Inverness CT 1 - 5 Motherwell
Motherwell leapt four places to fourth in the Scottish Premier League as they swept Inverness aside in the Highlands.
Michael Higdon nodded home Nicky Law's cross and Jamie Murphy volleyed a second as Stuart McCall's side controlled the first half.
Inverness pulled one back through Richie Foran on 46 minutes but notions of a comeback were soon crushed.
Adam Cummins smacked in Well's third from close range, Henrik Ojamaa slotted home and Omar Daley fired in another.
Inverness fall to seventh spot, the defeat having scuppered their chance of moving up to third in the table.
Motherwell's preparations for the trip north had been hit by illness, yet they utterly dominated the first half, their 60% of ball possession rewarded with a two-goal lead at the interval.
The first quarter hour offered little in the way of entertainment but that changed on 18 minutes when, after good work by Chris Humphrey, Law crossed for Higdon, who rose above David Raven to nod the ball past Antonio Reguero.
It was the Englishman's 55th SPL goal.
The visitors' second came three minutes later, again from the right wing, thanks to the enterprising Humphrey, who worked his way to the bye-line and sent in a cross that was diverted to Murphy by a glancing Josh Meekings defensive header and the resulting shot beat Reguero.
Just after the half-hour mark had passed, Ojamaa was fractionally late in meeting Stevie Hammell's cross from the left. His team-mate Humphrey's timing was impeccable, though, and his side-footed effort was saved well by Reguero.
Motherwell's steely grip on the match continued and the home side's Spanish goalkeeper was called on again to deny Murphy, diving to his left and parrying the forward's curling shot.
The contrast between Motherwell's inventiveness and the hosts' flat-footedness was highlighted just before half-time when Hammell's corner was dummied by Keith Lasley, allowing Nicky Law a clear shot at goal from 20 yards.
His effort, though, fizzed a foot or so over the bar.
Inverness manager Terry Butcher was in a jovial mood in his pre-match interview but his kick at a pitchside microphone indicated his half-time team talk would be fiery.
His words looked to have stirred his players into life because within 60 seconds of the restart Foran skilfully controlled Raven's cross and slotted the ball past Darren Randolph from a tight angle.
With the home fans eyeing a comeback, Motherwell quickly moved 3-1 ahead. As Inverness failed to clear their lines from a corner, Tom Hateley was given too much time to swing in a cross to the back post where centre-half Cummins killed the ball and blasted high past Reguero.
The Inverness goalie was off his line sharply to save from Ojamaa as Well threatened to make Caley Thistle pay for their forays forward.
But it was not long before Reguero failed to prevent Ojamaa from breaking his scoring duck for the season.
Humphrey played in Law near the right corner flag and the Englishman danced into the box, worked a one-two with Murphy and rolled the ball to the Estonian whose meek shot went through the legs of the keeper.
With the points in the bag, Motherwell eased off, allowing Inverness a trio of chances.
The pink-shirted Randolph made a superb save from Aaron Doran, tipping his 20-yard shot on to the bar, then Andrew Shinnie, the club's first player to win a Scotland cap, had a close-range shot diverted over.
Foran had Inverness's final chance, a looping header just over the bar from substitute Conor Pepper's deep cross.
With the home fans in the 3,000 crowd dejected, Daley scored Well's fifth, the Inverness defence allowing the sub an age to turn and shoot.
Reguero, who until the fourth goal had looked impressive, allowed Daley's shot to squirm through his body and cross the line.
Live text and stats
Sunday, 18 November 2012
Scottish Premier League
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 12 Reguero
- 02 Raven
- 03 Shinnie
- 05 Warren
- 14 Meekings
- 04 Tudur-Jones
- 10 Shinnie
- 19 Morrison (Pepper 68)
- 07 McKay (Sutherland 60)
- 09 Foran
- 17 Doran
- 31 Mathieson,
- 32 Cooper,
- 21 Polworth,
- 22 Pepper,
- 16 Oswell,
- 18 Sutherland,
- 23 Roberts
- 01 Randolph
- 03 Hammell
- 05 Hutchinson
- 30 Cummins
- 04 Law
- 06 Hateley
- 07 Humphrey (Daley 83)
- 14 Lasley
- 08 Ojamaa (McHugh 80)
- 09 Higdon
- 11 Murphy (Carswell 90)
- 12 Hollis,
- 19 Kerr,
- 26 Francis-Angol,
- 17 Daley,
- 18 Carswell,
- 27 Hetherington,
- 16 McHugh
- Inverness CT 51%
- Motherwell 49%
Attempts on target
- Inverness CT 5
- Motherwell 10
Attempts off target
- Inverness CT 4
- Motherwell 6
- Inverness CT 3
- Motherwell 8
- Inverness CT 4
- Motherwell 12
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+2:21 The game is over, as the referee blows his whistle.
- 90:00+1:30 Short corner taken by Tom Hateley.
- 89:22 Substitution Stewart Carswell replaces Jamie Murphy.
- 88:15 Nicky Law provided the assist for the goal.
- 88:15 GOAL - Omar Daley:Inverness CT 1 - 5 Motherwell Omar Daley fires in a goal from outside the box to the bottom right corner of the goal. Inverness CT 1-5 Motherwell.
- 86:57 The ball is delivered by Shane Sutherland, save by Darren Randolph.
- 85:09 Shot by Nicky Law from deep inside the penalty area misses to the left of the goal.
- 84:37 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Aaron Doran by Omar Daley. Aaron Doran restarts play with the free kick.
- 83:13 Jamie Murphy takes a shot from just inside the penalty box which clears the crossbar.
- 82:23 Substitution Omar Daley on for Chris Humphrey.
- 80:02 Chris Humphrey delivers the ball.
- Correction - 79:09 Substitution Robert McHugh on for Henrik Ojamaa.
- 79:09 Substitution Henrik Ojamaa goes off and Robert McHugh comes on.
- 78:47 Richie Foran has a header from inside the six-yard box and clears the crossbar.
- 77:46 Tom Hateley takes a outswinging corner.
- 77:31 Michael Higdon takes a shot. Josh Meekings gets a block in.
- 75:55 Jamie Murphy takes a shot. Antonio Reguero makes a comfortable save.
- 75:03 The ball is delivered by Josh Meekings, Darren Randolph makes a save.
- 74:25 Corner taken right-footed by Aaron Doran, save by Darren Randolph.
- 74:03 Corner taken by Graeme Shinnie played to the near post, Michael Higdon makes a clearance.
- 73:47 Andrew Shinnie takes a shot. Blocked by Shaun Hutchinson.
- 73:21 Aaron Doran takes a shot.
- 72:17 Inswinging corner taken by Graeme Shinnie, comfortable save by Darren Randolph.
- 71:07 Nicky Law provided the assist for the goal.
- 71:07 GOAL - Henrik Ojamaa:Inverness CT 1 - 4 Motherwell A goal is scored by Henrik Ojamaa from inside the penalty area low into the middle of the goal. Inverness CT 1-4 Motherwell.
- 68:40 Shaun Hutchinson challenges Andrew Shinnie unfairly and gives away a free kick. Graeme Shinnie delivers the ball from the free kick left-footed from right wing, save by Darren Randolph.
- 66:39 Adam Cummins takes the free kick.
- 66:39 Substitution Conor Pepper replaces Gavin Morrison.
- 66:39 Shane Sutherland gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Tom Hateley.
- 66:09 Gavin Morrison takes a shot.
- 64:07 Unfair challenge on Henrik Ojamaa by David Raven results in a free kick. Free kick taken by Darren Randolph.
- 60:01 Shot by Jamie Murphy from outside the area goes high over the crossbar.
- 59:59 Substitution Shane Sutherland comes on in place of Billy McKay.
- 59:49 The ball is crossed by David Raven, comfortable save by Darren Randolph.
- 58:29 Richie Foran is ruled offside. Darren Randolph restarts play with the free kick.
- 57:47 Free kick awarded for a foul by Chris Humphrey on Graeme Shinnie. Free kick taken by Antonio Reguero.
- 56:04 Tom Hateley is caught offside. Free kick taken by Antonio Reguero.
- 55:42 Inswinging corner taken by Tom Hateley from the left by-line played to the near post, Richie Foran manages to make a clearance.
- 55:16 Corner taken by Tom Hateley from the left by-line, Owain Tudur Jones makes a clearance.
- 54:58 Henrik Ojamaa takes a shot. Antonio Reguero makes a save.
- 52:27 Aaron Doran concedes a free kick for a foul on Nicky Law. Free kick taken by Darren Randolph.
- 51:35 Assist by Tom Hateley.
- 51:35 GOAL - Adam Cummins:Inverness CT 1 - 3 Motherwell A goal is scored by Adam Cummins from close range to the top left corner of the goal. Inverness CT 1-3 Motherwell.
- 51:26 The ball is sent over by Tom Hateley,
- 51:02 Corner taken right-footed by Tom Hateley from the left by-line, Antonio Reguero makes a save.
- 49:35 Inswinging corner taken by Tom Hateley from the left by-line played to the near post, clearance made by Gavin Morrison.
- 48:11 Foul by Adam Cummins on Owain Tudur Jones, free kick awarded. Free kick taken by Graeme Shinnie. The referee blows for offside. Indirect free kick taken by Darren Randolph.
- 47:39 Unfair challenge on Graeme Shinnie by Chris Humphrey results in a free kick. Free kick taken by Antonio Reguero.
- 46:07 David Raven provided the assist for the goal.
- 46:07 GOAL - Richie Foran:Inverness CT 1 - 2 Motherwell Richie Foran finds the net with a goal from close in low into the middle of the goal. Inverness CT 1-2 Motherwell.
- 46:03 Centre by David Raven,
- 45:01 The second half has started.
- Half Time
- 45:00+0:07 The ref blows to signal half-time.
- 43:46 Stevie Hammell decides to take a short corner, Effort on goal by Nicky Law from just inside the penalty box goes harmlessly over the target.
- 42:36 Foul by Graeme Shinnie on Chris Humphrey, free kick awarded. Free kick crossed right-footed by Tom Hateley.
- 40:40 Shaun Hutchinson challenges Richie Foran unfairly and gives away a free kick. Andrew Shinnie restarts play with the free kick.
- 38:15 A cross is delivered by Aaron Doran, Darren Randolph makes a comfortable save.
- 37:31 Free kick awarded for a foul by Keith Lasley on Gavin Morrison. Free kick taken by Aaron Doran.
- 36:44 Richie Foran is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Free kick taken by Darren Randolph.
- 34:13 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Andrew Shinnie by Keith Lasley. Owain Tudur Jones fires a strike on goal direct from the free kick, save made by Darren Randolph.
- 33:10 Jamie Murphy takes a shot. Save made by Antonio Reguero.
- 32:52 Drilled right-footed shot by Owain Tudur Jones. Save made by Darren Randolph.
- 32:23 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Andrew Shinnie by Nicky Law. Richie Foran takes the free kick.
- 31:33 The ball is delivered by David Raven, save made by Darren Randolph.
- 30:32 Chris Humphrey takes a shot. Save by Antonio Reguero.
- 27:26 The ball is swung over by Chris Humphrey, save by Antonio Reguero.
- 22:32 Effort on goal by Jamie Murphy from just inside the area clears the crossbar.
- 20:36 The assist for the goal came from Chris Humphrey.
- 20:36 GOAL - Jamie Murphy:Inverness CT 0 - 2 Motherwell Goal scored by Jamie Murphy from inside the penalty box to the bottom left corner of the goal. Inverness CT 0-2 Motherwell.
- 20:19 The ball is sent over by Chris Humphrey, clearance by Josh Meekings.
- 17:01 Nicky Law provided the assist for the goal.
- 17:01 GOAL - Michael Higdon:Inverness CT 0 - 1 Motherwell Michael Higdon finds the net with a headed goal from inside the six-yard box. Inverness CT 0-1 Motherwell.
- 16:58 Nicky Law delivers the ball,
- 15:41 Aaron Doran fouled by Stevie Hammell, the ref awards a free kick. Antonio Reguero takes the free kick.
- 12:59 Billy McKay has an effort at goal from outside the box which goes wide left of the goal.
- 11:18 Unfair challenge on Gary Warren by Michael Higdon results in a free kick. Josh Meekings restarts play with the free kick.
- 10:48 The ball is crossed by Andrew Shinnie.
- 7:58 Gavin Morrison takes a shot. Darren Randolph makes a comfortable save.
- 4:32 Keith Lasley takes a shot. Josh Meekings gets a block in.
- 3:23 The offside flag is raised against Richie Foran. Free kick taken by Darren Randolph.
- 3:06 Keith Lasley concedes a free kick for a foul on Gavin Morrison. Owain Tudur Jones takes the direct free kick.
- 1:19 Inswinging corner taken by Tom Hateley from the left by-line.
- 0:00 The referee gets the game underway.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.