Galatasaray 1 - 0 Man Utd
Manchester United lost their 100% record in the Champions League this season with defeat at Galatasaray.
Striker Burak Yilmaz scored his fifth goal of the group stage early in the second half when he leapt highest to head in from a right-wing corner.
The home side created the best chances, with Anders Lindegaard saving from Yilmaz and Hamit Altintop, who also saw a shot rattle the United woodwork.
Teenager Nick Powell had United's best chance when his header struck the bar.
With Cluj beating Braga, it was essential for Fatih Terim's side to secure victory over the three-time European champions.
- Burak Yilmaz has scored all five of the goals that Galatasaray have netted in the Champions League this season
- At an average age of 24 years and 154 days, this was the third youngest starting line-up that Man Utd have ever selected in a Champions League game
Those two sides have seven points and are both vying for second spot, while United remain on 12 points, having already won the group.
With qualification for the last 16 secured and having left several senior players at home, this encounter gave Sir Alex Ferguson the chance to see if the next generation could cope in an intense atmosphere.
Of particular interest to some United fans would have been the performance of those competing for a spot in central midfield.
Long-serving United pros Ryan Giggs and Michael Carrick looked leggy against Norwich in last weekend's 1-0 defeat, with Ferguson bringing on a 38-year-old - in the form of Paul Scholes - to try to remedy the situation after his side fell behind.
Giggs and Scholes are the burning embers of what remains of the golden midfield that helped the club achieve its successes of the last 20 years.
The two players touted to lead the new generation of midfielders - Tom Cleverley and Powell - started at the Turk Telekom Arena.
Cleverley, 23, has seized his chance this season and produced a steady, if unspectacular performance, in Turkey, but alongside him was a player five years his junior trying to show his manager that he has a long-term future at the club.
Powell, who scored for Crewe in a 2-1 win against Morecambe a year ago yesterday, was excellent on his first Champions League start.
He seemed to forge a good understanding with forward Danny Welbeck, coped well with the physical presence of Brazilian powerhouse Felipe Melo and came closest to scoring for the Red Devils when his header came off the woodwork.
United's other opportunities were merely half-chances, with the starting XI - with an average age of 24 - on the back foot for much of the match against a side fighting for their Champions League future.
Melo was impressive in midfield, although he was lucky not to get punished for some rough early tackles, while Yilmaz and the fantastic winger Nordin Amrabat were a constant threat in the final third of the pitch.
Yilmaz, who has scored all of Galatasaray's goals this campaign, forced a great stop from Lindegaard, although the Turk should have scored when he failed to make a connection with a cross from three yards out.
Turkey international Altintop once again showed his potency from distance, forcing another great save from Lindegaard, before smacking the underside of the bar in the second half with a venomous effort which Lindegaard got a slight touch to.
United coped well with much of what was thrown at them, except for the one moment shortly after the restart when Yilmaz leapt ahead of team-mate Melo to head in the only goal of the match.
Live text and stats
Tuesday, 20 November 2012
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 25 Muslera
- 13 Dany Nounkeu
- 26 Kaya yellow card
- 27 Eboue
- 04 Altintop
- 08 Inan
- 09 Elmander (Baytar 63)
- 10 Felipe Melo
- 11 Riera
- 17 Yilmaz yellow card (Bulut 90+1)
- 53 Amrabat (Colak 81)
- 86 Ufuk Ceylan,
- 03 Cris,
- 33 Birinci,
- 35 Kurtulus,
- 50 Baytar,
- 52 Colak,
- 19 Bulut
- 13 Lindegaard
- 02 Rafael yellow card
- 04 Jones
- 28 Buttner
- 08 Anderson (Young 74)
- 16 Carrick
- 23 Cleverley
- 24 Fletcher
- 25 Powell (Macheda 74)
- 14 Hernandez
- 19 Welbeck (King 85)
- Galatasaray 52%
- Man Utd 48%
Attempts on target
- Galatasaray 7
- Man Utd 3
Attempts off target
- Galatasaray 5
- Man Utd 4
- Galatasaray 3
- Man Utd 8
- Galatasaray 15
- Man Utd 12
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+3:38 The referee blows his whistle to end the game.
- 90:00+2:18 Federico Macheda is caught offside. Free kick taken by Fernando Muslera.
- 90:00+0:54 Outswinging corner taken by Ashley Young from the right by-line, free kick awarded for a foul by Joshua King on Dany Nounkeu. Direct free kick taken by Fernando Muslera.
- 90:00+0:08 Substitution Umut Bulut is brought on as a substitute for Burak Yilmaz.
- 90:00 Centre by Joshua King, clearance by Dany Nounkeu.
- 89:16 Javier Hernandez takes a shot. Save by Fernando Muslera.
- 87:52 Dany Nounkeu concedes a free kick for a foul on Federico Macheda. Tom Cleverley takes the direct free kick.
- 87:32 De Carvalho Felipe Melo has an effort at goal. Save by Anders Lindegaard.
- 85:59 The assistant referee flags for offside against Emre Colak. Free kick taken by Anders Lindegaard.
- 84:10 Substitution Joshua King on for Danny Welbeck.
- 80:05 Substitution (Galatasaray) makes a substitution, with Emre Colak coming on for Nordin Amrabat.
- 79:30 Free kick awarded for a foul by Engin Baytar on Phil Jones. Tom Cleverley restarts play with the free kick.
- 77:24 Hamit Altintop takes a shot from 25 yards.
- 76:40 Booking Burak Yilmaz goes into the book.
- 74:20 Rafael Da Silva challenges Burak Yilmaz unfairly and gives away a free kick. Selcuk Inan takes the direct free kick.
- 73:08 Substitution Nick Powell leaves the field to be replaced by Federico Macheda.
- 73:08 Substitution Oliveira Anderson goes off and Ashley Young comes on.
- 68:27 Rafael Da Silva fouled by Nordin Amrabat, the ref awards a free kick. Rafael Da Silva restarts play with the free kick.
- 67:14 Danny Welbeck challenges Semih Kaya unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Semih Kaya.
- 63:45 Foul by Nordin Amrabat on Rafael Da Silva, free kick awarded. Direct free kick taken by Rafael Da Silva.
- 62:40 Substitution Engin Baytar on for Johan Elmander.
- 62:15 Inswinging corner taken left-footed by Oliveira Anderson played to the near post.
- 62:00 Corner taken by Oliveira Anderson played to the near post, De Carvalho Felipe Melo makes a clearance.
- 61:45 Oliveira Anderson takes a inswinging corner to the near post, clearance by De Carvalho Felipe Melo.
- 60:39 Inswinging corner taken from the left by-line by Selcuk Inan, save made by Anders Lindegaard.
- 60:18 Emmanuel Eboue takes a shot. Anders Lindegaard makes a save.
- 59:10 Oliveira Anderson takes a shot. Save by Fernando Muslera.
- 58:09 Javier Hernandez takes a shot.
- 55:22 The ball is sent over by Nordin Amrabat.
- 54:26 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Selcuk Inan by Nick Powell. Free kick taken by Emmanuel Eboue.
- 53:01 Assist by Selcuk Inan.
- 53:01 GOAL - Burak Yilmaz:Galatasaray 1 - 0 Man Utd Burak Yilmaz finds the net with a headed goal from inside the six-yard box. Galatasaray 1-0 Man Utd.
- 52:41 De Carvalho Felipe Melo takes a shot. Save made by Anders Lindegaard. Outswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Selcuk Inan,
- 51:13 Unfair challenge on Alexander Buttner by Hamit Altintop results in a free kick. Free kick taken by Alexander Buttner.
- 48:47 Shot by Albert Riera. Anders Lindegaard makes a save.
- 47:46 Alexander Buttner produces a cross.
- 47:25 Burak Yilmaz is ruled offside. Indirect free kick taken by Darren Fletcher.
- 46:17 Effort from outside the area by Nick Powell goes wide right of the goal.
- 45:34 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Tom Cleverley by Selcuk Inan. Direct free kick taken by Anders Lindegaard.
- 45:01 The second half kicks off.
- Half Time
- 45:00+1:29 The match has reached half-time.
- 45:00+0:03 The ball is delivered by Albert Riera, Phil Jones manages to make a clearance.
- 44:15 Albert Riera sends in a cross, Michael Carrick manages to make a clearance.
- 43:32 Foul by Oliveira Anderson on Dany Nounkeu, free kick awarded. Dany Nounkeu takes the direct free kick.
- 42:11 Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Tom Cleverley from the left by-line, Nick Powell takes a shot.
- 40:48 The assistant referee flags for offside against Nordin Amrabat. Indirect free kick taken by Anders Lindegaard.
- 39:17 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Tom Cleverley by Nordin Amrabat. Rafael Da Silva takes the free kick.
- 38:57 Corner taken short by Oliveira Anderson.
- 38:06 Effort on goal by Nick Powell from long range goes harmlessly over the bar.
- 37:51 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Phil Jones by Burak Yilmaz. Phil Jones restarts play with the free kick.
- 36:14 Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Tom Cleverley from the left by-line, De Carvalho Felipe Melo makes a clearance.
- 35:56 Corner from the right by-line taken by Oliveira Anderson, save by Fernando Muslera.
- 34:43 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Rafael Da Silva by Selcuk Inan. The free kick is delivered left-footed by Oliveira Anderson from right channel.
- 34:21 Foul by Dany Nounkeu on Javier Hernandez, free kick awarded. Rafael Da Silva takes the direct free kick.
- 33:43 Hamit Altintop takes a shot. Save by Anders Lindegaard.
- 31:43 Foul by Oliveira Anderson on Albert Riera, free kick awarded. Free kick crossed right-footed by Selcuk Inan from left wing.
- 30:48 Free kick awarded for a foul by Nick Powell on Burak Yilmaz. De Carvalho Felipe Melo takes the direct free kick.
- 28:30 Foul by De Carvalho Felipe Melo on Tom Cleverley, free kick awarded. Oliveira Anderson takes the direct free kick.
- 27:55 De Carvalho Felipe Melo fouled by Nick Powell, the ref awards a free kick. De Carvalho Felipe Melo takes the free kick.
- 24:17 Nordin Amrabat takes a shot.
- 19:53 Centre by Selcuk Inan, Close range header by Burak Yilmaz goes over the bar.
- 19:53 Booking Rafael Da Silva is given a yellow card.
- 19:51 Rafael Da Silva concedes a free kick for a foul on Nordin Amrabat.
- 18:36 De Carvalho Felipe Melo fouled by Oliveira Anderson, the ref awards a free kick. De Carvalho Felipe Melo restarts play with the free kick.
- 17:45 Nordin Amrabat has an effort at goal from just inside the box that misses to the left of the goal. Corner taken by Selcuk Inan from the left by-line.
- 17:33 Hamit Altintop sends in a cross.
- 16:14 Hamit Altintop challenges Javier Hernandez unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Oliveira Anderson.
- 15:02 Alexander Buttner gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Hamit Altintop. Fernando Muslera takes the direct free kick.
- 12:40 Nordin Amrabat is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Anders Lindegaard restarts play with the free kick.
- 10:55 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Alexander Buttner by De Carvalho Felipe Melo. Alexander Buttner takes the free kick.
- 8:54 Shot from outside the area by Nordin Amrabat misses to the left of the target.
- 7:45 Free kick taken by Phil Jones.
- 7:45 Booking Semih Kaya is booked.
- 7:44 Semih Kaya concedes a free kick for a foul on Alexander Buttner.
- 4:54 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Hamit Altintop by Alexander Buttner. Dany Nounkeu restarts play with the free kick.
- 4:15 Burak Yilmaz produces a drilled right-footed shot from 30 yards. Anders Lindegaard makes a save.
- 3:40 Unfair challenge on Nick Powell by De Carvalho Felipe Melo results in a free kick. Alexander Buttner restarts play with the free kick.
- 1:44 Tom Cleverley takes a shot. Fernando Muslera makes a save.
- 0:00 The ref blows the whistle to begin the match.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
CommentsJump to comments pagination
Comment number 244.YAMS
22nd November 2012 - 21:03
Comment number 243.TotalBlue
22nd November 2012 - 20:59
Comment number 242.YAMS
22nd November 2012 - 20:50
Comment number 241.TotalBlue
22nd November 2012 - 20:47
Comment number 240.YAMS
22nd November 2012 - 20:30