West Ham 0 - 0 Man City
Manchester City maintained their unbeaten start in the Premier League but had to settle for a point from a hard-fought encounter with West Ham.
The Hammers started brightly and were unlucky to see a Kevin Nolan goal ruled out for offside before Yossi Benayoun slammed a volley against the bar.
City's best first-half chance saw Mario Balotelli miss from point-blank range.
But the visitors improved after the break and Tevez and Gareth Barry wasted good opportunities before the end.
It was a difficult evening for City boss Roberto Mancini, who perhaps gave a sign of his current frustrations when he came out early for the second half and sat on his own in his dug-out waiting for his players to emerge.
Mancini saw his side fail to score for the first time since April and also had to deal with a temperamental reaction from striker Balotelli after taking the Italian off in the second half.
But things could have been even worse for the champions had the officials not come to their rescue just four minutes into the game.
Nolan found space to steer home Mark Noble's floated free-kick with a fine first-time finish but the goal was disallowed for offside - incorrectly, TV replays showed.
The hoisted ball into the box, usually aimed towards Andy Carroll, was predictably a favourite tactic of Sam Allardyce's side but they came forward with intelligence down the flanks too.
Why City usually enjoy Hammer time
West Ham have now won just one of their last 13 meetings against Manchester City, a 1-0 victory in March 2009 when Jack Collison scored the winner. Gianfranco Zola was Hammers boss and Mark Hughes was Manchester City manager. City's record against the Hammers since the 2006-07 season is P13 W8 D3 L1 F19 A6
Mohamed Diame cut in from the left to fizz in a shot that was rising as it flew over Joe Hart's crossbar and Benayoun went even closer after running in to meet an enticing Matt Jarvis cross with a volley that clattered against the same piece of woodwork.
Carroll's mere presence was a nuisance to City but he went close to breaking the deadlock himself too, when Benayoun returned his knockdown and the Hammers striker, with England boss Roy Hodgson watching from the stands, sent a low shot skidding inches wide.
At the other end, City were functional rather than free-flowing in the early stages, perhaps because of an unfamiliar front-line that saw Balotelli, Tevez and Edin Dzeko starting together for the first time.
Mancini's men showed little of the guile they will need to break down Ajax in their vital Champions League meeting on Tuesday until Balotelli blazed a Tevez free-kick over the bar 10 minutes before half-time.
City did improve in attack after the break but they still struggled to test Hammers keeper Jussi Jaaskelainen, and his stop after Tevez met a deflected Dzeko cross was his first serious save.
West Ham were never likely to lie down and Nolan and Andy Carroll both remained dangerous, with Carroll seeing an acrobatic effort deflect wide off Gael Clichy.
But it was City who looked increasingly likely to take home the three points, with Tevez blasting over as he tried to round off a neat move and Barry bundling the ball wide after referee Howard Webb missed what appeared to be a handball from another Dzeko cross.
By now the visitors had all the possession and Mancini tried a different combination in attack in an attempt to make a difference in front of goal, hauling off a visibly unhappy Balotelli and sending on Sergio Aguero instead.
It was to no avail. Aguero stung Jaaskelainen's palms from a quickly-taken free-kick but that was as close as City came to snatching a late victory, leaving Mancini to dwell on dropped points as well as planning for next week's crunch clash with the Dutch champions.
Live text and stats
Saturday, 3 November 2012
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
|West Ham||0-0||Man City||FT|
- 22 Jaaskelainen
- 02 Reid
- 03 McCartney yellow card
- 17 O'Brien
- 19 Collins yellow card (Spence 84)
- 04 Nolan
- 07 Jarvis
- 15 Benayoun yellow card
- 16 Noble
- 21 Diame (O'Neil 71)
- 08 Carroll (Cole 77)
- 01 Hart
- 04 Kompany
- 22 Clichy
- 28 K Toure
- 33 Nastasic
- 08 Nasri (Sinclair 90)
- 18 Barry
- 42 Y Toure
- 10 Dzeko
- 32 Tevez (Garcia 84)
- 45 Balotelli (Aguero 69)
- West Ham 39%
- Man City 61%
Attempts on target
- West Ham 1
- Man City 8
Attempts off target
- West Ham 5
- Man City 10
- West Ham 3
- Man City 7
- West Ham 11
- Man City 12
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+3:03 The match has reached full-time.
- 90:00+1:26 Francisco Javi Garcia challenges Kevin Nolan unfairly and gives away a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Joey O'Brien.
- 89:17 Substitution Samir Nasri goes off and Scott Sinclair comes on.
- 88:41 Yaya Toure takes a shot from just inside the penalty box which clears the bar.
- 88:02 Corner taken right-footed by Samir Nasri, clearance by Joey O'Brien.
- 84:32 Kolo Toure concedes a free kick for a foul on Matthew Jarvis. Free kick taken by Mark Noble.
- 83:04 Substitution James Collins leaves the field to be replaced by Jordan Spence.
- 83:04 Substitution Francisco Javi Garcia replaces Carlos Tevez.
- 81:12 Free kick crossed right-footed by Carlos Tevez from right wing, Carlton Cole makes a clearance.
- 81:12 Booking The referee shows George McCartney a yellow card for unsporting behaviour.
- 81:01 Foul by George McCartney on Gareth Barry, free kick awarded.
- 80:50 Sergio Aguero takes a shot. Blocked by James Collins.
- 79:22 Sergio Aguero takes a shot. Save by Jussi Jaaskelainen.
- 78:51 Gary O'Neil gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Samir Nasri. Yaya Toure takes the free kick.
- 76:53 Substitution Carlton Cole joins the action as a substitute, replacing Andy Carroll.
- 75:59 Effort on goal by Andy Carroll from inside the area goes harmlessly over the bar.
- 75:02 Edin Dzeko takes a shot. Blocked by James Collins.
- 71:47 Yossi Benayoun challenges Gareth Barry unfairly and gives away a free kick. Yaya Toure takes the free kick.
- 70:47 Substitution Gary O'Neil is brought on as a substitute for Mohamed Diame.
- 70:30 The assistant referee signals for offside against Sergio Aguero. Indirect free kick taken by Jussi Jaaskelainen.
- 68:09 Substitution (Man City) makes a substitution, with Sergio Aguero coming on for Mario Balotelli.
- 67:44 Gareth Barry produces a left-footed shot from deep inside the six-yard box which goes wide of the right-hand post.
- 66:51 Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Mark Noble, Gareth Barry makes a clearance.
- 66:14 Inswinging corner taken by Mark Noble from the left by-line played to the near post, Mario Balotelli makes a clearance.
- 65:30 The official flags Edin Dzeko offside. Indirect free kick taken by Jussi Jaaskelainen.
- 64:33 Shot by Carlos Tevez from deep inside the penalty area misses to the left of the goal.
- 61:42 Effort from deep inside the area by Edin Dzeko misses to the right of the target.
- 60:09 Free kick crossed right-footed by Carlos Tevez from left wing.
- 60:09 Booking Yossi Benayoun receives a caution for unsporting behaviour.
- 60:03 Yossi Benayoun concedes a free kick for a foul on Carlos Tevez.
- 59:29 Corner taken right-footed by Mark Noble from the right by-line, clearance by Matija Nastasic.
- 59:04 Andy Carroll takes a shot. Blocked by Gael Clichy.
- 57:36 Headed effort from deep inside the penalty area by Kevin Nolan misses to the right of the target.
- 57:05 Samir Nasri concedes a free kick for a foul on Yossi Benayoun. Free kick taken by James Collins.
- 55:50 Free kick taken by Carlos Tevez.
- 55:50 Booking James Collins booked for unsporting behaviour.
- 55:46 Free kick awarded for a foul by James Collins on Edin Dzeko.
- 54:47 Corner taken by Carlos Tevez from the left by-line, Unfair challenge on Winston Reid by Yaya Toure results in a free kick. Jussi Jaaskelainen takes the direct free kick.
- 54:07 Kevin Nolan is ruled offside. Indirect free kick taken by Joe Hart.
- 53:29 Mohamed Diame fouled by Gareth Barry, the ref awards a free kick. Direct free kick taken by James Collins.
- 52:14 Outswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Carlos Tevez, Joey O'Brien manages to make a clearance.
- 51:37 Corner taken right-footed by Carlos Tevez, save made by Jussi Jaaskelainen.
- 50:44 Outswinging corner taken right-footed by Carlos Tevez from the right by-line, clearance by Joey O'Brien.
- 49:28 Carlos Tevez takes a shot. Save made by Jussi Jaaskelainen.
- 45:01 The referee starts the second half.
- Half Time
- 45:00+1:01 The whistle is blown to end the first half.
- 44:32 Shot by Mario Balotelli from deep inside the penalty area misses to the right of the target.
- 43:16 Effort from deep inside the area by Yaya Toure misses to the right of the goal.
- 42:45 Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Carlos Tevez from the left by-line to the near post, Andy Carroll makes a clearance.
- 39:04 Foul by Yaya Toure on Yossi Benayoun, free kick awarded. Direct free kick taken by Mark Noble.
- 37:10 Effort on goal by Mario Balotelli from deep inside the penalty area misses to the right of the goal.
- 36:01 Foul by Yaya Toure on Mark Noble, free kick awarded. Mark Noble takes the free kick.
- 31:42 Mohamed Diame challenges Yaya Toure unfairly and gives away a free kick. The ball is delivered by Carlos Tevez, Mario Balotelli produces a right-footed shot from inside the six-yard box that clears the bar.
- 31:05 Outswinging corner taken by Carlos Tevez from the right by-line, clearance by Andy Carroll.
- 30:51 Volleyed right-footed shot by Mario Balotelli. Yossi Benayoun gets a block in.
- 29:47 Mohamed Diame concedes a free kick for a foul on Edin Dzeko. Yaya Toure takes the free kick.
- 29:11 Samir Nasri challenges Mark Noble unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Jussi Jaaskelainen.
- 23:24 Free kick awarded for a foul by Andy Carroll on Vincent Kompany. Free kick taken by Vincent Kompany.
- 23:11 Edin Dzeko takes a shot. Jussi Jaaskelainen makes a comfortable save.
- 21:14 Andy Carroll has an effort at goal from just outside the box which goes wide of the right-hand post.
- 20:38 Mario Balotelli concedes a free kick for a foul on Mark Noble. James Collins takes the direct free kick.
- 20:04 Yaya Toure produces a right-footed shot from a long way out which goes wide right of the goal.
- 17:48 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Edin Dzeko by Mohamed Diame. Shot comes in from Carlos Tevez from the free kick.
- 17:01 Effort on goal by Yossi Benayoun from 12 yards.
- 12:59 Gael Clichy gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Yossi Benayoun. Free kick taken by Mark Noble.
- 12:07 Effort on goal by Mohamed Diame from just outside the area goes harmlessly over the target.
- 11:22 Kolo Toure gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Andy Carroll. James Collins restarts play with the free kick.
- 10:05 Free kick awarded for a foul by Kevin Nolan on Edin Dzeko. Direct effort from the free kick comes in from Mario Balotelli.
- 9:02 The referee blows for offside against Edin Dzeko. Jussi Jaaskelainen restarts play with the free kick.
- 8:49 Samir Nasri takes a shot. Save made by Jussi Jaaskelainen.
- 5:06 Andy Carroll challenges Matija Nastasic unfairly and gives away a free kick. Joe Hart takes the free kick.
- 3:44 Kevin Nolan is caught offside. Indirect free kick taken by Joe Hart.
- 3:16 Yaya Toure challenges Andy Carroll unfairly and gives away a free kick. Mark Noble restarts play with the free kick.
- 0:00 The game begins.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.