Club Bruges 2 - 2 Newcastle
Newcastle came back from two goals down to earn a point at Club Bruges and remain top of Europa League Group D.
Ivan Trickovski sent Tim Krul the wrong way with a low effort to open the scoring, before Jesper Jorgensen's weak shot from distance made it 2-0.
Newcastle responded before half-time with Vurnon Anita's superb volley before Shola Ameobi poked in an equaliser minutes later.
Yohan Cabaye's free-kick hit the bar but neither side could find a winner.
With Bordeaux beating Maritimo 1-0 in the other group game, the point keeps Newcastle firmly on course to reach the last 32. They are four points ahead of third-place Club Bruges with two games remaining.
For the first time in 60 years, two brothers started for Newcastle with Shola and Sammy Ameobi named in Alan Pardew's starting line-up - emulating George and Ted Robledo in 1952.
Shola Ameobi was to have a hand in the first-real chance of the game when the striker's smart back-heel put Gabriel Obertan clear, but the French winger's placed shot was too close to Club Bruges keeper Bojan Jorgacevic.
The hosts, looking to end a run of five successive defeats, always looked dangerous on the counter, and it was they who took the lead after 14 minutes.
A long ball from defence was expertly brought under control by Trickovski, who then slipped his way past Fabricio Coloccini and hit a low shot into the net, with Krul having committed himself the wrong way.
That was the first goal Newcastle had conceded in Europe this season, but it was to get even worse for Pardew's men in the 19th minute.
James Tavernier's clearing header went straight to Jorgensen on the edge of the area and the Danish midfielder's effort lacked power, but managed to creep into the far corner.
Newcastle attempted to respond, with Sylvain Marveaux failing to connect with the ball from a good position, before Shola Ameobi saw a header tipped over the bar by Jorgacevic.
It looked as though they were going to head into the break two goals down before they stunned Club Bruges with two goals in as many minutes.
Brothers in Bruges
Shola and Sammy Ameobi became the first brothers to start for Newcastle in 60 years against Club Bruges. Shola made his Newcastle debut against Chelsea in 2000, while Sammy made his debut last year, also against Chelsea
First, Anita struck a superb 41st-minute volley from outside the area for his first Newcastle goal since joining from Ajax, before the Ameobi brothers combined for the visitors's second as Sammy slipped a pass through for Shola and the striker poked the ball into the net.
Newcastle looked to pick up from where they had left off at the start of the second half, with Shola Ameobi twice heading over as the Belgians struggled to contain the striker.
The home side had their chances too, with Krul having to be alert to keep out a scrambled effort from Carlos Bacca before the Colombian rose unmarked to meet a cross but his header flew over the bar.
Cabaye was introduced in the 72nd minute and almost made an immediate impact, with his first contribution being a curled free-kick that bounced back off the crossbar.
The game continued to swing from one end to the other and Krul again prevented Club Bruges from snatching a winner when he pushed over a powerful header from substitute Mohamed Tchite.
The pace of the game lessened as it headed towards a close, although Club Bruges had to defend against a succession of Newcastle corners to ensure the game ended in a draw.
Live text and stats
Thursday, 8 November 2012
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 39 Jorgacevic
- 02 Hogli
- 03 Almeback yellow card
- 04 Hoefkens yellow card
- 18 Donk
- 22 Jordi
- 32 Odjidja-Ofoe (Lagrou 81)
- 10 Jorgensen
- 16 Lestienne
- 17 Trickovski (Tchite 46)
- 70 Bacca
- 33 Kujovic,
- 21 Buysse,
- 40 Engels,
- 41 Verstraete,
- 43 Lagrou,
- 07 Tchite,
- 09 Vleminckx
- 01 Krul
- 02 Coloccini
- 06 Williamson (S Taylor 58)
- 34 Tavernier
- 08 Anita
- 20 Bigirimana (Cabaye 72 yellow card)
- 22 Marveaux
- 24 Tiote yellow card
- 25 Obertan
- 23 Sh Ameobi
- 28 Sa Ameobi (Amalfitano 83)
- Club Bruges 54%
- Newcastle 46%
Attempts on target
- Club Bruges 7
- Newcastle 8
Attempts off target
- Club Bruges 8
- Newcastle 7
- Club Bruges 5
- Newcastle 6
- Club Bruges 9
- Newcastle 9
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+2:33 The game is over, as the referee blows his whistle.
- 90:00+1:27 Inswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Sylvain Marveaux.
- 90:00+0:47 Yohan Cabaye takes the inswinging corner, Ryan Donk makes a clearance.
- 88:57 Sylvain Marveaux challenges Tom Hogli unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Bojan Jorgacevic.
- 86:53 Maxime Lestienne delivers the ball, Jesper Jorgensen produces a right-footed shot from inside the area that goes over the bar.
- 86:53 Booking The referee books Yohan Cabaye for unsporting behaviour.
- 86:47 Foul by Yohan Cabaye on Maxime Lestienne, free kick awarded.
- 85:33 Inswinging corner taken left-footed by Sylvain Marveaux from the right by-line to the near post.
- 84:30 Foul by Shola Ameobi on Figueras Jordi, free kick awarded. Bojan Jorgacevic restarts play with the free kick.
- 81:57 Bojan Jorgacevic restarts play with the free kick.
- 81:57 Substitution Sammy Ameobi leaves the field to be replaced by Romain Amalfitano.
- 81:57 The referee blows for offside against Gabriel Obertan.
- 80:18 Substitution Nathaniel Lagrou joins the action as a substitute, replacing Vadis Odjija Ofoe.
- 79:12 Mohamed Tchite takes a shot.
- 77:41 Vadis Odjija Ofoe has an effort at goal from outside the penalty area which goes wide right of the goal.
- 75:54 Vadis Odjija Ofoe takes a shot. Save made by Tim Krul. Outswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Vadis Odjija Ofoe, clearance made by Yohan Cabaye.
- 74:24 Mohamed Tchite takes a shot. Save by Tim Krul. Vadis Odjija Ofoe takes the inswinging corner, Tim Krul makes a save.
- 72:20 Shot on goal comes in from Yohan Cabaye from the free kick, Sylvain Marveaux produces a left-footed shot from deep inside the penalty box which goes wide of the left-hand upright.
- 72:20 Booking Carl Hoefkens goes into the book.
- 72:12 Carl Hoefkens challenges Sammy Ameobi unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 71:23 Substitution (Newcastle) makes a substitution, with Yohan Cabaye coming on for Gael Bigirimana.
- 70:20 The offside flag is raised against Mohamed Tchite. Free kick taken by Tim Krul.
- 68:10 Jesper Jorgensen challenges Fabricio Coloccini unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Tim Krul.
- 65:56 Ryan Donk challenges Sammy Ameobi unfairly and gives away a free kick. Direct free kick taken by James Tavernier.
- 64:01 Close range header by Carlos Bacca goes over the crossbar.
- 61:32 The referee gives a free kick against Mohamed Tchite for handball. Direct free kick taken by Vurnon Anita.
- 60:53 Carlos Bacca takes a shot. Save made by Tim Krul. Outswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Maxime Lestienne, clearance by Gael Bigirimana.
- 59:51 Sammy Ameobi takes a shot. Save made by Bojan Jorgacevic.
- 58:55 Effort on goal by Sylvain Marveaux from just inside the area clears the bar.
- 57:38 Substitution Steven Taylor replaces Mike Williamson.
- 55:43 Mohamed Tchite takes a shot. Save by Tim Krul.
- 53:57 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Cheick Tiote by Carlos Bacca. Free kick crossed by Sylvain Marveaux.
- 52:48 Shola Ameobi gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Figueras Jordi. Figueras Jordi takes the free kick.
- 52:09 Outswinging corner taken by Sylvain Marveaux, Michael Almeback manages to make a clearance.
- 51:45 Shola Ameobi takes a shot. Save by Bojan Jorgacevic.
- 50:30 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Carl Hoefkens by Sammy Ameobi. Direct free kick taken by Jesper Jorgensen.
- 49:30 Corner taken by Sylvain Marveaux from the right by-line, Header from deep inside the area by Shola Ameobi goes over the bar.
- 48:43 Corner taken by Maxime Lestienne, Carl Hoefkens has a headed effort from close range and clears the bar.
- 48:08 Inswinging corner taken by Maxime Lestienne, clearance by Mike Williamson.
- 47:38 Shola Ameobi takes a shot. Bojan Jorgacevic makes a comfortable save.
- 46:46 Sylvain Marveaux crosses the ball in from the free kick, clearance made by Figueras Jordi.
- 46:46 Booking Michael Almeback receives a yellow card for unsporting behaviour.
- 46:34 James Tavernier fouled by Michael Almeback, the ref awards a free kick.
- 45:01 The referee starts the second half.
- 45:01 Substitution Mohamed Tchite replaces Ivan Trickovski.
- Half Time
- 45:00+0:06 The ref blows to end the first period.
- 44:35 Carl Hoefkens takes a shot.
- 42:38 The assist for the goal came from Sammy Ameobi.
- 42:38 GOAL - Shola Ameobi:Club Bruges 2 - 2 Newcastle Shola Ameobi finds the net with a goal from inside the six-yard box to the bottom left corner of the goal. Club Brugge 2-2 Newcastle.
- 40:34 GOAL - Vurnon Anita:Club Bruges 2 - 1 Newcastle Vurnon Anita finds the back of the net with a goal from outside the area to the bottom left corner of the goal. Club Brugge 2-1 Newcastle.
- 36:32 Vadis Odjija Ofoe restarts play with the free kick.
- 36:32 Booking Booking for Cheick Tiote for unsporting behaviour.
- 36:17 Cheick Tiote gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Ivan Trickovski.
- 34:26 Shola Ameobi takes a shot.
- 33:11 The ball is crossed by Maxime Lestienne.
- 29:39 Shola Ameobi takes a shot. Bojan Jorgacevic makes a save. Corner taken left-footed by Sylvain Marveaux from the left by-line, Mike Williamson takes a shot.
- 27:58 Free kick awarded for a foul by Shola Ameobi on Vadis Odjija Ofoe. Figueras Jordi takes the direct free kick.
- 25:51 Shola Ameobi is adjudged to have handled the ball. Direct free kick taken by Bojan Jorgacevic.
- 24:59 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Ivan Trickovski by James Tavernier. Bojan Jorgacevic takes the free kick.
- 22:57 Centre by Gabriel Obertan.
- 21:42 Carlos Bacca takes a shot. Save by Tim Krul.
- 20:11 James Tavernier fouled by Ivan Trickovski, the ref awards a free kick. The free kick is swung in left-footed by Sylvain Marveaux, Carl Hoefkens makes a clearance.
- 19:17 Cheick Tiote takes a shot. Save by Bojan Jorgacevic.
- 18:04 GOAL - Jesper Jorgensen:Club Bruges 2 - 0 Newcastle Goal scored by Jesper Jorgensen from outside the penalty box to the bottom left corner of the goal. Club Brugge 2-0 Newcastle.
- 16:44 Shola Ameobi challenges Michael Almeback unfairly and gives away a free kick. Bojan Jorgacevic restarts play with the free kick.
- 15:08 Vurnon Anita is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Free kick taken by Bojan Jorgacevic.
- 13:22 Assist on the goal came from Ryan Donk.
- 13:22 GOAL - Ivan Trickovski:Club Bruges 1 - 0 Newcastle A goal is scored by Ivan Trickovski from inside the box to the bottom right corner of the goal. Club Brugge 1-0 Newcastle.
- 12:23 Michael Almeback challenges Shola Ameobi unfairly and gives away a free kick. Fabricio Coloccini takes the free kick.
- 11:52 Gabriel Obertan has a curled shot. Bojan Jorgacevic makes a save.
- 11:03 Ryan Donk has an effort at goal from outside the penalty box which goes wide right of the target.
- 9:44 Unfair challenge on Shola Ameobi by Carl Hoefkens results in a free kick. Sylvain Marveaux crosses the ball from the free kick left-footed from left wing, clearance by Tom Hogli.
- 5:49 Free kick awarded for a foul by Michael Almeback on Sammy Ameobi. Free kick taken by Vurnon Anita.
- 3:19 Shot from just outside the box by Carlos Bacca misses to the right of the target.
- 2:18 Gabriel Obertan has an effort at goal from outside the penalty box missing to the wide left of the goal.
- 0:13 The assistant referee signals for offside against Carlos Bacca. Free kick taken by Mike Williamson.
- 0:00 The referee gets the game underway.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.