Newcastle 1 - 2 Swansea
Michu and Jonathan de Guzman were on target as Swansea secured their second away victory of the season and their first win over Newcastle in 32 years.
Pablo Hernandez capitalised on home goalkeeper Tim Krul's poor clearance on 58 minutes to set up Michu's opener.
With three minutes remaining, De Guzman doubled Swansea's lead from close range after Krul denied Danny Graham.
Demba Ba's stoppage-time header proved little consolation for Newcastle, who lost their second successive home game.
Newcastle were dealt a blow before kick-off with Senegal invoking Fifa's five-day rule to prevent striker Papiss Cisse from playing, and replacement Sammy Ameobi was one of three changes to the home side's line-up.
For Swansea, on-loan striker Itay Shechter was given a first Premier League start in place of the injured Ki Sung-Yueng while Nathan Dyer was preferred to former Newcastle player Wayne Routledge.
Dyer, who scored last week at Southampton, found himself through on goal early on after being played in by Shechter but under pressure from Steven Taylor the winger shot harmlessly wide.
Both sides showed plenty of promise during a lively opening at St James' Park with Hernandez firing straight at home keeper Tim Krul before Newcastle's Hatem Ben Arfa slammed a shot into the side-netting after linking up well with Danny Simpson.
Krul made a low save to parry Michu's effort from outside the area, while at the other end captain Taylor headed over the crossbar from Vurnon Anita's corner.
The home side were beginning to force their way into the game and from Ben Arfa's excellent delivery from the right, Demba Ba got in between Ashley Williams and Garry Monk but glanced a header wide from 10 yards.
Ben Arfa was seeing plenty of the ball and the France international tricked his way past two players on the edge of the area before curling in a dipping effort that forced Gerhard Tremmel into a fine one-handed save.
But Swansea were looking impressive on the counter-attack and Shechter capitalised on hesitation in the Newcastle defence to force a save from Krul before Michu dragged his shot wide as the half ended goalless.
The hosts began the second half brightly with the Ameobi brothers - Sammy and half-time substitute Shola - combining to tee up Anita, who fired over from 25 yards, while Ba also had two chances in quick succession.
Having survived those scares, Swansea responded on the counter-attack and Shechter should have done better when he received the ball from Hernandez and fired wide from 15 yards. Krul also had to turn a Hernandez shot around the post.
But the visitors did not have to wait too long for the game's opening goal and it was the Newcastle keeper who was to blame.
Krul's poor clearance from Mike Williamson's back pass fell to Hernandez, whose cross from the left found the advancing Michu to head home his eighth goal of the season.
Rather than sit back Swansea continued to push forward and Michu should have added a second but the Spaniard scuffed his shot from close range following Hernandez's cross.
Swansea wrapped up the victory three minutes from time when Krul could only parry substitute Graham's shot and De Guzman netted the rebound.
Ba's stoppage-time header, after substitute Sylvain Marveaux had struck the bar, was little consolation for Alan Pardew's side, who have now won only one of their last 10 league games.
Live text and stats
Saturday, 17 November 2012
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Krul
- 03 Santon yellow card
- 05 Simpson (Bigirimana 74)
- 06 Williamson
- 27 S Taylor
- 31 Ferguson (Sh Ameobi 46)
- 08 Anita
- 10 Ben Arfa
- 24 Tiote
- 19 Ba
- 28 Sa Ameobi (Marveaux 79)
- 25 Tremmel
- 06 Williams
- 16 Monk
- 22 Rangel yellow card
- 33 Davies
- 07 Britton yellow card
- 09 Michu (Graham 82)
- 11 Pablo
- 12 Dyer (Routledge 62)
- 20 De Guzman
- 17 Shechter yellow card (Agustien 66)
- Newcastle 51%
- Swansea 49%
Attempts on target
- Newcastle 10
- Swansea 9
Attempts off target
- Newcastle 17
- Swansea 6
- Newcastle 5
- Swansea 4
- Newcastle 7
- Swansea 7
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+4:35 The referee signals the end of the game.
- 90:00+3:55 Handball decision goes against Gael Bigirimana. Gerhard Tremmel restarts play with the free kick.
- 90:00+2:07 Sylvain Marveaux provided the assist for the goal.
- 90:00+2:07 GOAL - Demba Ba:Newcastle 1 - 2 Swansea Demba Ba finds the back of the net with a headed goal from close range. Newcastle 1-2 Swansea.
- 90:00+2:04 Sylvain Marveaux takes a shot.
- 90:00+1:14 Shot by Hatem Ben Arfa from outside the box goes high over the target.
- 90:00+0:13 Outswinging corner taken by Hatem Ben Arfa from the left by-line, Header by Shola Ameobi from deep inside the penalty area misses to the right of the target.
- 89:48 Hatem Ben Arfa delivers the ball, clearance made by Ben Davies.
- 88:14 Unfair challenge on Leon Britton by Cheick Tiote results in a free kick. Kemy Agustien takes the direct free kick.
- 86:38 The assist for the goal came from Danny Graham.
- 86:38 GOAL - Jonathan de Guzman:Newcastle 0 - 2 Swansea Goal scored by Jonathan de Guzman from close in to the top left corner of the goal. Newcastle 0-2 Swansea.
- 86:35 Danny Graham takes a shot. Save by Tim Krul.
- 85:00 Hatem Ben Arfa takes a shot. Comfortable save by Gerhard Tremmel.
- 82:50 Sylvain Marveaux takes a shot. Garry Monk gets a block in.
- 82:08 Shola Ameobi takes a shot. Gerhard Tremmel makes a save.
- 81:14 Substitution Danny Graham replaces Miguel Michu.
- 78:55 Substitution Sylvain Marveaux is brought on as a substitute for Sammy Ameobi.
- 77:02 Shot on goal by Sammy Ameobi from just inside the area goes over the target.
- 75:43 Shot from close in by Miguel Michu misses to the left of the goal.
- 72:42 Jonathan de Guzman crosses the ball in from the free kick, clearance by Steven Taylor.
- 72:42 Substitution Danny Simpson goes off and Gael Bigirimana comes on.
- 72:42 Booking Booking for Davide Santon.
- 72:35 Davide Santon challenges Angel Rangel unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 71:56 The ball is crossed by Shola Ameobi, Gerhard Tremmel makes a save.
- 70:29 Kemy Agustien takes a shot. Blocked by Mike Williamson.
- 68:33 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Miguel Michu by Steven Taylor. Jonathan de Guzman takes the direct free kick.
- 67:20 The ball is crossed by Sammy Ameobi.
- 66:25 Demba Ba has a headed effort at goal from deep inside the area missing to the left of the target.
- 65:28 The free kick is delivered left-footed by Hatem Ben Arfa from left wing, Angel Rangel makes a clearance.
- 65:28 Substitution Itay Shechter leaves the field to be replaced by Kemy Agustien.
- 65:28 Booking Angel Rangel is shown a yellow card.
- 64:54 Angel Rangel gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Sammy Ameobi.
- Correction - 63:36 The ball is crossed by Sammy Ameobi, Demba Ba takes a shot. Comfortable save by Gerhard Tremmel.
- 63:36 Sammy Ameobi sends in a cross, Demba Ba takes a shot. Save by Gerhard Tremmel.
- 62:17 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Demba Ba by Ashley Williams. Direct free kick taken by Demba Ba. The referee blows for offside. Ashley Williams takes the free kick.
- 61:16 Gerhard Tremmel takes the free kick.
- 61:16 Substitution (Swansea) makes a substitution, with Wayne Routledge coming on for Nathan Dyer.
- 61:16 Demba Ba handles the ball and concedes a free kick.
- 60:44 Free kick awarded for a foul by Jonathan de Guzman on Sammy Ameobi. Free kick taken by Cheick Tiote.
- 59:46 Corner taken by Jonathan de Guzman from the left by-line played to the near post, Tim Krul makes a save.
- 59:23 Shola Ameobi is ruled offside. Free kick taken by Gerhard Tremmel.
- 58:52 Jonathan de Guzman is caught offside. Free kick taken by Cheick Tiote.
- 57:32 The assist for the goal came from Pablo Hernandez.
- 57:32 GOAL - Miguel Michu:Newcastle 0 - 1 Swansea Miguel Michu grabs a headed goal from inside the penalty area. Newcastle 0-1 Swansea.
- 57:30 The ball is swung over by Pablo Hernandez,
- 56:13 Jonathan de Guzman takes a inswinging corner to the near post, clearance by Hatem Ben Arfa. Effort on goal by Nathan Dyer from just inside the area clears the crossbar.
- 56:02 Pablo Hernandez takes a shot. Tim Krul makes a fantastic save.
- 55:30 Corner from right by-line taken by Jonathan de Guzman.
- 54:42 Effort on goal by Itay Shechter from just inside the penalty box goes harmlessly over the target.
- 53:23 The ball is sent over by Shola Ameobi, save by Gerhard Tremmel.
- 52:34 Sammy Ameobi challenges Nathan Dyer unfairly and gives away a free kick. Garry Monk takes the direct free kick.
- 52:16 Demba Ba takes a shot. Save made by Gerhard Tremmel.
- 51:30 Effort from inside the area by Demba Ba misses to the right of the goal.
- 50:26 Vurnon Anita takes a shot from just outside the penalty area clears the crossbar.
- 49:53 Demba Ba has an effort at goal from 12 yards. Save by Gerhard Tremmel.
- 48:37 Centre by Sammy Ameobi, save by Gerhard Tremmel.
- 46:31 Shot by Danny Simpson from outside the area goes high over the crossbar.
- 45:52 Corner taken by Hatem Ben Arfa played to the near post.
- 45:01 The second half has started.
- 45:01 Substitution Shola Ameobi on for Shane Ferguson.
- Half Time
- 45:00+1:14 The referee blows for half time.
- 45:00+0:16 Outswinging corner taken left-footed by Shane Ferguson, Header from deep inside the area by Demba Ba goes over the bar.
- 43:56 The ball is swung over by Shane Ferguson, clearance by Garry Monk.
- 43:17 The referee penalises Itay Shechter for handball. Cheick Tiote takes the direct free kick.
- 41:29 Jonathan de Guzman takes the outswinging corner, Garry Monk takes a shot. Blocked by Sammy Ameobi.
- 40:09 Pablo Hernandez produces a cross, Header from deep inside the area by Miguel Michu goes over the bar.
- 38:58 Davide Santon produces a cross.
- 37:41 Shane Ferguson concedes a free kick for a foul on Itay Shechter. Garry Monk restarts play with the free kick.
- 36:44 Vurnon Anita fouled by Leon Britton, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick taken by Tim Krul.
- 36:33 The ball is swung over by Itay Shechter, save made by Tim Krul.
- 34:56 Mike Williamson fouled by Miguel Michu, the ref awards a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Tim Krul.
- 34:15 Effort from the edge of the penalty box by Miguel Michu goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 34:01 Itay Shechter takes a shot. Tim Krul makes a save.
- 32:50 Effort on goal by Cheick Tiote from long range goes over the crossbar.
- 32:24 Corner taken by Shane Ferguson, clearance made by Itay Shechter.
- 32:12 Hatem Ben Arfa takes a shot. Save made by Gerhard Tremmel.
- 30:10 Demba Ba takes a shot. Blocked by Garry Monk.
- 28:49 A cross is delivered by Sammy Ameobi, clearance by Ashley Williams.
- 26:38 Header by Demba Ba from deep inside the penalty area misses to the left of the target.
- 25:15 Strike comes in from Hatem Ben Arfa from the free kick.
- 25:15 Booking The referee cautions Leon Britton for unsporting behaviour.
- 25:08 Cheick Tiote fouled by Leon Britton, the ref awards a free kick.
- 22:55 Hatem Ben Arfa produces a left-footed shot from the edge of the box and misses to the right of the goal.
- 22:16 Shane Ferguson sends in a cross, Sammy Ameobi takes a shot. Comfortable save by Gerhard Tremmel.
- 18:23 Vurnon Anita takes a outswinging corner to the near post, Header on goal by Steven Taylor from inside the box goes harmlessly over the target.
- 18:18 Centre by Danny Simpson, clearance by Ashley Williams.
- 16:02 Miguel Michu takes a shot. Save by Tim Krul.
- 14:58 Foul by Cheick Tiote on Itay Shechter, free kick awarded. Miguel Michu restarts play with the free kick.
- 12:00 Hatem Ben Arfa has an effort at goal from deep inside the area missing to the right of the goal.
- 11:05 Effort on goal by Hatem Ben Arfa from long range goes harmlessly over the bar.
- 10:08 Shot from long distance by Sammy Ameobi goes wide of the left-hand post.
- 9:47 Pablo Hernandez takes a shot. Save by Tim Krul.
- 9:28 The ball is sent over by Shane Ferguson, clearance by Ben Davies.
- 8:28 Cheick Tiote takes the direct free kick.
- 8:28 Booking Booking for Itay Shechter for unsporting behaviour.
- 8:21 Itay Shechter gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Davide Santon.
- 7:53 Danny Simpson delivers the ball.
- 7:03 The referee blows for offside against Itay Shechter. Indirect free kick taken by Tim Krul.
- 6:47 Vurnon Anita concedes a free kick for a foul on Ben Davies. Leon Britton restarts play with the free kick.
- 5:25 Effort from deep inside the area by Nathan Dyer misses to the left of the goal.
- 1:10 The ball is swung over by Sammy Ameobi, clearance by Ashley Williams.
- 0:00 The referee gets the game started.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.