Wigan 1 - 2 West Brom
West Brom maintained their excellent start under manager Steve Clarke with a deserved win at Wigan, keeping them fifth in the Premier League.
James Morrison headed the Baggies ahead from Chris Brunt's cross before Gary Caldwell deflected Billy Jones' effort into his own net.
Wigan reduced the deficit through Arouna Kone's close-range finish.
But the Baggies deserved the points, Ali Al Habsi only denying Romelu Lukaku a third goal with a stunning save.
This was West Brom's first away win under Clarke.
But on this evidence, former Baggies manager Roberto Di Matteo could be in for an uncomfortable return when his Chelsea side visit The Hawthorns next Saturday.
West Brom are flourishing under Clarke, whose bold tactical switches are paying off.
Peter Odemwingie scored both goals in his side's 2-0 win over Southampton at the start of the week, yet the Nigerian international found himself on the bench at the DW Stadium as Clarke switched to a 4-4-2 formation.
Despite Odemwingie's omission, West Brom raced into a 2-0 lead as the Latics failed to carry on from where they left off at White Hart Lane seven days earlier.
"The fourth official indicated five minutes of stoppage time but I don't think Wigan, who started brightly before fading, would have equalised had double that amount of time been shown. West Brom were good value for their first away win under Steve Clarke, who has got them well organised and hard to beat."
Having frustrated Tottenham with a strong defensive performance during a 1-0 win in north London, Wigan conceded two sloppy goals in the space of 12 first-half minutes.
They fell behind against the run of play when the unmarked Morrison powered home Brunt's excellent 31st-minute cross from six yards out.
The hosts then allowed Billy Jones to burst into the penalty area and the defender's shot took a heavy deflection off Gary Caldwell into the net two minutes before half-time.
Kone did pull a goal back for Wigan a minute before half-time, Jean Beausejour's impressive low cross finding the Ivory Coast striker unmarked inside the six-yard area.
But the hosts, who started brightly and faded badly, failed to test Boaz Myhill enough in what was the Wales keeper's first competitive outing since conceding six against Serbia in a World Cup qualifier in September.
Indeed it was his opposite number Al Habsi who was the busier of the two keepers, the Oman international producing a terrific stop to tip Lukaku's attempt from 12 yards over the bar in the second half.
Wigan manager Roberto Martinez:
"I don't think we are the sort of side that can get a result out of a scrappy performance.
"We know West Brom are a very strong unit and play with real confidence and are a difficult unit to break down, so to concede two goals early on was really disappointing.
"We are frustrated with our performance."
Baggies' away-day goal feast
West Brom required five hours and 25 minutes to score their first three away goals in the Premier League this season. At Wigan, they found the net twice in 12 first-half minutes.
West Brom manager Steve Clarke:
"This week we're happy with where we are. I know it sounds boring, but we just have to keep working from game to game.
"I remember once as a player I was top of the league in November and ended up fighting relegation. The top division in England can come back quickly to bite you if you take your focus off it.
"Our away performances have been as good as our home performances so this is long overdue."
Live text and stats
Saturday, 10 November 2012
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 26 Al Habsi
- 05 Caldwell (Stam 64)
- 17 Boyce
- 21 Ramis
- 31 Figueroa
- 04 McCarthy yellow card
- 08 Watson (Gomez 85)
- 10 Maloney
- 22 Beausejour
- 02 Kone
- 09 Di Santo (Boselli 85)
- 13 Myhill
- 03 Olsson
- 06 Ridgewell
- 23 McAuley
- 28 Jones yellow card
- 05 Yacob yellow card
- 07 Morrison (Gera 68 yellow card)
- 11 Brunt
- 21 Mulumbu
- 09 Long (Odemwingie 68)
- 20 Lukaku yellow card (Rosenberg 86)
- Wigan 56%
- West Brom 44%
Attempts on target
- Wigan 6
- West Brom 4
Attempts off target
- Wigan 8
- West Brom 3
- Wigan 5
- West Brom 8
- Wigan 9
- West Brom 13
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+5:33 The referee blows for the end of the match.
- 90:00+5:00 The assistant referee flags for offside against Jean Beausejour. Indirect free kick taken by Boaz Myhill.
- 90:00+3:35 Youssouf Mulumbu produces a right-footed shot from just outside the box that misses to the right of the target.
- 90:00+2:46 Effort on goal by Maynor Figueroa from outside the area goes harmlessly over the bar.
- 90:00+2:05 Free kick taken by Jordi Gomez.
- 90:00+2:05 Booking Zoltan Gera goes into the referee's book for unsporting behaviour.
- 90:00+2:01 Unfair challenge on Ronnie Stam by Zoltan Gera results in a free kick.
- 90:00+0:32 Markus Rosenberg challenges Ronnie Stam unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Ivan Ramis.
- 86:41 Ronnie Stam concedes a free kick for a foul on Markus Rosenberg. Free kick taken by Claudio Yacob.
- 85:48 Substitution Markus Rosenberg on for Romelu Lukaku.
- 84:40 Corner from right by-line taken by Shaun Maloney.
- 84:40 Substitution Franco Di Santo leaves the field to be replaced by Mauro Boselli.
- 84:40 Substitution (Wigan) makes a substitution, with Jordi Gomez coming on for Ben Watson.
- 82:18 James McCarthy handles the ball and concedes a free kick. Boaz Myhill takes the direct free kick.
- 80:25 The ball is delivered by Jean Beausejour, Franco Di Santo has a header from close in and clears the crossbar. Franco Di Santo challenges Liam Ridgewell unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Jonas Olsson.
- 77:31 Free kick taken by Boaz Myhill. Chris Brunt takes the inswinging corner, clearance made by Franco Di Santo.
- 77:31 Booking The referee shows James McCarthy a yellow card.
- 76:39 Ben Watson restarts play with the free kick.
- 76:39 Booking Billy Jones is cautioned.
- 76:31 Foul by Billy Jones on Ben Watson, free kick awarded.
- 74:33 A cross is delivered by Romelu Lukaku, clearance made by Maynor Figueroa.
- 74:05 Franco Di Santo produces a cross, save made by Boaz Myhill.
- 71:33 Effort on goal by Shaun Maloney from just inside the penalty area goes harmlessly over the target.
- 70:05 Booking The referee shows Romelu Lukaku a yellow card for dissent.
- 69:21 Billy Jones fouled by Jean Beausejour, the ref awards a free kick. Boaz Myhill takes the direct free kick.
- 67:21 Substitution Shane Long goes off and Peter Odemwingie comes on.
- 67:21 Substitution Zoltan Gera on for James Morrison.
- 65:11 Romelu Lukaku takes a shot. Ali Al Habsi makes a comfortable save.
- 64:51 The ball is delivered by Maynor Figueroa, save by Boaz Myhill.
- 63:44 Substitution Gary Caldwell goes off and Ronnie Stam comes on.
- 61:44 Liam Ridgewell takes a shot from just inside the penalty box which clears the crossbar.
- 60:39 Corner taken right-footed by James Morrison from the left by-line, James McCarthy makes a clearance.
- 59:50 Shane Long takes a shot. Save made by Ali Al Habsi.
- 59:10 The ball is sent over by Liam Ridgewell, clearance by Franco Di Santo.
- 57:25 Effort from the edge of the penalty box by Arouna Kone goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 55:32 Romelu Lukaku takes a shot. Ali Al Habsi makes a save. Corner from the left by-line taken by James Morrison, clearance made by Gary Caldwell. Inswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Chris Brunt.
- 54:34 The ball is crossed by Liam Ridgewell, Maynor Figueroa makes a clearance.
- 53:52 Foul by Ben Watson on James Morrison, free kick awarded. Claudio Yacob takes the direct free kick.
- 51:51 Corner taken by Ben Watson, Headed effort from deep inside the area by Gary Caldwell misses to the left of the goal.
- 51:29 James McCarthy takes a shot. Gareth McAuley gets a block in.
- 49:53 The assistant referee flags for offside against Shane Long. Free kick taken by Gary Caldwell.
- 48:55 Ben Watson takes a shot. Boaz Myhill makes a save. Shot from deep inside the area by Jean Beausejour goes over the bar.
- 48:23 The referee blows for offside. Indirect free kick taken by Gary Caldwell.
- Correction - 46:59 Jean Beausejour takes the direct free kick.
- Correction - 46:59 Booking Booking for Claudio Yacob for unsporting behaviour.
- 46:59 Jean Beausejour restarts play with the free kick.
- 46:59 Booking The referee books Claudio Yacob for dissent.
- Correction - 46:48 Unfair challenge on Shaun Maloney by Youssouf Mulumbu results in a free kick.
- 46:48 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Shaun Maloney by Youssouf Mulumbu.
- 45:29 Foul by Billy Jones on Jean Beausejour, free kick awarded. Ben Watson takes the free kick.
- 45:01 The game restarts for the second half.
- Half Time
- 45:00+2:22 The half-time whistle blows.
- Correction - 45:00+1:50 Foul by Claudio Yacob on Arouna Kone, free kick awarded. Ivan Ramis takes the free kick.
- 45:00+1:50 Unfair challenge on Arouna Kone by Liam Ridgewell results in a free kick. Free kick taken by Ivan Ramis.
- 45:00+1:18 Romelu Lukaku concedes a free kick for a foul on James McCarthy. Free kick taken by Ben Watson.
- 45:00+0:54 Youssouf Mulumbu challenges Ben Watson unfairly and gives away a free kick. James McCarthy restarts play with the free kick.
- Correction - 45:00+0:31 Gary Caldwell takes the free kick. The official flags Romelu Lukaku offside.
- Correction - 43:29 The assist for the goal came from Jean Beausejour.
- 43:29 Jean Beausejour provided the assist for the goal.
- 43:29 GOAL - Arouna Kone:Wigan 1 - 2 West Brom Arouna Kone scores a goal from inside the six-yard box to the bottom right corner of the goal. Wigan 1-2 West Brom.
- Correction - 43:27 Centre by Jean Beausejour,
- 43:27 The ball is delivered by Jean Beausejour,
- 42:19 Assist by Billy Jones.
- 42:19 GOAL - Gary Caldwell:Wigan 0 - 2 West Brom Gary Caldwell puts the ball into his own goal. Wigan 0-2 West Brom.
- 39:14 Free kick awarded for a foul by Ivan Ramis on Shane Long. Liam Ridgewell restarts play with the free kick.
- 37:59 Chris Brunt sends in a cross, Gary Caldwell makes a clearance.
- 37:15 Franco Di Santo fouled by Jonas Olsson, the ref awards a free kick. Ivan Ramis takes the direct free kick.
- 36:32 Billy Jones has an effort at goal from outside the box which goes wide right of the goal.
- 33:29 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Ivan Ramis by Shane Long. Ivan Ramis takes the direct free kick.
- 32:30 Ivan Ramis gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Shane Long. Liam Ridgewell takes the direct free kick.
- 30:32 Assist by Chris Brunt.
- 30:32 GOAL - James Morrison:Wigan 0 - 1 West Brom James Morrison scores a headed goal from close range. Wigan 0-1 West Brom.
- 30:30 The ball is crossed by Chris Brunt,
- 29:28 Corner taken right-footed by James Morrison, save by Ali Al Habsi.
- 28:40 Franco Di Santo fouled by Youssouf Mulumbu, the ref awards a free kick. Jean Beausejour takes the free kick.
- 25:23 Unfair challenge on Franco Di Santo by Claudio Yacob results in a free kick. Strike on goal comes in from Shaun Maloney from the free kick.
- 22:05 Jean Beausejour takes the outswinging corner, clearance made by Shane Long.
- 21:04 Arouna Kone produces a cross.
- 19:03 Corner from right by-line taken by Chris Brunt.
- 15:53 Free kick awarded for a foul by Arouna Kone on Jonas Olsson. Direct free kick taken by Jonas Olsson.
- 14:38 Inswinging corner taken by Chris Brunt.
- 13:28 Chris Brunt takes a inswinging corner from the right by-line played to the near post, James McCarthy manages to make a clearance.
- 13:11 Jean Beausejour is penalised for handball and concedes a free kick. James Morrison takes the free kick.
- 11:59 Outswinging corner taken right-footed by Shaun Maloney from the right by-line.
- 11:42 The ball is crossed by Shaun Maloney.
- 10:46 Emmerson Boyce challenges Liam Ridgewell unfairly and gives away a free kick. Chris Brunt takes the direct free kick.
- 10:26 Ben Watson takes a shot. Save made by Boaz Myhill.
- 8:31 Ben Watson takes a shot. Save made by Boaz Myhill. Outswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Shaun Maloney, Liam Ridgewell makes a clearance.
- 6:51 James McCarthy has an effort from just inside the box that misses to the left of the target.
- 5:48 Franco Di Santo gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Liam Ridgewell. Direct free kick taken by Boaz Myhill.
- 4:51 Effort from outside the penalty box by Maynor Figueroa goes wide right of the target.
- 3:51 Claudio Yacob gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Franco Di Santo. Ben Watson restarts play with the free kick.
- 1:33 A cross is delivered by Emmerson Boyce, clearance by Jonas Olsson.
- 0:00 The referee gets the game underway.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.