Tottenham 0 - 1 Wigan
Tottenham suffered a shock defeat at White Hart Lane as Ben Watson scored the only goal of the game to give Wigan a second successive Premier League win.
The Wigan midfielder scored from close range early in the second half to give Roberto Martinez's side a famous win.
Spurs were booed off after what is a second straight home defeat, having failed to score in a Premier League game for the first time this season.
Englishman breaks record
- Ben Watson becomes the first Englishman to score a league goal for Wigan in 2012. They had scored 34 league goals in 2012 before this match and all had been scored by overseas players
- Tottenham Hotspur have lost back-to-back Premier League home games for the first time since September 2008
- Spurs failed to score at home in the Premier League for the first time since 19 March 2011, this after netting in 29 successive games at White Hart Lane before this match
Source: Opta Sports
Spurs slip to fifth in the table, while Wigan move above Liverpool into 12th.
Few would argue that Martinez's side did not deserve the points. Wigan, the team who could not beat Bradford in the League Cup on Tuesday, overcame the might of Spurs with a first-half performance packed with flair and attacking verve and a second-half display that highlighted their many defensive qualities.
There was little comfort here for Andre Villas-Boas. In guiding Tottenham to five wins in six Premier League matches, the young Portuguese had gone some way towards winning over the many sceptics at his new club - not least those who booed their manager off at half-time against Queens Park Rangers a month ago.
But this result represents a jarring reality check against a side Spurs had been expected to beat, and beat well.
Three years ago Wigan had lost 9-1 here. They came back the following season to record a famous victory, the only home defeat Spurs suffered in the league that term. The brilliance of Gareth Bale decided last year's encounter in Spurs' favour, and few expected the sequence of results to continue as it did.
From the off, Martinez's side were sure-footed and progressive, carving out three clear-cut chances in the first half with their incisive passing and clever movement.
Tottenham's Brad Friedel was much the busier of the two goalkeepers, denying Shaun Maloney and Arouna Kone, who were tremendous throughout, with important blocks, before Watson fired over from the edge of the penalty area.
Jan Vertonghen's dipping volley from a half-cleared corner represented Tottenham's best chance of a frustrating first half.
Tactically smart, Wigan's work-rate was also admirable, their players often doubling up on Tottenham's main threats, such as Bale. Jermain Defoe also had unwelcome company throughout.
After the break, Wigan battled for everything and dominated territory with their fast and fluent approach, taking the lead after Franco Di Santo forced a corner.
Maloney curled it wickedly under Friedel's crossbar and the American goalkeeper clawed it out but only as far as Watson, who thumped the ball across the line from close-range.
Wigan had scored 35 league goals since the turn of the year, but this was the first to have been scored by an Englishman.
White Hart Lane fell silent. The noise only built again when Villas-Boas threw Adebayor into the fray but there was anger and disbelief in the stands as it became clear the Togo striker was to replace Defoe, rather than play alongside him.
Spurs responded as Bale fired a shot that Al Habsi did well to turn to safety before James McCarthy cleared Steven Caulker's goalbound header off the line with a header of his own. A second successive home defeat in the Premier League was beckoning for the first time since September 2008.
Maynor Figueroa fizzed a free-kick narrowly wide of Friedel's goal but much of the pressure was coming from Spurs now, and Gary Caldwell and Ivan Ramis were leading from the front as Wigan threw bodies in the way of Tottenham shots.
Bale curled a free-kick narrowly wide in time added on but Wigan weathered the cold and Tottenham's late storm to hold on for victory.
Live text and stats
Saturday, 3 November 2012
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 24 Friedel
- 05 Vertonghen
- 13 Gallas
- 28 Walker (Carroll 79)
- 33 Caulker
- 02 Dempsey yellow card
- 06 Huddlestone
- 07 Lennon
- 11 Bale
- 30 Sandro (Sigurdsson 23)
- 18 Defoe (Adebayor 57)
- 26 Al Habsi
- 05 Caldwell
- 17 Boyce
- 21 Ramis
- 31 Figueroa yellow card
- 04 McCarthy
- 08 Watson
- 10 Maloney
- 22 Beausejour
- 02 Kone
- 09 Di Santo (Gomez 69)
- Tottenham 48%
- Wigan 52%
Attempts on target
- Tottenham 10
- Wigan 4
Attempts off target
- Tottenham 3
- Wigan 3
- Tottenham 9
- Wigan 3
- Tottenham 10
- Wigan 11
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+5:30 The referee signals the end of the game.
- 90:00+4:44 Jean Beausejour fouled by Emmanuel Adebayor, the ref awards a free kick. Ali Al Habsi restarts play with the free kick.
- 90:00+4:28 Arouna Kone is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Tom Huddlestone restarts play with the free kick.
- 90:00+3:37 Handball by Jordi Gomez. Brad Friedel takes the free kick.
- 90:00+2:17 Free kick awarded for a foul by Gary Caldwell on Clint Dempsey. Strike on goal comes in from Gareth Bale from the free kick.
- 90:00+1:51 Centre by Jordi Gomez, William Gallas manages to make a clearance.
- 90:00+1:21 The referee penalises Emmanuel Adebayor for handball. Ivan Ramis takes the free kick.
- 90:00+0:16 Unfair challenge on Shaun Maloney by Gylfi Sigurdsson results in a free kick. Ali Al Habsi takes the direct free kick.
- 89:02 The ball is crossed by Gylfi Sigurdsson, Gary Caldwell makes a clearance.
- 87:54 Gareth Bale takes a shot. Ali Al Habsi makes a save.
- 87:15 The official flags Arouna Kone offside. Steven Caulker takes the free kick.
- 86:27 The ball is crossed by Tom Carroll, Steven Caulker takes a shot. Save made by Ali Al Habsi.
- 85:52 Outswinging corner taken from the left by-line by Gareth Bale, clearance made by Gary Caldwell.
- 84:36 Gareth Bale delivers the ball, Ali Al Habsi makes a brilliant save.
- 82:59 Jan Vertonghen challenges Jordi Gomez unfairly and gives away a free kick. Maynor Figueroa has an effort direct from the free kick.
- 82:19 Gareth Bale crosses the ball, Ivan Ramis makes a clearance.
- 80:33 Gylfi Sigurdsson takes a shot. Gary Caldwell gets a block in.
- 79:58 Foul by Maynor Figueroa on Emmanuel Adebayor, free kick awarded. Tom Huddlestone crosses the ball in from the free kick, Gary Caldwell makes a clearance.
- 79:23 Jordi Gomez takes a inswinging corner from the right by-line to the near post, clearance made by Gareth Bale.
- 79:05 Jordi Gomez takes a shot. Blocked by Tom Huddlestone.
- 78:23 Substitution Kyle Walker goes off and Tom Carroll comes on.
- 75:13 Inswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Gareth Bale.
- 73:28 The offside flag is raised against Emmanuel Adebayor. Free kick taken by Ali Al Habsi.
- 72:27 Free kick awarded for a foul by Shaun Maloney on Clint Dempsey. Free kick crossed by Gareth Bale, clearance made by Ivan Ramis.
- 70:28 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Jordi Gomez by Tom Huddlestone. Free kick taken by James McCarthy.
- 68:43 Direct free kick taken by Ben Watson.
- 68:43 Substitution Jordi Gomez joins the action as a substitute, replacing Franco Di Santo.
- 68:43 Unfair challenge on Shaun Maloney by Tom Huddlestone results in a free kick.
- 67:43 Corner taken by Gareth Bale, Steven Caulker takes a shot. Clearance by Franco Di Santo.
- 67:34 A cross is delivered by Jan Vertonghen, Jean Beausejour makes a clearance.
- 66:32 The assistant referee signals for offside against Arouna Kone. Brad Friedel takes the free kick.
- 65:36 Gareth Bale takes a shot. Save by Ali Al Habsi.
- 63:15 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Jan Vertonghen by Ivan Ramis. Direct effort from the free kick comes in from Kyle Walker. Corner taken left-footed by Gareth Bale.
- 62:20 Kyle Walker crosses the ball, clearance by Ivan Ramis.
- 58:36 Jan Vertonghen takes a shot. Gary Caldwell gets a block in. Outswinging corner taken by Gareth Bale.
- 57:54 Jean Beausejour challenges Aaron Lennon unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick crossed left-footed by Gareth Bale, Gary Caldwell manages to make a clearance.
- 56:53 Substitution Jermain Defoe goes off and Emmanuel Adebayor comes on.
- 56:41 Foul by Ivan Ramis on Gareth Bale, free kick awarded. Direct free kick taken by Tom Huddlestone.
- 55:03 Shaun Maloney provided the assist for the goal.
- 55:03 GOAL - Ben Watson:Tottenham 0 - 1 Wigan Ben Watson fires in a goal from deep inside the penalty box to the bottom right corner of the goal. Tottenham 0-1 Wigan.
- 54:37 Corner taken right-footed by Shaun Maloney, Brad Friedel makes a save.
- 48:49 Direct free kick taken by Tom Huddlestone.
- 48:49 Booking Maynor Figueroa receives a caution.
- 48:42 Aaron Lennon fouled by Maynor Figueroa, the ref awards a free kick.
- 48:09 Clint Dempsey takes a shot. Save by Ali Al Habsi.
- 45:22 Ivan Ramis takes the free kick.
- 45:22 Booking Booking for Clint Dempsey.
- 45:07 Gylfi Sigurdsson gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on James McCarthy.
- 45:01 The match restarts for the second half.
- Half Time
- 45:00+2:13 The ref blows to end the first period.
- 45:00+0:19 Aaron Lennon is caught offside. Ali Al Habsi restarts play with the free kick.
- 44:22 The ball is crossed by Gareth Bale, save made by Ali Al Habsi.
- 43:40 Effort on goal by Ben Watson from just inside the penalty area goes over the target.
- 42:31 Maynor Figueroa produces a cross, save by Brad Friedel.
- 40:25 Free kick awarded for a foul by Jan Vertonghen on James McCarthy. Ivan Ramis takes the free kick.
- 39:49 Effort from a long way out by Ben Watson goes wide right of the target.
- 39:35 The ball is delivered by Jean Beausejour, William Gallas makes a clearance.
- 37:14 The ball is delivered by Gareth Bale, Steven Caulker takes a shot. Gary Caldwell makes a clearance. Gareth Bale decides to take the corner short. Header on goal by Jan Vertonghen from inside the box goes harmlessly over the target.
- 35:39 Maynor Figueroa concedes a free kick for a foul on Jermain Defoe. Free kick crossed left-footed by Gareth Bale from right wing, clearance by Ivan Ramis.
- 33:33 Shaun Maloney takes a shot. Blocked by Brad Friedel.
- 29:53 The ball is sent over by Aaron Lennon, clearance by Emmerson Boyce.
- 27:49 Arouna Kone takes a shot. Save by Brad Friedel. Corner taken left-footed by Jean Beausejour, clearance by Steven Caulker.
- 27:23 Free kick awarded for a foul by Gylfi Sigurdsson on Ben Watson. Gary Caldwell takes the direct free kick.
- 22:12 Gary Caldwell restarts play with the free kick.
- 22:12 Substitution Gylfi Sigurdsson joins the action as a substitute, replacing Raniere Sandro.
- 22:12 Kyle Walker challenges Maynor Figueroa unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 21:54 Centre by Franco Di Santo, clearance by Kyle Walker.
- 21:24 Jan Vertonghen takes a shot from 20 yards. Save made by Ali Al Habsi.
- 20:36 Corner from the left by-line taken by Gareth Bale, clearance by Ben Watson.
- 16:29 Gareth Bale is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Gary Caldwell restarts play with the free kick.
- 16:08 Centre by Gareth Bale, Jean Beausejour makes a clearance.
- 15:17 A cross is delivered by Aaron Lennon, clearance by Ivan Ramis.
- 14:23 Jean Beausejour challenges Raniere Sandro unfairly and gives away a free kick. Raniere Sandro takes the free kick.
- 13:17 Unfair challenge on Ben Watson by Jan Vertonghen results in a free kick. Ivan Ramis takes the free kick.
- 10:49 Corner taken right-footed by Tom Huddlestone to the near post, James McCarthy makes a clearance.
- 9:30 Kyle Walker produces a cross.
- 8:29 Shot from outside the area by Clint Dempsey misses to the left of the goal.
- 2:55 Emmerson Boyce challenges Gareth Bale unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Steven Caulker.
- 1:38 Outswinging corner taken right-footed by Tom Huddlestone played to the near post, clearance by James McCarthy.
- 0:57 Ben Watson challenges Clint Dempsey unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Tom Huddlestone.
- 0:00 The referee gets the game underway.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.