Grimsby 3 - 0 Braintree Town
Grimsby went top of the Blue Square Bet Premier table with a comfortable win over struggling Braintree.
Ross Hannah's glancing header put the Mariners in front, before Craig Disley diverted Scott Neilson's cross home to double the advantage.
Hannah scored his second of the game with a low shot to secure the points.
The result means Grimsby move to the top of the league for the first time this season, while Braintree slip into the relegation places.
VIEWS FROM THE DRESSING ROOM
Grimsby Town joint-manager Rob Scott told BBC Radio Humberside:
"We were more intent on talking about our performance before the game and putting on a good performance following on from Woking.
"If it was to be a case of been second or top at the end of today then so be it. We can't control anything outside of our own 90 minutes.
"We were patient, they passed it, they kept wanting to get on the ball, there were no jitters from anybody. As soon as we scored I don't think there was any doubt that we wouldn't win the game."
Braintree Town manager Alan Devonshire told BBC Essex:
"We started off really well, had a few chances as well. I thought we were quite comfortable in the first half.
"We fell asleep for their first goal. We haven't cleared it and then it's gone from bad to worse after that.
"That's the naivity of our team. All three goals were sloppy goals. The second goal was a free-kick and for the third goal, two centre-halves are marking the wrong boy.
"Maybe we got a bit tired, maybe they stepped it up, but I'm not making excuses."
Live text and stats
Saturday, 17 November 2012
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 13 McKeown
- 02 Hatton
- 03 Thomas yellow card
- 05 Pearson
- 08 Disley (Niven 89)
- 21 Thanoj
- 22 Pond
- 24 Neilson (Southwell 78)
- 26 Marshall
- 12 Cook (Pearson 84)
- 25 Hannah
- 06 Miller,
- 16 Ford,
- 04 Niven,
- 18 Pearson,
- 20 Southwell
- 22 Naisbitt
- 03 Habergham (Bailey-Dennis 46)
- 15 Massey
- 16 O'Connor
- 19 Wells
- 07 Symons
- 08 Davis
- 11 Sparkes (Sheppard 57)
- 12 Daley
- 02 Peters yellow card (Hunt 77)
- 20 Holman
- 01 McDonald,
- 04 Bailey-Dennis,
- 05 Paine,
- 26 Hunt,
- 14 Sheppard
- Grimsby 63%
- Braintree Town 37%
Attempts on target
- Grimsby 6
- Braintree Town 0
Attempts off target
- Grimsby 8
- Braintree Town 6
- Grimsby 9
- Braintree Town 7
- Grimsby 8
- Braintree Town 8
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+4:11 The referee ends the match.
- 90:00+3:32 Dan Holman takes a shot. Outswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Luke Daley, Dayle Southwell makes a clearance.
- 90:00+3:05 Outswinging corner taken right-footed by Luke Daley from the right by-line, clearance by Aswad Thomas.
- 90:00+2:36 Free kick awarded for a foul by Derek Niven on Dan Holman. Kenny Davis takes the free kick.
- 90:00+1:21 Handball by Ross Hannah. Danny Naisbitt takes the free kick.
- 89:42 Luke Daley produces a strike on goal direct from the free kick.
- 89:42 Booking Booking for Aswad Thomas for time wasting.
- 89:30 Aswad Thomas concedes a free kick for a foul on Dan Holman.
- 88:09 Substitution Derek Niven is brought on as a substitute for Craig Disley.
- Correction - 87:13 Corner taken by Andi Thanoj from the right by-line played to the near post, clearance made by Kenny Davis.
- 87:13 Andi Thanoj takes the outswinging corner, Pat O'Connor manages to make a clearance.
- 82:54 Substitution Andy Cook leaves the field to be replaced by Greg Pearson.
- 82:54 Dan Holman takes a shot.
- 81:19 Andi Thanoj takes a outswinging corner.
- 80:05 Aswad Thomas sends in a cross.
- 77:56 Substitution Scott Neilson leaves the field to be replaced by Dayle Southwell.
- 76:33 Substitution Ryan Peters goes off and Declan Hunt comes on.
- 75:46 Kaine Sheppard crosses the ball.
- 73:40 Scott Neilson produces a cross. Corner from right by-line taken by Scott Neilson.
- 72:32 Andy Cook takes a shot. Alan Massey gets a block in.
- 72:00 Unfair challenge on Craig Disley by Kaine Sheppard results in a free kick. Craig Disley takes the direct free kick.
- 71:02 The offside flag is raised against Aswad Thomas. Danny Naisbitt takes the free kick.
- 69:12 Corner taken right-footed by Luke Daley from the right by-line, Kaine Sheppard takes a shot.
- 66:26 A cross is delivered by Dan Holman, clearance by Aswad Thomas.
- 64:54 GOAL - Ross Hannah:Grimsby 3 - 0 Braintree Town Ross Hannah finds the net with a goal from inside the area to the bottom right corner of the goal. Grimsby 3-0 Braintree Town.
- 63:27 Free kick awarded for a foul by Marcus Marshall on Nicky Symons. Direct free kick taken by Adam Bailey-Dennis.
- 61:35 Alan Massey challenges Craig Disley unfairly and gives away a free kick. Sam Hatton takes the direct free kick.
- 60:08 Pat O'Connor concedes a free kick for a foul on Andy Cook. Free kick taken by Sam Hatton, Scott Neilson takes a shot. Save made by Danny Naisbitt.
- 56:14 Substitution Daniel Sparkes goes off and Kaine Sheppard comes on.
- 55:10 Luke Daley delivers a inswinging corner to centre.
- 53:38 Dan Holman takes a shot.
- 51:43 The assist for the goal came from Scott Neilson.
- 51:43 GOAL - Craig Disley:Grimsby 2 - 0 Braintree Town Craig Disley finds the back of the net with a goal from close range to the bottom right corner of the goal. Grimsby 2-0 Braintree Town.
- 51:16 Free kick taken by Scott Neilson,
- 51:16 Booking The referee shows Ryan Peters a yellow card for unsporting behaviour.
- 51:04 Ryan Peters challenges Aswad Thomas unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 48:11 Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Scott Neilson played to the near post. Foul by Marcus Marshall on Kenny Davis, free kick awarded. Direct free kick taken by Danny Naisbitt.
- 47:35 Marcus Marshall takes a shot. Save made by Danny Naisbitt.
- 46:18 A cross is delivered by Andy Cook, Nicky Symons makes a clearance. Marcus Marshall crosses the ball, clearance made by Nicky Symons.
- 45:23 A cross is delivered by Marcus Marshall, Ross Hannah takes a shot.
- 45:01 The second half has started.
- 45:01 Substitution Adam Bailey-Dennis on for Sam Habergham.
- Half Time
- 45:00+5:02 The first half comes to an end.
- 45:00+0:45 Sam Hatton takes a shot. Scott Neilson takes a outswinging corner.
- 44:06 Sam Habergham produces a cross. Marcus Marshall concedes a free kick for a foul on Ryan Peters. Free kick taken by Dean Wells.
- 42:04 Assist by Nathan Pond.
- 42:04 GOAL - Ross Hannah:Grimsby 1 - 0 Braintree Town Ross Hannah finds the back of the net with a headed goal from just inside the area. Grimsby 1-0 Braintree Town.
- 41:27 Outswinging corner taken right-footed by Scott Neilson from the right by-line to the near post.
- 39:56 The ball is swung over by Dan Holman.
- 38:14 The ball is sent over by Sam Hatton.
- Correction - 35:39 Effort from deep inside the area by Ross Hannah misses to the left of the target. Marcus Marshall produces a cross. The official flags Dan Holman offside. Free kick taken by James McKeown. Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Scott Neilson by Nicky Symons. Free kick taken by Andi Thanoj.
- 35:39 Ross Hannah produces a right-footed shot from deep inside the penalty box which goes wide of the left-hand post. Centre by Marcus Marshall. The assistant referee flags for offside against Dan Holman. Direct free kick taken by James McKeown. Nicky Symons gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Scott Neilson. Free kick taken by Andi Thanoj.
- 32:54 Inswinging corner taken from the left by-line by Scott Neilson. Alan Massey fouled by Shaun Pearson, the ref awards a free kick.
- 30:55 Dan Holman is caught offside. Direct free kick taken by James McKeown.
- 29:06 The ball is crossed by Marcus Marshall, clearance by Alan Massey.
- 26:06 Effort on goal by Andy Cook from outside the area goes harmlessly over the bar.
- 24:11 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Ryan Peters by Scott Neilson. Danny Naisbitt takes the free kick.
- 20:50 Foul by Nicky Symons on Scott Neilson, free kick awarded. Direct effort from the free kick comes in from Sam Hatton.
- 17:42 Sam Habergham challenges Andy Cook unfairly and gives away a free kick. Sam Hatton has an effort direct from the free kick, save by Danny Naisbitt. Inswinging corner taken by Scott Neilson, Dean Wells makes a clearance.
- Correction - 12:39 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Luke Daley by Andi Thanoj. Kenny Davis gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Andy Cook. James McKeown restarts play with the free kick. Aswad Thomas produces a cross.
- 12:39 Foul by Andi Thanoj on Luke Daley, free kick awarded. Corner taken by Ryan Peters, Foul by Kenny Davis on Andy Cook, free kick awarded. Direct free kick taken by James McKeown. The ball is crossed by Aswad Thomas, Alan Massey manages to make a clearance.
- 11:19 Andi Thanoj takes a shot. Blocked by Alan Massey. Centre by Marcus Marshall, save by Danny Naisbitt.
- 9:09 Outswinging corner taken by Scott Neilson.
- 8:33 Centre by Ryan Peters.
- 8:06 Daniel Sparkes takes a shot. Shaun Pearson gets a block in.
- 5:58 Sam Habergham crosses the ball.
- 3:27 Effort from deep inside the area by Marcus Marshall clears the bar.
- 1:29 Short corner taken by Luke Daley. Luke Daley decides to take the corner short.
- 0:48 Ross Hannah is caught offside. Danny Naisbitt restarts play with the free kick.
- 0:00 The game gets underway.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.