Real Madrid 3 - 2 Man City
Cristiano Ronaldo's last-minute winner gave Real Madrid a thrilling victory over Manchester City in a pulsating Champions League clash at the Bernabeu.
City keeper Joe Hart kept his side in the game before they took a shock lead through Edin Dzeko's breakaway goal.
Marcelo equalised with a deflected shot but City led again when Aleksandar Kolarov's free-kick flew straight in.
In a frantic finale, Karim Benzema levelled before Ronaldo's shot flew past an unsighted Hart to win it.
That brought a spectacular sliding celebration from Real boss Jose Mourinho - who had questioned his side's focus and commitment in recent days - and provided an extraordinary finish to a game which had been completely one-sided for long periods.
The Spanish side dominated until Dzeko put City ahead after the hour mark, with Hart rescuing his side on several occasions.
Real's Bernabeu record
If Manchester City had held on to win at the Bernabeu, it would have been the first time in Real Madrid's history that the nine-times European Cup champions had fallen to defeat in their first home match of the competition, a record now consisting of 41 wins and two draws, the most recent of which came against Anderlecht, exactly 50 years ago.
But, having led with less than three minutes remaining, Roberto Mancini's men will still feel they should have won the game, let alone finish up empty-handed as they began their campaign in Group D.
A trip to the home of the Spanish champions always looked a tough way for City to begin their task of reaching the knockout stages for the first time, especially because there was no sign of any lethargy or discontent in the Real camp.
They took the game to City from the start and, inside the first five minutes, Ronaldo tested Hart for the first time when he cut inside Vincent Kompany and fired in a low shot that was heading for the bottom corner until the England keeper clawed it to safety.
That set the pattern for the rest of the first half, with Ronaldo giving Maicon a torrid time down City's right, while Angel di Maria and Alvaro Arbeloa saw plenty of the ball on the opposite flank.
Hart had to come to City's rescue again with an instinctive block to keep out Gonzalo Higuain's header from Ronaldo's cross-shot, before racing off his line to close down Higuain after he beat the offside trap.
By now, Real were completely dominant and City were also grateful for some poor finishing from Higuain and Sami Khedira, who both missed the target from point-blank range.
Tellingly, Yaya Toure was City's only attacking outlet before the break, twice causing the Real defence problems after running at them from deep positions but failing to find a decisive final ball.
He was to put that right in style when he again charged forward and fed Dzeko, who steadied himself before firing home.
The goal came completely against the run of play, but it was almost followed by a second for the visitors when Carlos Tevez slipped Toure free. However he was off balance when he let fly inside the box and could only fire into the side netting.
Mourinho made a flurry of changes in a bid to rescue the game, with Benzema and Luka Modric both flung on, and in the end the home side's pressure told.
Marcelo, who had earlier gone close with two fizzing efforts from the edge of the box, made it third time lucky when he stepped inside Vincent Kompany and saw his shot come off Javi Garcia and fly into the net.
The visitors remained on the back foot but they also remained a threat at the other end, and Kolarov restored their lead when he bent the ball straight into the net from 25 yards out.
Again, the travelling fans scented what would have been a famous triumph but, once more, Real came forward, with Benzema turning inside Matija Nastasic before finding the bottom corner to make it 2-2.
From being on the brink of victory, City were now clinging on for a point. There was yet more drama to come, however, and it was former Manchester United star Ronaldo who would provide it.
With the 90 minutes almost up, he cut inside from the left and, after Kompany ducked under his shot, the ball cruelly fizzed past the helpless Hart.
Live text and stats
Tuesday, 18 September 2012
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
|Real Madrid||3-2||Man City||FT|
- 01 Casillas
- 02 Varane
- 03 Pepe
- 12 Marcelo
- 17 Arbeloa
- 06 Khedira (Modric 73)
- 07 Ronaldo
- 14 Alonso
- 15 Essien (Ozil 65)
- 22 Di Maria
- 20 Higuain (Benzema 73)
- 13 Adan,
- 04 Ramos,
- 05 Coentrao,
- 08 Kaka,
- 10 Ozil,
- 19 Modric,
- 09 Benzema
- 01 Hart
- 03 Maicon (Zabaleta 74)
- 04 Kompany yellow card
- 22 Clichy
- 33 Mattija Nastasic
- 08 Nasri (Kolarov 36)
- 14 Garcia yellow card
- 18 Barry
- 21 Silva (Dzeko 63 yellow card)
- 42 Y Toure
- 32 Tevez
- Real Madrid 54%
- Man City 46%
Attempts on target
- Real Madrid 16
- Man City 5
Attempts off target
- Real Madrid 13
- Man City 3
- Real Madrid 7
- Man City 3
- Real Madrid 6
- Man City 9
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+3:05 The referee ends the match.
- 90:00+1:21 Free kick awarded for a foul by Pablo Zabaleta on Cristiano Ronaldo. Free kick taken by Xabi Alonso.
- 89:39 GOAL - Cristiano Ronaldo:Real Madrid 3 - 2 Man City Cristiano Ronaldo gets on the score sheet with a goal from the edge of the penalty area low into the middle of the goal. Real Madrid 3-2 Man City.
- 89:19 Karim Benzema takes a shot. Save by Joe Hart.
- 88:51 Indirect free kick taken by Raphael Varane.
- 88:51 Booking The referee shows Edin Dzeko a yellow card.
- 88:45 The referee penalises Edin Dzeko for handball.
- 87:58 Centre by Alvaro Arbeloa, Gael Clichy gets a block in.
- 87:41 Cristiano Ronaldo takes a shot. Joe Hart makes a save.
- 86:29 Assist by Angel Di Maria.
- 86:29 GOAL - Karim Benzema:Real Madrid 2 - 2 Man City A goal is scored by Karim Benzema from just inside the penalty area to the bottom right corner of the goal. Real Madrid 2-2 Man City.
- 84:49 GOAL - Aleksandar Kolarov:Real Madrid 1 - 2 Man City Aleksandar Kolarov grabs a goal direct from the free kick from long range to the bottom left corner of the goal. Real Madrid 1-2 Man City.
- 84:05 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Pablo Zabaleta by Karim Benzema.
- 83:52 Corner taken right-footed by Carlos Tevez to the near post, Cristiano Ronaldo makes a clearance.
- 82:55 Carlos Tevez takes a inswinging corner from the left by-line played to the near post, Kleper Pepe makes a clearance.
- 82:21 Aleksandar Kolarov sends in a cross, Raphael Varane gets a block in.
- 81:18 Luka Modric has a curled shot. Joe Hart makes a save.
- 79:33 Outswinging corner taken from the left by-line by Angel Di Maria. Karim Benzema takes a shot. Joe Hart makes a save. Xabi Alonso takes the chance to get an effort at goal. Save made by Joe Hart.
- 79:11 The ball is swung over by Angel Di Maria, Matija Nastasic manages to make a clearance.
- 78:11 The ball is delivered by Luka Modric, Pablo Zabaleta makes a clearance.
- 75:53 The ball is sent over by Francisco Javi Garcia.
- 75:20 GOAL - Junior Marcelo:Real Madrid 1 - 1 Man City Junior Marcelo scores a goal from just inside the penalty area high into the middle of the goal. Real Madrid 1-1 Man City.
- 74:42 Yaya Toure has an effort at goal from the edge of the area that misses to the right of the target.
- 72:44 Substitution Pablo Zabaleta on for Sisenando Maicon.
- 72:44 Substitution Gonzalo Higuain leaves the field to be replaced by Karim Benzema.
- 72:44 Substitution Sami Khedira leaves the field to be replaced by Luka Modric.
- 72:09 The ball is swung over by Angel Di Maria.
- 71:46 Aleksandar Kolarov takes a shot. Iker Casillas makes a save.
- 69:28 Free kick crossed right-footed by Xabi Alonso, Vincent Kompany makes a clearance. Corner taken left-footed by Angel Di Maria from the right by-line, Headed effort from deep inside the penalty area by Raphael Varane goes harmlessly over the crossbar.
- 69:28 Booking Vincent Kompany shown a yellow card.
- 69:25 Unfair challenge on Cristiano Ronaldo by Vincent Kompany results in a free kick.
- 68:01 The assist for the goal came from Yaya Toure.
- 68:01 GOAL - Edin Dzeko:Real Madrid 0 - 1 Man City A goal is scored by Edin Dzeko from just inside the area low into the middle of the goal. Real Madrid 0-1 Man City.
- 67:16 Foul by Gael Clichy on Junior Marcelo, free kick awarded. Xabi Alonso takes the free kick.
- 64:55 Angel Di Maria has an effort at goal from 25 yards. Blocked by Vincent Kompany. Junior Marcelo takes a shot from just outside the penalty area clears the crossbar.
- 64:20 Substitution Mesut Ozil is brought on as a substitute for Michael Essien.
- 63:47 The assistant referee flags for offside against Edin Dzeko. Free kick taken by Raphael Varane.
- 61:01 The free kick is delivered right-footed by Carlos Tevez from left wing. Shot from outside the penalty box by Carlos Tevez goes wide right of the goal.
- 61:01 Substitution Edin Dzeko on for David Silva.
- 61:01 David Silva fouled by Raphael Varane, the ref awards a free kick.
- 59:48 Long range shot by Junior Marcelo goes wide right of the goal.
- 59:01 Corner taken short by Angel Di Maria. The ball is sent over by Sami Khedira.
- 58:40 Centre by Cristiano Ronaldo.
- 56:20 Effort on goal by Angel Di Maria from just inside the penalty box goes harmlessly over the target.
- 55:55 Junior Marcelo crosses the ball, Vincent Kompany manages to make a clearance.
- 54:42 Michael Essien challenges Yaya Toure unfairly and gives away a free kick. Vincent Kompany restarts play with the free kick.
- 53:50 Corner from the right by-line taken by Aleksandar Kolarov, Francisco Javi Garcia produces a header from inside the area that goes over the crossbar.
- 53:20 Yaya Toure produces a drilled right-footed shot from 25 yards. Blocked by Raphael Varane.
- 51:30 The free kick is delivered right-footed by Xabi Alonso from right channel.
- 51:30 Booking Francisco Javi Garcia shown a yellow card.
- 50:59 Centre by Sami Khedira. The ball is delivered by Gonzalo Higuain, Junior Marcelo takes a shot. Francisco Javi Garcia gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Sami Khedira.
- 49:43 Junior Marcelo fouled by Sisenando Maicon, the ref awards a free kick. Raphael Varane takes the free kick.
- 46:54 Inswinging corner taken by Xabi Alonso from the left by-line.
- 46:26 Angel Di Maria produces a left-footed shot from just outside the penalty box that goes wide left of the target.
- 45:25 Sisenando Maicon crosses the ball, clearance by Kleper Pepe.
- 45:01 The second half has started.
- Half Time
- 45:00+1:03 The first half comes to an end.
- 45:00+0:24 Angel Di Maria produces a left-footed shot from a long way out which goes wide right of the goal.
- 44:39 Aleksandar Kolarov is caught offside. Kleper Pepe takes the free kick.
- 44:10 Free kick awarded for a foul by Kleper Pepe on Carlos Tevez. David Silva takes the direct free kick.
- 42:48 Gael Clichy challenges Angel Di Maria unfairly and gives away a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Xabi Alonso. The ball is crossed by Angel Di Maria, clearance by Matija Nastasic.
- 41:47 Foul by Sami Khedira on Yaya Toure, free kick awarded. Direct free kick taken by David Silva.
- 41:14 Angel Di Maria has an effort at goal from outside the penalty box missing to the wide left of the goal.
- 40:36 Cristiano Ronaldo has an effort at goal. Sisenando Maicon gets a block in.
- 39:19 A cross is delivered by Angel Di Maria, Close range effort by Gonzalo Higuain clears the crossbar.
- 38:47 Foul by Gareth Barry on Angel Di Maria, free kick awarded. Alvaro Arbeloa takes the direct free kick.
- 37:12 Effort on goal by David Silva from 20 yards. Blocked by Xabi Alonso.
- 36:38 Shot by Michael Essien. Francisco Javi Garcia gets a block in.
- 35:54 Substitution Aleksandar Kolarov on for Samir Nasri.
- 35:14 Centre by Junior Marcelo, Sisenando Maicon gets a block in.
- 32:11 The ball is swung over by Sisenando Maicon.
- 31:03 Junior Marcelo takes a shot. Joe Hart makes a save.
- 29:23 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Alvaro Arbeloa by Gareth Barry. Direct free kick taken by Raphael Varane.
- 28:45 Sami Khedira delivers the ball, Sisenando Maicon gets a block in. Michael Essien has an effort at goal from a long way out that misses to the right of the target.
- 27:13 The ball is delivered by Cristiano Ronaldo, Vincent Kompany makes a clearance.
- 26:16 Shot from long distance by Cristiano Ronaldo goes wide of the left-hand post.
- 25:23 Samir Nasri is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Alvaro Arbeloa restarts play with the free kick.
- 24:38 A cross is delivered by Michael Essien, Matija Nastasic manages to make a clearance. The ball is delivered by Junior Marcelo, Vincent Kompany manages to make a clearance.
- 21:53 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Cristiano Ronaldo by Sisenando Maicon. Free kick crossed right-footed by Xabi Alonso from left wing, save by Joe Hart.
- 20:04 Cristiano Ronaldo has an effort at goal from 20 yards. Francisco Javi Garcia gets a block in. Effort on goal by Sami Khedira from inside the penalty area goes harmlessly over the bar.
- 18:14 The ball is sent over by Sisenando Maicon, clearance by Kleper Pepe.
- 17:45 Alvaro Arbeloa takes a shot. Joe Hart makes a save.
- 16:02 Corner taken by Angel Di Maria from the right by-line, clearance made by Matija Nastasic.
- 11:47 Cristiano Ronaldo takes the chance to get an effort at goal. Save made by Joe Hart.
- 9:40 Xabi Alonso gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on David Silva. Vincent Kompany takes the direct free kick.
- 8:25 Corner taken by Angel Di Maria from the right by-line played to the near post, clearance by Francisco Javi Garcia. Corner taken left-footed by Angel Di Maria, Sisenando Maicon manages to make a clearance.
- 8:00 Cristiano Ronaldo takes a shot. Joe Hart makes a save.
- 4:46 Alvaro Arbeloa crosses the ball, Sisenando Maicon makes a clearance.
- 2:39 Cristiano Ronaldo delivers the ball.
- 1:34 Long distance effort from Cristiano Ronaldo misses to the left of the goal.
- 0:00 The game kicks-off.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
CommentsJump to comments pagination
Comment number 210.Cliff baxter
20th September 2012 - 15:05
Comment number 209.Willymanc
19th September 2012 - 22:10
Comment number 208.cienfuegos
19th September 2012 - 19:22
Comment number 207.Football_understand
19th September 2012 - 18:50
Comment number 206.daaayne
19th September 2012 - 18:12