Juventus 3 - 0 Chelsea
Chelsea were left on the brink of an ignominious exit from this season's Champions League after a comprehensive defeat at the Stadio Juventus in Turin.
Juventus deserved their victory. Fabio Quagliarella deflected Andrea Pirlo's shot beyond Petr Cech before half-time before Arturo Vidal struck on the hour.
Can Chelsea still qualify?
- Yes, but the champions are long shots.
- Chelsea must win their final group game against FC Nordsjaelland at Stamford Bridge and hope that Shakhtar can beat Juventus in Donetsk to avoid becoming the first holders to be eliminated in group stage.
- Should Juventus draw that game or even win it, Chelsea will be out of the competiton.
With time running out, Sebastian Giovinco beat the Chelsea goalkeeper to the ball to prod in from 30 yards.
If Roberto Di Matteo arrived in Turin facing speculation over his own future after four Premier League games without a win, this defeat threw up far more questions than it did answers.
The permutations do not make pleasant viewing for Chelsea, who know that even victory in their final group game FC Nordsjaelland at Stamford Bridge may not be enough. If Juventus take a point against Shakhtar Donetsk, who have already qualified for the knockout stages, Chelsea are out.
The questions facing Di Matteo are likely to multiply in the days ahead. Some will centre on Fernando Torres, whose Chelsea career plumbed fresh depths as he was left on the sidelines until the 70th minute, even with his team-mates chasing the goals that might have breathed hope into their Champions League campaign.
The majority, however, will centre on Di Matteo's position and owner Roman Abramovich's infamous lack of patience - with Premier League leaders Manchester City due at Stamford Bridge on Sunday.
Chelsea managers have had their fate decided in an Italian cauldron before, of course.
Nine months ago it had been Andre Villas-Boas who went into the most critical match of his troubled tenure knowing a victory in Naples might be needed to prolong his tenure. Tonight it was Di Matteo's opportunity to ease the growing scrutiny surrounding his position.
There were 11 internationals in Chelsea's starting line-up, but there was none of the solidity that became their hallmark during last season's European triumph. John Terry, Frank Lampard and the departed Didier Drogba were nowhere to be seen, instead the onus fell on the new generation in the most testing of environments.
Before kick-off, the home support unfurled a banner carrying the words 'after Italy we'll take Europe' and it didn't take long to see why there was such confidence in the stands.
"Chelsea lacked character and presence. They need to find replacements for John Terry and Frank Lampard, who are coming to the end of their careers, and they need to replace Didier Drogba with a striker who will work hard. They have been left with just Torres and that makes things difficult."
More often than not, the danger stemmed from Andrea Pirlo, who tormented Chelsea's back line all night. The onslaught started in the third minute, when Stephan Lichtsteiner ghosted onto Mirko Vucinic's clever far-post cross, only to be denied by Cech with the help of the post.
Cech was on form and, with Gary Cahill and David Luiz at risk of being overwhelmed, he had to be. The Chelsea goalkeeper fielded a Pirlo free-kick as well as shots from Vucinic and Quagliarella, with the visitors' only respite a mazy run by Oscar that led to a fierce low shot from Eden Hazard, which Gianluigi Buffon deflected wide.
Soon after, Ramires dribbled through impressively, only for Oscar to see his goal-bound shot blocked but things were beginning to look ominous for Chelsea and seven minutes before half-time they fell behind. Pirlo ambled forward and unleashed a low shot, which appeared to pose little danger until it took a wicked deflection off Quagliarella to wrong-foot Cech and roll into the net.
Chelsea came within an inch or two of falling further behind a minute later, as Luiz deflected Kwadwo Asamoah's cross towards his own goal, only for Ashley Cole to clear the ball off the line. But from that moment, Di Matteo's side surged forward and might have had an equaliser, only for Juan Mata to miscontrol Hazard's right-wing cross.
Juventus started the second half with more purpose. Vucinic was denied a penalty after appearing to be held back by Cahill as he prepared to shoot.
The Italian champions were beginning to look like scoring every time they crossed the halfway line. Cech denied Pirlo and then Quagliarella in the space of a minute but a smaller margin of defeat would have flattered Chelsea and, on the hour mark, Juventus struck again.
Moments after Victor Moses replaced Cesar Azpilicueta, Vucinic found Asamoah wide on the left flank and the Ghanaian's clever cutback was fired goalwards by Vidal, only for another cruel deflection to beat Cech once again.
Torres was thrown on but Chelsea never looked like a genuine threat. Juventus broke forward once again and when Cech charged off his line and out of his penalty area in a bid to hack clear a through-ball from deep, substitute Giovinco was able to beat him to the ball, prodding it past him to add salt into an already raw wound.
Live text and stats
Tuesday, 20 November 2012
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Buffon
- 03 Chiellini
- 15 Barzagli
- 19 Bonucci yellow card
- 26 Lichtsteiner (Caceres 68)
- 08 Marchisio yellow card
- 21 Pirlo
- 22 Asamoah
- 23 Vidal
- 09 Vucinic (Giovinco 83 yellow card)
- 27 Quagliarella (Pogba 89)
- 30 Storari,
- 04 Caceres,
- 06 Pogba,
- 12 Giovinco,
- 07 Pepe,
- 24 Giaccherini,
- 32 Matri
- 01 Cech
- 02 Ivanovic
- 03 Cole
- 04 David Luiz
- 24 Cahill
- 28 Azpilicueta (Moses 60)
- 07 Ramires yellow card
- 10 Mata
- 11 Oscar
- 12 Mikel (Torres 71)
- 17 Hazard
- Juventus 56%
- Chelsea 44%
Attempts on target
- Juventus 15
- Chelsea 6
Attempts off target
- Juventus 9
- Chelsea 5
- Juventus 10
- Chelsea 5
- Juventus 19
- Chelsea 6
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+3:09 The game is over, as the referee blows his whistle.
- 90:00+1:47 Branislav Ivanovic crosses the ball, Giorgio Chiellini manages to make a clearance.
- Correction - 90:00+0:40 Assist by Arturo Vidal.
- Correction - 90:00+0:40 Booking Sebastian Giovinco booked.
- 90:00+0:40 The assist for the goal came from Claudio Marchisio.
- 90:00+0:40 Booking Sebastian Giovinco shown a yellow card.
- 90:00+0:04 GOAL - Sebastian Giovinco:Juventus 3 - 0 Chelsea Sebastian Giovinco fires in a goal from outside the box low into the middle of the goal. Juventus 3-0 Chelsea.
- 89:16 Sebastian Giovinco is caught offside. Petr Cech takes the direct free kick.
- 88:36 Short corner worked by Sebastian Giovinco.
- 88:36 Substitution Fabio Quagliarella leaves the field to be replaced by Paul Pogba.
- 86:57 Leonardo Bonucci concedes a free kick for a foul on Eden Hazard. Gary Cahill takes the direct free kick.
- 86:26 Eden Hazard fouled by Arturo Vidal, the ref awards a free kick. The free kick is swung in left-footed by Juan Mata, Kwadwo Asamoah makes a clearance.
- 85:39 Corner taken by Eden Hazard from the left by-line to the near post, Arturo Vidal makes a clearance. Inswinging corner taken from the left by-line by Eden Hazard, save by Gianluigi Buffon.
- 84:45 Free kick taken by Gary Cahill.
- 84:45 Booking Caution for Claudio Marchisio.
- 84:34 Free kick awarded for a foul by Claudio Marchisio on Emboaba Oscar.
- 82:01 Substitution Sebastian Giovinco replaces Mirko Vucinic.
- 81:13 The ball is delivered by Emboaba Oscar, Gianluigi Buffon makes a comfortable save.
- 80:59 Short corner taken by Juan Mata.
- 80:35 Victor Moses crosses the ball, save made by Gianluigi Buffon.
- 80:06 Nascimento Ramires fouled by Mirko Vucinic, the ref awards a free kick. Nascimento Ramires takes the free kick.
- 78:59 Free kick awarded for a foul by Martin Caceres on Ashley Cole. Eden Hazard crosses the ball in from the free kick, Gianluigi Buffon makes a comfortable save.
- 77:59 The ball is swung over by Arturo Vidal, Leonardo Bonucci concedes a free kick for a foul on Gary Cahill. Direct free kick taken by Petr Cech.
- 77:30 Shot by Andrea Pirlo. Blocked by Gary Cahill. Short corner taken by Andrea Pirlo from the left by-line.
- 76:59 Effort on goal by David Luiz from outside the penalty box goes harmlessly over the bar.
- 76:29 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Branislav Ivanovic by Claudio Marchisio. Juan Mata crosses the ball in from the free kick.
- 75:35 Leonardo Bonucci takes the free kick.
- 75:35 Booking The referee shows Nascimento Ramires a yellow card.
- 75:30 Foul by Nascimento Ramires on Giorgio Chiellini, free kick awarded.
- 75:01 The ball is delivered by Eden Hazard, Victor Moses takes a shot. Andrea Barzagli gets a block in.
- 73:53 The ball is sent over by Martin Caceres, Effort on goal by Mirko Vucinic from inside the penalty area goes harmlessly over the bar.
- 71:55 Shot from outside the box by Mirko Vucinic misses to the left of the target.
- 71:28 Kwadwo Asamoah produces a left-footed shot from the edge of the area and misses to the left of the goal.
- 70:10 Substitution Fernando Torres joins the action as a substitute, replacing Mikel.
- 69:36 Effort on goal by Eden Hazard from 20 yards. Claudio Marchisio gets a block in.
- 68:07 The ball is delivered by Martin Caceres, Ashley Cole gets a block in.
- 67:11 Substitution Martin Caceres comes on in place of Stephan Lichtsteiner.
- 66:11 Juan Mata takes the inswinging corner, save by Gianluigi Buffon.
- 63:52 Foul by Mirko Vucinic on Branislav Ivanovic, free kick awarded. Branislav Ivanovic takes the direct free kick.
- 63:14 Juan Mata delivers the ball, clearance made by Kwadwo Asamoah.
- 60:46 Kwadwo Asamoah provided the assist for the goal.
- 60:46 GOAL - Arturo Vidal:Juventus 2 - 0 Chelsea Arturo Vidal gets on the score sheet with a goal from deep inside the penalty box low into the middle of the goal. Juventus 2-0 Chelsea.
- 60:02 Shot from just outside the area by Mirko Vucinic goes over the bar.
- 59:15 Substitution Cesar Azpilicueta goes off and Victor Moses comes on.
- 58:21 Fabio Quagliarella takes a shot. Save by Petr Cech. Andrea Pirlo takes the outswinging corner, Header from deep inside the area by Leonardo Bonucci goes over the bar.
- 57:28 Andrea Pirlo produces a curled right-footed shot from 25 yards. Petr Cech makes a save. Outswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Andrea Pirlo, Emboaba Oscar manages to make a clearance.
- 57:00 Fabio Quagliarella takes a shot. Save made by Petr Cech.
- 56:43 Andrea Pirlo takes a shot from 20 yards. Blocked by Gary Cahill.
- 55:38 Arturo Vidal produces a cross, Branislav Ivanovic makes a clearance.
- 54:38 Centre by Cesar Azpilicueta, clearance made by Giorgio Chiellini.
- 53:24 The ball is delivered by Eden Hazard, Headed effort from inside the area by Cesar Azpilicueta misses to the right of the target.
- 52:29 Emboaba Oscar fouled by Andrea Pirlo, the ref awards a free kick. Mikel takes the direct free kick.
- 51:32 The ball is swung over by Juan Mata, clearance made by Giorgio Chiellini.
- 50:01 Giorgio Chiellini gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Juan Mata. Shot on goal comes in from Juan Mata from the free kick.
- 48:23 Arturo Vidal takes a shot. Save made by Petr Cech.
- 46:54 Mirko Vucinic produces a drilled right-footed shot from deep inside the penalty area which goes wide of the right-hand post.
- 45:23 The ball is crossed by Kwadwo Asamoah.
- 45:01 The game restarts for the second half.
- Half Time
- 45:00+1:03 It is the end of the first-half.
- 45:00 The ball is sent over by Eden Hazard, clearance made by Leonardo Bonucci.
- 43:33 Shot on goal by Emboaba Oscar from inside the box goes harmlessly over the target.
- 42:45 Outswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Andrea Pirlo, Arturo Vidal concedes a free kick for a foul on Branislav Ivanovic. Petr Cech takes the free kick.
- 40:58 Direct free kick taken by Mikel.
- 40:58 Booking Leonardo Bonucci is shown a yellow card.
- 40:53 Leonardo Bonucci concedes a free kick for a foul on Eden Hazard.
- 39:46 Juan Mata takes a shot. Save by Petr Cech.
- 39:14 Stephan Lichtsteiner takes a shot. Clearance made by Ashley Cole.
- 37:28 Assist on the goal came from Andrea Pirlo.
- 37:28 GOAL - Fabio Quagliarella:Juventus 1 - 0 Chelsea Fabio Quagliarella finds the net with a goal from the edge of the area to the bottom right corner of the goal. Juventus 1-0 Chelsea.
- 37:27 Andrea Pirlo takes a shot.
- 35:23 Emboaba Oscar takes a shot. Leonardo Bonucci gets a block in.
- 34:44 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Andrea Pirlo by Emboaba Oscar. Leonardo Bonucci takes the free kick.
- 32:46 Giorgio Chiellini crosses the ball, Petr Cech makes a comfortable save.
- 32:19 Claudio Marchisio fouled by David Luiz, the ref awards a free kick. Andrea Pirlo takes the direct free kick.
- 31:40 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Eden Hazard by Andrea Pirlo. Mikel takes the free kick.
- 31:12 The ball is sent over by Stephan Lichtsteiner, Gary Cahill gets a block in.
- 29:50 A cross is delivered by Stephan Lichtsteiner.
- 29:10 Effort from outside the box by Nascimento Ramires goes wide right of the target.
- 26:14 Claudio Marchisio gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Emboaba Oscar. The free kick is delivered left-footed by Juan Mata from right wing, save by Gianluigi Buffon.
- 25:21 Kwadwo Asamoah concedes a free kick for a foul on Mikel. Direct free kick taken by Mikel.
- 23:04 Foul by Branislav Ivanovic on Arturo Vidal, free kick awarded. Shot comes in from Andrea Pirlo from the free kick, save made by Petr Cech.
- 22:29 Mirko Vucinic takes a shot. Save made by Petr Cech.
- 19:54 Effort from 18 yards by Fabio Quagliarella. Save by Petr Cech.
- 19:25 Fabio Quagliarella takes a shot. Petr Cech makes a comfortable save.
- 18:01 Fabio Quagliarella is caught offside. Direct free kick taken by Petr Cech.
- 16:07 Unfair challenge on Nascimento Ramires by Arturo Vidal results in a free kick. Free kick taken by Mikel.
- 15:56 The ball is crossed by Kwadwo Asamoah, Branislav Ivanovic makes a clearance.
- 15:20 Cesar Azpilicueta fouled by Fabio Quagliarella, the ref awards a free kick. Branislav Ivanovic takes the direct free kick.
- Correction - 14:18 Andrea Pirlo decides to take the corner short, Claudio Marchisio takes a shot. Save by Petr Cech. Outswinging corner taken by Andrea Pirlo.
- 14:18 Andrea Pirlo takes a short corner, Mirko Vucinic takes a shot. Save by Petr Cech. Outswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Andrea Pirlo.
- 13:15 Arturo Vidal sends in a cross, clearance by Nascimento Ramires. Corner taken by Andrea Pirlo from the right by-line played to the near post, clearance by Gary Cahill.
- 12:39 Cesar Azpilicueta fouled by Fabio Quagliarella, the ref awards a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Petr Cech.
- 12:16 Outswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Andrea Pirlo, Branislav Ivanovic makes a clearance.
- 10:52 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Arturo Vidal by Nascimento Ramires. Arturo Vidal takes the direct free kick.
- 9:57 The offside flag is raised against Kwadwo Asamoah. Petr Cech takes the free kick.
- 8:57 Corner taken left-footed by Juan Mata from the right by-line, Gary Cahill concedes a free kick for a foul on Leonardo Bonucci. Free kick taken by Gianluigi Buffon.
- 8:37 Eden Hazard takes a shot. Save by Gianluigi Buffon.
- 8:08 Centre by Kwadwo Asamoah, clearance by Branislav Ivanovic.
- 5:59 Claudio Marchisio gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Nascimento Ramires. Gary Cahill takes the free kick.
- 4:52 A cross is delivered by Fabio Quagliarella, blocked by Gary Cahill. Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Andrea Pirlo from the left by-line to the near post, Giorgio Chiellini produces a header from inside the area that goes over the crossbar.
- 4:20 Effort from long distance by Branislav Ivanovic goes wide right of the target.
- 3:51 The ball is sent over by Kwadwo Asamoah, save made by Petr Cech.
- 3:04 A cross is delivered by Mirko Vucinic, Shot by Stephan Lichtsteiner. Save by Petr Cech.
- 1:44 The ball is sent over by Kwadwo Asamoah, clearance by David Luiz.
- 0:00 The game gets underway.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.