Lazio 0 - 0 Tottenham
Tottenham require a draw at home from their final Europa League group game after playing out a frustrating stalemate against Lazio in Rome.
Gareth Bale had the ball in the hosts' net within five minutes but it was incorrectly ruled out for offside.
Spurs goalkeeper Hugo Lloris made a string of impressive saves.
The France international thwarted striker Libor Kozak four times, including a fingertip save to deflect a dipping shot onto the crossbar.
Prior to kick-off Paul Gascoigne, a mercurial midfield talent for both of these clubs in his colourful career, was paraded before supporters at the Stadio Olimpico.
Lloris saves the day for Spurs
August deadline day signing Hugo Lloris has been in goal for all of Tottenham's Europa League group fixtures, and his saves against Libor Kozak and Michael Ciani guaranteed his side a clean sheet in Rome.
The 45-year-old had not been present at the earlier fixture in September when the two sides also played out a goalless draw.
That earlier stalemate was the first of four in Spurs's five group games this season.
And Panathinaikos's 1-0 win in Athens over MK Maribor on Thursday means a single point for the Londoners against the Greek team on 6 December at White Hart Lane will ensure qualification to the last 32.
Before Thursday's match Spurs manager Andre Villas-Boas promised his team would play for the win in Rome, and he selected a competitive starting XI mixing youth and experience.
The midfield of Tottenham included 20-year-old Tom Carroll, and it was his perfectly-weighted ball that released Bale in the fifth minute.
The Welsh international escaped defender Luis Cavanda's attentions, rounded keeper Federico Marchetti and slotted the ball home from an angle.
However, Spanish referee Fernando Teixeira disallowed the goal for an offside - a decision that appeared harsh at the time and worse on replay.
That was Tottenham's brightest moment of the first half, as their central midfield trio of Carroll, Sandro and Clint Dempsey struggled to assert themselves.
It was Spurs keeper Lloris, who retained his place despite conceding five in the league against Arsenal on Saturday, who proved the visitors' saviour.
First, the August deadline day signing tipped a dipping Libor Kozak strike on to the bar, then he successfully blocked a scuffed effort from the Czech frontman wide. Lazio were clearly missing their feared German frontman, Miroslav Klose.
Lloris's best moment of the half came five minutes before the interval, sprinting off his line to smother a Lazio through ball on the very edge of his area.
Goal shy Group J
Before this latest round of fixtures, Group J had seen the fewest shots on goal in the Europa League with just 63.
Tottenham fashioned half-chances of their own, but with no end product.
Bale, who switched to the right wing at points throughout the game, cut inside on 22 minutes and unleashed a fierce cross-shot which Marchetti did well to palm over.
A cross in the second half from Emmanuel Adebayor was headed straight on to the right boot of Clint Dempsey three yards out, before the hosts' captain Stefano Mauri intercepted to cut off the danger.
Tottenham seemed to be exerting some control of the tie, but on 60 minutes Sandro lost the ball in a dangerous area and Kozac found himself through after dispossessing Steven Caulker.
However, composure again deserted the Czech, who dragged his shot badly wide.
With a win needed to assure qualification from Group J on the night, Villas-Boas introduced his artillery just after the hour, bringing on Jermain Defoe and Aaron Lennon.
But if anything, the change in Tottenham personnel spurred on Lazio, and they could have won it at the death.
An effort on Lloris's goal cannoned off the back of Sandro's head and behind. From the resulting corner centre-back Michael Ciani rose unmarked and headed down and hard.
It was only instinctive reactions from Loris which blocked the effort, the ball bouncing back into danger but ultimately hooked clear, keeping the fixture goalless and Tottenham still in the hunt for the knockout stages.
Live text and stats
Thursday, 22 November 2012
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 22 Marchetti
- 02 Ciani
- 20 Biava
- 26 Radu
- 39 Cavanda
- 06 Mauri
- 08 Hernanes (Ederson 69)
- 15 Gonzalez Luengo
- 19 Lulic (Candreva 78)
- 24 Ledesma
- 18 Kozak (Floccari 78 yellow card)
- 01 Bizzarri,
- 05 Scaloni,
- 07 Ederson,
- 23 Onazi,
- 87 Candreva,
- 25 Rozzi,
- 99 Floccari
- 25 Lloris
- 05 Vertonghen yellow card
- 16 Naughton
- 28 Walker
- 33 Caulker
- 02 Dempsey (Defoe 63)
- 11 Bale
- 22 Sigurdsson (Lennon 63)
- 30 Sandro
- 46 Carroll (Dembele 76)
- 10 Adebayor
- Lazio 45%
- Tottenham 55%
Attempts on target
- Lazio 3
- Tottenham 0
Attempts off target
- Lazio 8
- Tottenham 0
- Lazio 5
- Tottenham 9
- Lazio 5
- Tottenham 10
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+3:04 The referee ends the match.
- 90:00+1:16 Effort from inside the area by Sergio Floccari misses to the right of the goal.
- 90:00+1:00 Mousa Dembele challenges Honorato Ederson unfairly and gives away a free kick. Michael Ciani takes the direct free kick.
- 89:36 Corner taken by Gareth Bale.
- 84:49 Hugo Lloris takes the free kick.
- 84:49 Booking Sergio Floccari receives a caution for unsporting behaviour.
- 84:47 Sergio Floccari is penalised for a handball.
- 84:01 Corner taken right-footed by Antonio Candreva from the left by-line, Michael Ciani takes a shot. Hugo Lloris makes a fantastic save.
- 80:30 Inswinging corner taken from the left by-line by Antonio Candreva.
- 79:01 Inswinging corner taken by Antonio Candreva from the left by-line, free kick awarded for a foul by Stefano Mauri on Hugo Lloris. Direct free kick taken by Hugo Lloris.
- Correction - 77:49 Substitution Libor Kozak goes off and Sergio Floccari comes on.
- Correction - 77:49 Substitution Antonio Candreva joins the action as a substitute, replacing Senad Lulic.
- 77:49 Substitution Sergio Floccari comes on in place of Libor Kozak.
- 77:49 Substitution Antonio Candreva replaces Senad Lulic.
- 75:45 Substitution Mousa Dembele is brought on as a substitute for Tom Carroll.
- 74:50 Free kick taken by Cristian Ledesma.
- 74:50 Booking Jan Vertonghen booked.
- 74:39 Foul by Jan Vertonghen on Honorato Ederson, free kick awarded.
- 74:08 Senad Lulic is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Hugo Lloris takes the free kick.
- 69:17 Steven Caulker gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Honorato Ederson. Cristian Ledesma produces a strike on goal direct from the free kick.
- 68:21 Substitution Honorato Ederson on for Anderson Hernanes.
- 65:22 Stefano Mauri is caught offside. Indirect free kick taken by Hugo Lloris.
- 65:03 Libor Kozak takes a shot. Save by Hugo Lloris.
- 63:37 Senad Lulic is caught offside. Hugo Lloris takes the free kick.
- 62:48 Substitution Aaron Lennon joins the action as a substitute, replacing Gylfi Sigurdsson.
- 62:48 Substitution Jermain Defoe comes on in place of Clint Dempsey.
- 62:30 Libor Kozak is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Hugo Lloris restarts play with the free kick.
- 60:13 Effort from inside the area by Libor Kozak misses to the left of the goal.
- 58:22 Inswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Gareth Bale.
- 55:29 Corner taken by Gareth Bale.
- 51:53 Free kick awarded for a foul by Giuseppe Biava on Clint Dempsey. Free kick taken by Steven Caulker.
- 50:02 Inswinging corner taken left-footed by Gareth Bale from the right by-line, save made by Federico Marchetti.
- 45:01 The second half kicks off.
- Half Time
- 45:00+0:05 The whistle is blown to end the first half.
- 44:17 Foul by Tom Carroll on Cristian Ledesma, free kick awarded. Free kick taken by Federico Marchetti.
- 43:40 Clint Dempsey gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Giuseppe Biava. Direct free kick taken by Federico Marchetti.
- 42:02 The referee penalises Clint Dempsey for handball. Federico Marchetti takes the free kick.
- 38:52 Senad Lulic is ruled offside. Indirect free kick taken by Hugo Lloris.
- 36:06 Inswinging corner taken by Anderson Hernanes.
- 35:20 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Cristian Ledesma by Clint Dempsey. Cristian Ledesma takes the free kick.
- 34:05 Senad Lulic is caught offside. Indirect free kick taken by Hugo Lloris.
- 31:25 Foul by Raniere Sandro on Cristian Ledesma, free kick awarded. Direct free kick taken by Cristian Ledesma.
- 30:33 Header from close in by Libor Kozak misses to the right of the target.
- 29:59 Unfair challenge on Libor Kozak by Raniere Sandro results in a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Senad Lulic.
- 28:55 Free kick awarded for a foul by Senad Lulic on Kyle Walker. Kyle Walker takes the direct free kick.
- 27:01 Corner taken right-footed by Anderson Hernanes, Gareth Bale manages to make a clearance.
- 26:38 Libor Kozak takes a shot. Hugo Lloris makes a save.
- 26:02 Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Gylfi Sigurdsson from the left by-line.
- 25:05 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Gylfi Sigurdsson by Stefan Radu. Gareth Bale takes the direct free kick.
- 23:28 Effort from the edge of the area by Cristian Ledesma goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 22:14 Corner taken by Gareth Bale from the right by-line.
- 22:03 Centre by Gareth Bale, save by Federico Marchetti.
- 20:01 Corner taken by Gylfi Sigurdsson from the right by-line, save by Federico Marchetti.
- 19:27 Gareth Bale takes the inswinging corner, Cristian Ledesma makes a clearance.
- 18:19 Effort from inside the six-yard box by Senad Lulic goes wide right of the goal.
- 17:47 Cristian Ledesma takes a shot.
- 15:14 Effort on goal by Senad Lulic from just inside the penalty area goes over the target.
- 14:52 Foul by Clint Dempsey on Cristian Ledesma, free kick awarded. Free kick taken by Cristian Ledesma.
- 13:01 Corner taken by Gylfi Sigurdsson from the left by-line.
- 10:42 The referee blows for offside. Federico Marchetti restarts play with the free kick.
- 9:37 Michael Ciani challenges Clint Dempsey unfairly and gives away a free kick. Tom Carroll restarts play with the free kick.
- 7:15 Free kick awarded for a foul by Kyle Walker on Senad Lulic. Cristian Ledesma takes the direct free kick.
- 4:34 The assistant referee signals for offside against Gareth Bale. Federico Marchetti takes the free kick.
- 2:57 Stefano Mauri is ruled offside. Hugo Lloris takes the free kick.
- 0:00 The match has kicked off.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.