Port Vale 4 - 0 Bristol Rovers
Tom Pope became the quickest player in Port Vale's history to score 20 goals in a season as his hat-trick helped thrash Bristol Rovers.
He opened the scoring when he chested down a long ball and crashed an 18-yard shot into the net before later heading home from point-blank range for 2-0.
Ben Williamson then ran in a loose ball for Vale's third after Pope's header came back off the inside of the post.
Pope was not to be denied and sealed the record with a 16-yard header.
It was the 27-year-old's 23rd game of the season.
VIEWS FROM THE DRESSING ROOM
Bristol Rovers manager Mark McGhee told BBC Radio Bristol:
"We didn't keep the ball up front and the two boys up there didn't work as hard as we wanted them to.
"They didn't do what we needed them to do in terms of defending and attacking.
"We had six clear-cut chances, not half chances, I thought they were decent chances.
"It's hugely disappointing as they practice every day but when it comes to a game like this they can't convert it."
Live text and stats
Tuesday, 20 November 2012
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
|Port Vale||4-0||Bristol Rovers||FT|
- 01 Neal
- 02 Yates
- 05 McCombe
- 14 McDonald (Davis 78)
- 24 Duffy
- 09 Myrie-Williams
- 21 James
- 23 Burge (McAllister 73)
- 10 Vincent
- 11 Pope (Lloyd 68)
- 19 Williamson
- 12 Johnson,
- 17 Davis,
- 03 Taylor,
- 15 Shuker,
- 20 McAllister,
- 22 Lloyd,
- 08 Dodds
- 38 Etheridge
- 02 Smith
- 04 Woodards (Gill 46)
- 06 Parks
- 11 Broghammer (Santos 60)
- 14 Brown
- 03 Paterson
- 21 Brown
- 25 Clucas (Riordan 55)
- 26 Lund
- 32 Eaves
- 28 Walker,
- 19 Virgo,
- 30 Lockyer,
- 08 Gill,
- 33 Santos,
- 17 Harrison,
- 27 Riordan
- Port Vale 51%
- Bristol Rovers 49%
Attempts on target
- Port Vale 7
- Bristol Rovers 4
Attempts off target
- Port Vale 2
- Bristol Rovers 6
- Port Vale 6
- Bristol Rovers 3
- Port Vale 7
- Bristol Rovers 5
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+4:55 The final whistle goes and the game is over.
- 80:02 Outswinging corner taken by Tom Parkes from the right by-line, Header on goal by Tom Eaves from just inside the area goes over the target.
- 77:48 Substitution Joe Davis replaces Clayton McDonald.
- 76:38 Free kick awarded for a foul by Sean McAllister on Matthew Lund. Free kick crossed by Tom Parkes.
- 75:29 Header from deep inside the penalty area by Matthew Lund goes harmlessly over the crossbar.
- 72:27 Substitution Sean McAllister joins the action as a substitute, replacing Ryan Burge.
- 67:53 Substitution Ryan Lloyd joins the action as a substitute, replacing Tom Pope.
- 67:16 Inswinging corner taken by Tom Parkes, Kingsley James makes a clearance.
- 66:06 Assist on the goal came from Clayton McDonald.
- 66:06 GOAL - Tom Pope:Port Vale 4 - 0 Bristol Rovers Tom Pope finds the net with a headed goal from just inside the area. Port Vale 4-0 Bristol Rovers.
- 63:26 Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Ryan Burge played to the near post, save made by Neil Etheridge.
- 61:55 Corner taken right-footed by Ryan Burge, save by Neil Etheridge.
- 61:13 Tom Eaves takes a shot. Save made by Chris Neal.
- 59:39 Substitution Alfie Santos comes on in place of Fabian Broghammer.
- 54:52 Substitution (Bristol Rovers) makes a substitution, with Derek Riordan coming on for Seanan Clucas.
- 53:24 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Ryan Burge by Tom Parkes. Direct free kick taken by Richard Duffy. Matthew Lund takes a shot. Save by Chris Neal.
- 50:05 Unfair challenge on Seanan Clucas by Tom Pope results in a free kick. Free kick crossed right-footed by Matthew Lund, clearance made by Richard Duffy.
- 48:11 Foul by Tom Eaves on Richard Duffy, free kick awarded. Free kick taken by Richard Duffy.
- 46:06 Ryan Burge takes a inswinging corner from the right by-line to the near post. Ashley Vincent produces a header from deep inside the six-yard box which goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 45:01 The referee starts the second half.
- 45:01 Substitution Matt Gill on for Danny Woodards.
- Half Time
- 45:00+2:56 The match has reached half-time.
- 45:00+2:19 Shot by Matthew Lund. Comfortable save by Chris Neal.
- 45:00+2:02 Tom Pope is ruled offside. Neil Etheridge takes the indirect free kick.
- 44:32 Shot from just outside the box by Ben Williamson goes over the target.
- 42:53 Free kick awarded for a foul by Jim Paterson on Jennison Myrie-Williams. Jennison Myrie-Williams crosses the ball from the free kick right-footed from left channel, save by Neil Etheridge. Ryan Burge takes a outswinging corner from the left by-line to the near post, clearance by Tom Eaves.
- 41:17 Jim Paterson gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Jennison Myrie-Williams. Jennison Myrie-Williams has an effort direct from the free kick.
- 39:15 Unfair challenge on Tom Eaves by Clayton McDonald results in a free kick. Matthew Lund shoots direct from the free kick.
- 38:15 Corner taken by Ryan Burge played to the near post, Tom Eaves manages to make a clearance.
- 34:53 The assist for the goal came from Richard Duffy.
- 34:53 GOAL - Ben Williamson:Port Vale 3 - 0 Bristol Rovers Ben Williamson finds the back of the net with a headed goal from inside the area. Port Vale 3-0 Bristol Rovers.
- 33:01 The offside flag is raised against Ashley Vincent. Neil Etheridge takes the free kick.
- 29:34 Tom Eaves produces a left-footed shot from the edge of the box and misses to the right of the target.
- 29:15 Outswinging corner taken from the left by-line by Ryan Burge, save made by Neil Etheridge.
- 27:45 Free kick awarded for a foul by Clayton McDonald on Tom Eaves. Direct strike on goal from the free kick comes in from Matthew Lund, save made by Chris Neal.
- 26:01 Ben Williamson takes a shot. Neil Etheridge makes a brilliant save.
- 21:16 Assist on the goal came from Ashley Vincent.
- 21:16 GOAL - Tom Pope:Port Vale 2 - 0 Bristol Rovers Tom Pope scores a headed goal from close range. Port Vale 2-0 Bristol Rovers.
- 19:56 GOAL - Tom Pope:Port Vale 1 - 0 Bristol Rovers Tom Pope fires in a goal from just outside the area to the bottom right corner of the goal. Port Vale 1-0 Bristol Rovers.
- 19:38 Tom Eaves is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Indirect free kick taken by Clayton McDonald.
- 18:40 Shot by Fabian Broghammer from outside the area goes high over the crossbar.
- 15:41 Seanan Clucas takes a shot from just inside the penalty box which clears the crossbar.
- 14:54 Ashley Vincent gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Michael Smith. Neil Etheridge takes the direct free kick.
- 11:53 Ben Williamson takes a shot. Neil Etheridge makes a save.
- 7:14 Danny Woodards challenges Tom Pope unfairly and gives away a free kick. Ryan Burge takes the free kick.
- 6:01 Foul by Clayton McDonald on Fabian Broghammer, free kick awarded. Jim Paterson delivers the ball from the free kick left-footed from right wing, Chris Neal makes a save.
- 3:21 Outswinging corner taken by Jim Paterson from the left by-line.
- 0:46 Free kick awarded for a foul by Jennison Myrie-Williams on Matthew Lund. Direct free kick taken by Neil Etheridge.
- 0:00 The ref blows the whistle to start the match.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.