Man City 1 - 1 Real Madrid
Manchester City are out of the Champions League at the group stage for the second successive season after they were held to a draw by Real Madrid at the Etihad.
Roberto Mancini's side needed victory to maintain any hope of progress but fell behind to Karim Benzema's early goal.
Real threatened to run riot in the early stages as former Manchester United star Cristiano Ronaldo - given a predictably hostile reception - saw an effort scrambled off the line and Sami Khedira wasted three opportunities.
"Man City's Abu Dhabi owners operate to a different set of rules than Roman Abramovich at Chelsea and they support a manager who brought City their first title for 44 years last season and currently has them top of the Premier League. What cannot be dismissed, though, is that this has been a dispiriting Champions League campaign for a club of such high ambition."
Mancini's three-man defensive system was being easily exploited by Real but City finally came into the game when the necessary alterations were made after the break.
Sergio Aguero equalised from the spot after 74 minutes following a foul by Alvaro Arbeloa, who was sent off after receiving a second yellow card, but even a late rally could not bring the goal they needed.
City are rooted to the bottom of Group D without a win and only three points from five games so the Premier League champions can have no complaints about making yet another early exit from the Champions League.
Mancini's own record in the competition, both with City and Inter Milan, also remains a disappointment and harsh lessons will have to be learned if a third venture into the tournament is to bring better results.
Jose Mourinho's La Liga champions were not wholly convincing and he marched off at the final whistle without the traditional handshake with counterpart Mancini, who had moved towards the edge of the pitch to console his players.
City's task was arduous enough without conceding yet another of the cheap goals that have scarred this disappointing European campaign.
"You can guarantee Manchester City will win the Champions League one day, because of the amount of money they've got and the players they can bring in.
"Whether it'll be under Roberto Mancini I do not know."
"I'm not sure teams of Man City's quality want to be in the Europa League.
"I think the Premier League is their goal and they are the best team in the league. That is where they will focus their attention."
Real were ahead inside 10 minutes when Angel Di Maria crossed from the right, leaving Benzema to apply the easiest of finishes as veteran defender Maicon switched off, leaving Mancini shaking his head in disgust in the technical area.
City were in danger of being torn apart as Real swept forward to put City's back three under pressure, with midfield man Khedira twice unable to provide the end product to Ronaldo's fine approach work.
Ronaldo also had a shot scrambled off the line and City keeper Joe Hart had to race out at the feet of Khedira as Real looked to put the game out of reach in an impressive opening phase.
City, however, offered moments of hope. Aguero was a threat and had a shot pushed over by Iker Casillas while Maicon suggested he would be of more service in an attacking sense rather than defensively with a positive run that ended with a finish poked just wide.
Mancini made a switch at half-time, sending on Javi Garcia for Aleksandar Kolarov. He also reverted to a more orthodox back four. It prompted a far more positive approach after the break and he further added to City's attacking resources by sending on Carlos Tevez for Samir Nasri on the hour.
- Real Madrid have now scored in 15 consecutive CL away games, the best record in their history
It took a remarkable block from Casillas to deny City an equaliser when Aguero stole in on Maicon's deflected cross. A goal looked certain but the goalkeeper clawed the Argentine's effort away.
City's increased endeavour was rewarded with an equaliser and red card for Arbeloa with 16 minutes left. Aguero went down as the pair tangled and once the former Liverpool defender had been sent off the Argentine easily scored from the spot.
As the game entered five minutes of stoppage time, which was greeted with sarcastic applause by Mourinho, Tevez was inches away from getting on the end of another astute pass from the outstanding David Silva.
Live text and stats
Wednesday, 21 November 2012
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
|Man City||1-1||Real Madrid||FT|
- 01 Hart
- 03 Maicon yellow card
- 04 Kompany
- 05 Zabaleta yellow card
- 13 Kolarov (Garcia 46 yellow card)
- 33 Nastasic
- 08 Nasri yellow card (Tevez 60)
- 21 Silva
- 42 Y Toure yellow card
- 10 Dzeko
- 16 Aguero (Milner 88)
- 01 Casillas
- 03 Pepe
- 04 Ramos yellow card
- 05 Coentrao
- 17 Arbeloa two yellow cards, red card
- 06 Khedira
- 07 Ronaldo
- 14 Alonso yellow card
- 19 Modric (Callejon 68)
- 22 Di Maria (Albiol 90)
- 09 Benzema (Varane 74)
- 13 Adan,
- 02 Varane,
- 18 Albiol,
- 24 Nacho,
- 08 Kaka,
- 10 Ozil,
- 21 Callejon
- Man City 50%
- Real Madrid 50%
Attempts on target
- Man City 4
- Real Madrid 10
Attempts off target
- Man City 5
- Real Madrid 4
- Man City 4
- Real Madrid 2
- Man City 21
- Real Madrid 8
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+5:11 The final whistle is blown by the referee.
- 90:00+4:25 Xabi Alonso takes the free kick.
- 90:00+4:25 Booking Francisco Javi Garcia is shown a yellow card.
- 90:00+4:20 Foul by Francisco Javi Garcia on Cristiano Ronaldo, free kick awarded.
- 90:00+2:53 Foul by James Milner on Sami Khedira, free kick awarded. Kleper Pepe takes the direct free kick.
- 90:00+2:30 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Cristiano Ronaldo by Yaya Toure. Free kick taken by Xabi Alonso.
- 90:00+1:04 Yaya Toure takes a shot from just outside the penalty area clears the crossbar.
- 88:49 Kleper Pepe takes the direct free kick.
- 88:49 Substitution Raul Albiol joins the action as a substitute, replacing Angel Di Maria.
- 88:49 Foul by David Silva on Alexandre Fabio Coentrao, free kick awarded.
- 87:26 Substitution James Milner replaces Sergio Aguero.
- 87:06 Centre by Sisenando Maicon, Sami Khedira makes a clearance.
- 85:46 Cristiano Ronaldo fouled by Sisenando Maicon, the ref awards a free kick. Xabi Alonso restarts play with the free kick.
- 84:39 Sisenando Maicon takes the outswinging corner, Cristiano Ronaldo manages to make a clearance.
- 83:52 Carlos Tevez takes a shot. Save made by Iker Casillas.
- 83:17 The ball is swung over by Sami Khedira, Joe Hart makes a save.
- 82:28 Foul by Yaya Toure on Xabi Alonso, free kick awarded. Raphael Varane takes the direct free kick.
- 81:33 The assistant referee signals for offside against Carlos Tevez. Free kick taken by Iker Casillas.
- 78:33 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Cristiano Ronaldo by Vincent Kompany. Direct free kick taken by Xabi Alonso. Angel Di Maria fouled by Pablo Zabaleta, the ref awards a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Xabi Alonso.
- 78:06 Centre by Edin Dzeko.
- 76:08 Cristiano Ronaldo takes a shot. Matija Nastasic gets a block in.
- 74:21 Cristiano Ronaldo is ruled offside. Matija Nastasic takes the free kick.
- 73:48 Substitution Raphael Varane on for Karim Benzema.
- 73:03 GOAL - Sergio Aguero:Man City 1 - 1 Real Madrid Penalty taken right-footed by Sergio Aguero and scored. Man City 1-1 Real Madrid.
- 72:15 Sent off Alvaro Arbeloa is sent off.
- 72:03 Alvaro Arbeloa concedes a Penalty for a foul on Sergio Aguero.
- 69:25 Garcia Sergio Ramos challenges Sergio Aguero unfairly and gives away a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Francisco Javi Garcia.
- 66:56 Xabi Alonso takes the free kick.
- 66:56 Substitution Jose Maria Callejon replaces Luka Modric.
- 66:56 Free kick awarded for a foul by Francisco Javi Garcia on Luka Modric.
- 65:16 Cristiano Ronaldo takes a shot. Save made by Joe Hart. The official flags Sami Khedira offside. Joe Hart restarts play with the free kick.
- 63:51 Sergio Aguero takes a shot. Save by Iker Casillas. Angel Di Maria fouled by David Silva, the ref awards a free kick. Xabi Alonso takes the direct free kick.
- 60:32 David Silva has a direct shot on goal from the free kick.
- 60:32 Booking Garcia Sergio Ramos is given a yellow card.
- 60:29 The referee penalises Garcia Sergio Ramos for handball.
- 59:31 Substitution Carlos Tevez on for Samir Nasri.
- 57:47 Xabi Alonso takes the direct free kick.
- 57:47 Booking Booking for Pablo Zabaleta for unsporting behaviour.
- 57:41 Pablo Zabaleta gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Angel Di Maria.
- 55:58 Sami Khedira takes a shot. Save by Joe Hart.
- 54:18 David Silva takes a shot. Save by Iker Casillas.
- 53:01 Unfair challenge on Angel Di Maria by Pablo Zabaleta results in a free kick. Xabi Alonso restarts play with the free kick.
- 52:33 Garcia Sergio Ramos takes the free kick.
- 52:33 Booking The referee shows Samir Nasri a yellow card for unsporting behaviour.
- 52:28 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Luka Modric by Samir Nasri.
- 50:24 Unfair challenge on Karim Benzema by Pablo Zabaleta results in a free kick. Xabi Alonso takes the direct free kick.
- 50:07 Samir Nasri produces a cross, comfortable save by Iker Casillas.
- 48:10 Effort from deep inside the area by Sergio Aguero misses to the right of the target.
- 47:29 Yaya Toure restarts play with the free kick.
- 47:29 Booking Xabi Alonso receives a yellow card for unsporting behaviour.
- 47:26 Xabi Alonso gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on David Silva.
- 46:19 Samir Nasri takes the inswinging corner, Xabi Alonso makes a clearance.
- 45:01 The referee gets the second half underway.
- 45:01 Substitution Francisco Javi Garcia comes on in place of Aleksandar Kolarov.
- Half Time
- 45:00+0:05 The referee calls an end to the first half.
- 44:25 Samir Nasri challenges Alvaro Arbeloa unfairly and gives away a free kick. The free kick is swung in left-footed by Angel Di Maria, clearance by Vincent Kompany.
- 43:37 Shot by Karim Benzema from outside the box goes over the net.
- 42:29 Pablo Zabaleta fouled by Alvaro Arbeloa, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick taken by David Silva.
- 40:47 Sergio Aguero is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Indirect free kick taken by Kleper Pepe.
- 39:28 Xabi Alonso takes the direct free kick.
- 39:28 Booking Sisenando Maicon goes into the book.
- 39:21 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Karim Benzema by Sisenando Maicon.
- 33:49 Foul by Aleksandar Kolarov on Alvaro Arbeloa, free kick awarded. Direct free kick taken by Iker Casillas.
- 31:55 Aleksandar Kolarov shoots direct from the free kick.
- 31:55 Booking Caution for Alvaro Arbeloa.
- 31:38 Foul by Alvaro Arbeloa on David Silva, free kick awarded.
- 30:42 Unfair challenge on Kleper Pepe by Sergio Aguero results in a free kick. Iker Casillas takes the direct free kick.
- 28:57 Xabi Alonso takes the direct free kick.
- 28:57 Booking The referee books Yaya Toure for unsporting behaviour.
- 28:42 Yaya Toure challenges Cristiano Ronaldo unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 26:39 Sisenando Maicon produces a right-footed shot from the edge of the box and misses to the left of the target.
- 24:35 Karim Benzema takes a shot. Save by Joe Hart.
- 23:42 Corner from the left by-line taken by Samir Nasri, save by Iker Casillas.
- 23:12 Sami Khedira takes a shot. Save by Joe Hart.
- 22:52 The referee blows for offside. Indirect free kick taken by Pablo Zabaleta.
- 22:21 The referee blows for offside against Karim Benzema. Matija Nastasic restarts play with the free kick.
- 21:40 The referee blows for offside against Matija Nastasic. Iker Casillas takes the indirect free kick.
- 20:47 Sergio Aguero takes a shot. Save by Iker Casillas. Corner taken left-footed by David Silva, Iker Casillas makes a save.
- 18:56 Luka Modric takes a shot. Vincent Kompany gets a block in. Angel Di Maria takes the outswinging corner, Kleper Pepe takes a shot. Save made by Joe Hart.
- 14:54 Cristiano Ronaldo takes a shot. Clearance by Pablo Zabaleta. Cristiano Ronaldo takes a shot. Save by Joe Hart. Inswinging corner taken by Angel Di Maria from the right by-line.
- 13:32 Sami Khedira has a headed effort at goal from close in which goes wide left of the goal.
- 12:20 Effort from inside the area by Sami Khedira misses to the right of the goal.
- 11:39 A cross is delivered by Sisenando Maicon, save made by Iker Casillas.
- 9:42 The assist for the goal came from Angel Di Maria.
- 9:42 GOAL - Karim Benzema:Man City 0 - 1 Real Madrid Karim Benzema scores a goal from inside the six-yard box to the top left corner of the goal. Man City 0-1 Real Madrid.
- 9:20 Angel Di Maria takes a shot. Blocked by Matija Nastasic.
- 8:25 Karim Benzema concedes a free kick for a foul on Aleksandar Kolarov. Vincent Kompany takes the direct free kick.
- 7:51 The assistant referee flags for offside against Karim Benzema. Vincent Kompany restarts play with the free kick.
- 6:51 The ball is delivered by Alexandre Fabio Coentrao, clearance by Vincent Kompany. Garcia Sergio Ramos challenges Edin Dzeko unfairly and gives away a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Yaya Toure.
- 5:22 Sisenando Maicon concedes a free kick for a foul on Garcia Sergio Ramos. Garcia Sergio Ramos takes the free kick.
- 4:02 Karim Benzema is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Vincent Kompany takes the indirect free kick. Sami Khedira concedes a free kick for a foul on Aleksandar Kolarov. Free kick crossed left-footed by Aleksandar Kolarov from left wing, save by Iker Casillas.
- 2:11 Handball by Karim Benzema. Pablo Zabaleta restarts play with the free kick. Foul by David Silva on Alexandre Fabio Coentrao, free kick awarded. Xabi Alonso takes the direct free kick.
- 0:00 The match gets underway.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
CommentsJump to comments pagination
Comment number 220.Removed
22nd November 2012 - 13:33
Comment number 219.bored23
22nd November 2012 - 13:26
Comment number 218.EverySingleGoal
22nd November 2012 - 13:21
Comment number 217.bored23
22nd November 2012 - 12:59
Comment number 216.swintondude
22nd November 2012 - 12:54