Hibernian 2 - 1 Dundee Utd
Hibernian moved back to the top of the Scottish Premier League after their first victory over Dundee United in seven attempts.
Leigh Griffiths opened the scoring with a fine volley from Eoin Doyle's deep cross.
And Doyle converted a Paul Cairney cutback to double the home side's lead.
Gary Mackay-Steven took advantage of a mix-up in the Hibs defence to bring the visitors back into the game, but they couldn't find a leveller.
Hibs were handed the first opportunity when United keeper Radoslav Cierzniak handled a passback under pressure from Griffiths inside the box.
However, as is often the case in these situations, the shot from Griffiths was charged down by a wall which moved before the ball was struck and the chance was gone.
Griffiths made no mistake next time though, as he met a cross from Doyle with a fine right-footed volley to score his 12th goal of the season.
The two almost combined to double Hibs' advantage as Griffiths chipped forward with the ball coming off the head of Gavin Gunning on its way through to Doyle, who slotted the ball into the net only to be flagged offside.
United were struggling to find a way through a Hibs midfield which pressed high up the field when out of possession, and manager Peter Houston brought on Mackay-Steven for Mark Millar after only half-an-hour.
The switch did bring more possession for the Taysiders, but they still found a cutting edge hard to come by as the first half petered out.
And Hibs stretched their lead just after the break when Cairney dribbled infield from the left wing and cut the ball back to Doyle, who lashed the ball into the roof of the net.
However, a bad mistake from Hibs keeper Ben Williams handed United a lifeline.
Paul Hanlon was slow with a passback and the keeper compounded the problem by misfiring a clearance straight to Mackay-Steven, who stroked the ball into an empty net.
The Hibs fans were silenced as the visitors enjoyed their best spell of the game but they found their voice again as former Hearts striker Rudi Skacel came on for the visitors.
The Czech headed into the net from an accurate Willo Flood cross but he was adjudged to be offside, much to the delight of the home fans.
United were on top as the game entered its final stages and Skacel's wonderful 25-yard left-footed volley cannoned back off the crossbar with Williams left helpless.
Gunning went close with a free header from a Flood free-kick and Skacel also fired wide from a good position as Hibs held on.
Live text and stats
Sunday, 11 November 2012
Scottish Premier League
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Williams
- 03 McGivern
- 04 Hanlon
- 18 Maybury
- 20 Taiwo
- 08 Claros
- 11 Cairney yellow card
- 14 Wotherspoon (Sproule 79)
- 16 Stevenson
- 09 Griffiths (Kuqi 76)
- 10 Doyle (Stanton 89)
- 31 Murdoch,
- 17 Sproule,
- 26 Stanton,
- 36 Donaldson,
- 24 Handling,
- 29 Caldwell,
- 32 Kuqi
- 01 Cierzniak
- 02 Dillon
- 04 McLean
- 05 Gunning
- 12 Watson
- 06 Flood yellow card
- 08 Rankin
- 14 Millar (Mackay-Steven 33)
- 16 Armstrong (Skacel 58)
- 07 Russell
- 09 Daly
- 13 Banks,
- 03 Douglas,
- 10 Ryan,
- 11 Mackay-Steven,
- 51 Skacel,
- 15 Gardyne,
- 18 Dow
- Hibernian 46%
- Dundee Utd 54%
Attempts on target
- Hibernian 5
- Dundee Utd 4
Attempts off target
- Hibernian 3
- Dundee Utd 5
- Hibernian 8
- Dundee Utd 7
- Hibernian 11
- Dundee Utd 10
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+4:31 The referee blows his whistle to end the game.
- 90:00+4:07 Free kick taken by Ben Williams.
- Correction - 90:00+3:24 Keith Watson challenges Ryan McGivern unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Ben Williams.
- 90:00+3:24 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Ryan McGivern by Keith Watson.
- 90:00+2:54 Paul Hanlon challenges Jon Daly unfairly and gives away a free kick. The free kick is delivered right-footed by Willo Flood from left channel, save by Ben Williams.
- 90:00+1:41 Shefki Kuqi gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Gavin Gunning. Sean Dillon takes the free kick.
- 90:00+0:21 Booking Paul Cairney is shown a yellow card for dissent.
- 89:48 Short corner taken by Paul Cairney.
- 88:32 Direct free kick taken by Radoslaw Cierzniak.
- 88:32 Substitution Eoin Doyle goes off and Sam Stanton comes on.
- 88:32 Shefki Kuqi concedes a free kick for a foul on Gavin Gunning.
- 87:21 Rudi Skacel has shot on goal from just outside the box which goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 87:06 Centre by Gary Mackay-Steven, Alan Maybury makes a clearance.
- 86:03 Centre by Brian McLean, clearance by Ryan McGivern.
- 84:46 Corner taken right-footed by Willo Flood from the right by-line, Gavin Gunning takes a shot. Comfortable save by Ben Williams.
- 84:33 Rudi Skacel has an effort at goal. Ryan McGivern gets a block in.
- 83:02 Corner taken by Paul Cairney from the left by-line.
- 81:57 Ivan Sproule has an effort at goal from deep inside the area missing to the left of the goal.
- 81:17 Outswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Willo Flood, Shefki Kuqi manages to make a clearance.
- 80:22 Unfair challenge on Gary Mackay-Steven by Ivan Sproule results in a free kick. Willo Flood crosses the ball in from the free kick, save by Ben Williams.
- 78:43 Direct free kick taken by Ben Williams.
- 78:43 Substitution Ivan Sproule joins the action as a substitute, replacing David Wotherspoon.
- 78:43 Foul by Rudi Skacel on Jorge Claros, free kick awarded.
- Correction - 77:36 Shot from 20 yards by Rudi Skacel.
- 77:36 Rudi Skacel takes a shot.
- 76:58 Willo Flood takes a inswinging corner to the near post.
- 75:11 Outswinging corner taken right-footed by Willo Flood from the right by-line, clearance by Eoin Doyle.
- 75:11 Substitution Leigh Griffiths goes off and Shefki Kuqi comes on.
- 74:25 Gary Mackay-Steven takes a shot. Paul Hanlon gets a block in.
- 73:39 Tom Taiwo produces a right-footed shot from just outside the penalty box that goes wide left of the target.
- 73:06 Lewis Stevenson fouled by Jon Daly, the ref awards a free kick. Ryan McGivern restarts play with the free kick.
- 72:22 Rudi Skacel is ruled offside. Indirect free kick taken by Ben Williams.
- 71:27 Keith Watson delivers the ball, Paul Hanlon manages to make a clearance.
- 70:52 Free kick awarded for a foul by Jorge Claros on John Rankin. Direct free kick taken by Willo Flood.
- 68:37 Corner taken by Leigh Griffiths, clearance made by Brian McLean.
- 68:08 The ball is swung over by Willo Flood, Paul Hanlon makes a clearance.
- 66:20 Keith Watson crosses the ball, Ben Williams makes a comfortable save.
- 65:10 Corner taken right-footed by David Wotherspoon to the near post, clearance made by Johnny Russell.
- 63:29 Jorge Claros concedes a free kick for a foul on John Rankin. The free kick is swung in right-footed by Willo Flood.
- 62:57 The assistant referee flags for offside against Leigh Griffiths. Radoslaw Cierzniak restarts play with the free kick.
- 61:57 Corner from the left by-line taken by David Wotherspoon, clearance by Jon Daly.
- 59:49 Paul Hanlon challenges Johnny Russell unfairly and gives away a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Willo Flood.
- 58:43 Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Willo Flood, Keith Watson has a header from close in and clears the crossbar.
- 57:50 Substitution Rudi Skacel on for Stuart Armstrong.
- 56:43 Brian McLean sends in a cross, save made by Ben Williams.
- 54:25 Free kick awarded for a foul by Gavin Gunning on Leigh Griffiths. Leigh Griffiths delivers the ball from the free kick left-footed from right wing, Radoslaw Cierzniak makes a comfortable save.
- 52:50 GOAL - Gary Mackay-Steven:Hibernian 2 - 1 Dundee Utd Gary Mackay-Steven finds the back of the net with a goal from just outside the area to the bottom left corner of the goal. Hibernian 2-1 Dundee Utd.
- 50:38 The assist for the goal came from Paul Cairney.
- 50:38 GOAL - Eoin Doyle:Hibernian 2 - 0 Dundee Utd Eoin Doyle fires in a goal from deep inside the penalty box to the top right corner of the goal. Hibernian 2-0 Dundee Utd.
- 47:19 Foul by Gavin Gunning on Leigh Griffiths, free kick awarded. Free kick crossed left-footed by Leigh Griffiths from right channel.
- 46:17 Corner taken by Willo Flood played to the near post, Lewis Stevenson manages to make a clearance.
- 45:01 The referee gets the second half started.
- Half Time
- 45:00+1:03 The half-time whistle blows.
- Correction - 44:58 Jon Daly has an effort at goal from deep inside the area missing to the left of the target.
- 44:58 Jon Daly produces a right-footed shot from deep inside the penalty box which goes wide of the left-hand post.
- 43:53 The ball is sent over by Ryan McGivern.
- 40:18 Inswinging corner taken by Willo Flood from the left by-line, save made by Ben Williams.
- 38:00 Effort from 20 yards by Jorge Claros. Radoslaw Cierzniak makes a comfortable save.
- Correction - 37:23 Eoin Doyle fouled by Stuart Armstrong, the ref awards a free kick. Paul Hanlon restarts play with the free kick.
- 37:23 Stuart Armstrong concedes a free kick for a foul on Eoin Doyle. Free kick taken by Ben Williams.
- 36:25 Alan Maybury gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Gary Mackay-Steven. Gavin Gunning takes the free kick.
- 34:02 Ben Williams takes the direct free kick.
- 34:02 Booking Willo Flood is given a yellow card.
- 33:55 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Jorge Claros by Willo Flood.
- 32:39 Substitution Mark Millar goes off and Gary Mackay-Steven comes on.
- 31:41 Foul by Ryan McGivern on Johnny Russell, free kick awarded. Gavin Gunning has a direct shot on goal from the free kick.
- 30:09 The assistant referee flags for offside against David Wotherspoon. Radoslaw Cierzniak takes the indirect free kick.
- 29:42 Leigh Griffiths takes a inswinging corner from the right by-line played to the near post, Keith Watson manages to make a clearance.
- 28:18 Shot from just outside the box by Alan Maybury goes over the crossbar.
- 27:41 Corner taken left-footed by Leigh Griffiths to the near post, clearance made by Keith Watson.
- 26:14 The offside flag is raised against Eoin Doyle. Radoslaw Cierzniak restarts play with the free kick.
- 25:49 Brian McLean produces a cross, Paul Hanlon manages to make a clearance.
- 25:43 Willo Flood sends in a cross.
- 24:36 The ball is swung over by Alan Maybury, comfortable save by Radoslaw Cierzniak.
- 24:02 The ball is crossed by Alan Maybury, clearance made by Sean Dillon.
- 21:46 The official flags Leigh Griffiths offside. Radoslaw Cierzniak takes the indirect free kick.
- 18:06 Assist by Eoin Doyle.
- 18:06 GOAL - Leigh Griffiths:Hibernian 1 - 0 Dundee Utd A goal is scored by Leigh Griffiths from close in to the top right corner of the goal. Hibernian 1-0 Dundee Utd.
- 17:15 A cross is delivered by Brian McLean.
- 15:29 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Leigh Griffiths by Sean Dillon. Strike on goal comes in from Leigh Griffiths from the free kick, save by Radoslaw Cierzniak.
- 13:46 Jorge Claros gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Mark Millar. Gavin Gunning takes the direct free kick.
- 9:12 Unfair challenge on Johnny Russell by Ryan McGivern results in a free kick. Gavin Gunning takes the free kick.
- 7:22 David Wotherspoon fouled by Gavin Gunning, the ref awards a free kick. Tom Taiwo takes the direct free kick.
- 6:56 Paul Cairney fouled by Willo Flood, the ref awards a free kick. Tom Taiwo takes the direct free kick.
- 5:48 Inswinging corner taken left-footed by Leigh Griffiths, John Rankin manages to make a clearance.
- 5:11 Leigh Griffiths produces a drilled left-footed shot from 12 yards. Sean Dillon gets a block in.
- 4:22 Paul Cairney restarts play with the free kick.
- 0:00 The game gets underway.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.