylor.
- 21:29 Demba Ba has an effort at goal from deep inside the area missing to the left of the target.
- Correction - 21:12 Effort on goal by Papiss Cisse from 20 yards. Demba Ba gets a block in.
- 21:12 Effort from 20 yards by Demba Ba. Demba Ba gets a block in.
- 18:42 The official flags Papiss Cisse offside. Indirect free kick taken by Brad Friedel.
- 18:25 Cheick Tiote takes the free kick.
- 18:25 Booking Raniere Sandro is shown a yellow card.
- 18:19 Raniere Sandro challenges Hatem Ben Arfa unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 18:07 Gareth Bale has an effort at goal. Steven Taylor gets a block in.
- 16:11 Yohan Cabaye takes the direct free kick.
- 16:11 Booking Caution for Jake Livermore.
- 15:52 Foul by Jake Livermore on Hatem Ben Arfa, free kick awarded.
- 13:29 Gylfi Sigurdsson crosses the ball from the free kick right-footed from left wing.
- 13:29 Booking Danny Simpson is cautioned.
- 13:24 Foul by Danny Simpson on Gareth Bale, free kick awarded.
- 13:07 Younes Kaboul fouled by Papiss Cisse, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick taken by Brad Friedel.
- 10:53 Gylfi Sigurdsson crosses the ball.
- 8:44 Raniere Sandro concedes a free kick for a foul on Jonas Gutierrez. Free kick crossed right-footed by Yohan Cabaye from left wing, comfortable save by Brad Friedel.
- 7:07 The referee blows for offside against Gylfi Sigurdsson. Tim Krul takes the indirect free kick.
- 5:58 Free kick awarded for a foul by Jake Livermore on Jonas Gutierrez. Free kick crossed by Yohan Cabaye.
- 1:38 Outswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Gylfi Sigurdsson.
- 1:02 Corner taken by Gylfi Sigurdsson from the right by-line, Demba Ba manages to make a clearance.
- 0:00 The match gets underway.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
CommentsJump to comments pagination
Comment number 117.Removed
20th August 2012 - 15:16
Comment number 116.smudger50
20th August 2012 - 14:31
Comment number 115.smudger50
20th August 2012 - 13:57
Comment number 114.Daniel Bennett
20th August 2012 - 13:47
Comment number 113.smudger50
20th August 2012 - 13:01